soft pellets

dead peg

Reaction score
Hello guys.I want to use soft pellets on the hook.Is there any way to soften pellets without using a pellet pump or buying them already softened (expensive) ?
I read somewhere you can presoak them to soften them but I cant remember how you go about it or where I read it
Thanks for any advice

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello guys.I want to use soft pellets on the hook.Is there any way to soften pellets without using a pellet pump or buying them already softened (expensive) ?
I read somewhere you can presoak them to soften them but I cant remember how you go about it or where I read it
Thanks for any advice

If you buy expanders from your local tackle shop he should tell you the best way to prepare them. If they are branded there should be instructions on the bag. I use my local, unbranded expanders, sink them with a pellet pump and added flavourings before leaving home and when I start fishing they are usually spot -on. The cheapo pellet pumps that look like a bike pump are the best. I watched my local tackle dealer trying to demonstrate a nice fancy Band-It pellet pump the other day and the buggers just wouldn't sink! :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just put some expanders in a bowl, pour boiling water on top (best to do this outside as they will smell a bit) - let them soak it up for a few minutes and cool a bit then transfer the pellets to a freezer bag and into the fridge for next morning.(make sure the bag's well sealed otherwise it will stink the fridge out)
Jerry

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Expanders are hard to get just right, especially for casting on the waggler or feeder, that's why pellet pumps have become so popular as it's easy to get them on the firmer side and sinking.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The rule I follow for softening pellets for the method feeder is 1 or 2 seconds in boiling water per mm of the pellet
So 8mm pellets get 8 seconds in boiling water

This is not an exact science as you will appreciate and something that needs you to experiment with

After tipping the boiling water out, rinse the pellets in cold water , drain and put u=in the fridge in a plastic food bag

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks guys.These pellets are only getting pole fished the margins by my son who's knew to pole fishing so only need them for short pleasure sessions.I should have said that in O.Post ...sorry
I'll get him a pump and the rest of pole kit he needs once I know he's taken to pole fishing

Last edited:
C

chefster

Buy a bag of Ringers 4mm and 6 mm expanders,buy a pop down pellet pump(these only require 1 pump to sink pellets)add pellets to pump top up with water/any flavours-pump once,then leave pellets in for 2 or 3 mins then drain,put pellets in sealed bag or tub and fridge-job done perfect sinkers that can be fed or pole fished....any you dont use you can freeze for next session ....Cheers Chef

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Re "expensive" soft pellets... worth bearing in mind that these are only going on the hook. I tend to find a bag of sonu s-pellets (I use the 8mm ones for either method fishing hair rigged or fishing on a size 14 in the margins) will last me a couple of seasons easily. I would then feed normal pellets, 6mm or 8mm halibuts or carp pellets (sinking). The s-pellets stay on really well, and ooze a lot of oil and flavour.

C

chefster

Re "expensive" soft pellets... worth bearing in mind that these are only going on the hook. I tend to find a bag of sonu s-pellets (I use the 8mm ones for either method fishing hair rigged or fishing on a size 14 in the margins) will last me a couple of seasons easily. I would then feed normal pellets, 6mm or 8mm halibuts or carp pellets (sinking). The s-pellets stay on really well, and ooze a lot of oil and flavour.

S-Pellets are,nt true soft pellets,they are tough and rubbery,whilst being durable for method hair rigging -they are absolutely useless,fished on a hook on the pole,even soft hookers sold in tubs are not soft enough-you miss to many bites-expanders are the best route to go-....Chefster