preston or drennan 10ft float rod?

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
about £50 price difference between the two but is the preston rod a better tool

I'm looking for a rod suitable for small stream and boat fishing for big roach, rudd, perch and chub. 3-6lb line and 10ft max length

sis the roach

Reaction score
drennan has been making rods for along time imo they have never made a bad rod i have got 5 drennan rods from the first waggler stick rods i would say that they as good as any on the market and cheaper

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
too late I bought the Preston rod on sat, used it today on a small stream and had a few dace and chub to 4lb 4oz on it

well happy as it is a proper float rod that is responsive to small fish but still has the guts for a lump or two.

they didn't have the drennan in the shop so I could not compare the two together. I'm not so impressed with drennan rods as others seem to be anyway I have 2 avon quivers 1-1/4 and the reel fittings on both do not feel as secure as on better rods like Harrisons, most drennan rods have single leg eyes and the "cork" handles aren't even proper cork. they have a kind of veneer that rubs off and underneath is reconstituted cork dust!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
too late I bought the Preston rod on sat, used it today on a small stream and had a few dace and chub to 4lb 4oz on it

well happy as it is a proper float rod that is responsive to small fish but still has the guts for a lump or two.

they didn't have the drennan in the shop so I could not compare the two together. I'm not so impressed with drennan rods as others seem to be anyway I have 2 avon quivers 1-1/4 and the reel fittings on both do not feel as secure as on better rods like Harrisons, most drennan rods have single leg eyes and the "cork" handles aren't even proper cork. they have a kind of veneer that rubs off and underneath is reconstituted cork dust!!

I don't know what rods you've been lookin' at but drennan rods mostly have cork handles. Also what's wrong with single leg guides, my normark float rods have single legs guides so do my Hardys. Even on their latest rods drennan use Fuji real seats which are well known for being amongst the best reels seats available
Although I am a big fan of drennan rods i'm no lover of their latest offerings ...in particular the compact collection.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I handled a Greys 10ft float in the local shop last week mate, it's a really nice piece of kit, not sure if you've considered it but I seem to remember it being a fairly decent price!

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
I don't know what rods you've been lookin' at but drennan rods mostly have cork handles. Also what's wrong with single leg guides, my normark float rods have single legs guides so do my Hardys. Even on their latest rods drennan use Fuji real seats which are well known for being amongst the best reels seats available
Although I am a big fan of drennan rods i'm no lover of their latest offerings ...in particular the compact collection.

if you read my post that you have quoted it says avon quiver 1lb 1/4 and I have been using them for just under a year the single leg eyes are flimsy. the real seat does not secure the real tightly in fact if you over tighten it pops loose again unlike the real seat on the preston rod and my harrisons which are rock solid. and the coating on the cork handles are less than 12 months old and have worn away at the point where they sit on the butt grips to reveal reconstituted cork dust.

the blanks though are lite and responsive and have a really nice action for bream and tench fishing on 6-8lb line

just being honest!!

I am going to buy a second preston 10ft float so will compare with the drennan in the shop if they have it in stock when I vissit.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
if you read my post that you have quoted it says avon quiver 1lb 1/4 and I have been using them for just under a year the single leg eyes are flimsy. the real seat does not secure the real tightly in fact if you over tighten it pops loose again unlike the real seat on the preston rod and my harrisons which are rock solid. and the coating on the cork handles are less than 12 months old and have worn away at the point where they sit on the butt grips to reveal reconstituted cork dust.

the blanks though are lite and responsive and have a really nice action for bream and tench fishing on 6-8lb line

just being honest!!

I am going to buy a second preston 10ft float so will compare with the drennan in the shop if they have it in stock when I vissit.

Maybe that's why drennan rods are cheaper now, I know they've started using cheaper fittings (guides). Is the reel seat fuji ? I know I have a Bowler rod from drennan and was dissapointed to see it hasn't got a fuji reel seat.
I would imagine this is all down to profit margins and keeping prices down.
Personally i'd prefer to save up and pay a bit extra for a good all over rod.
As I said i'm not very keen on drennans later rods and if i'm honest I wouldn't buy on.

I've just had a quick look on drennans website and it no longer says fuji fittings but just sic guides and screw down reel seats.

Last edited:

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
no mate, just checked and my harrison reel seats have fuji written on them underneath the drennans have a little band exactly the same size and in exactly the same place but no writing on it.............clever??

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know I may sound a bit mad going on about fuji reel seats and guides but imo there the best i've seen. The guides are strong and the reel seats heve never let me down as some do and they arn't even expensive to buy...at least not in the numbers a company like drennan would buy them, so to use cheap versions just to save coppers is daft imo.