Avon rod - Wilson, Drennan, Wychwood or JW Young?

sam vimes

Reaction score
As I recall Sam you dont like centrepin reels as well is there something personal going on :D

Wrong, I just don't go for the hype around them. I don't buy into the rose tinted nostalgia. I have one and use it when it's the best tool for the job. As far as I'm concerned, that means relatively short range trotting.

You did prompt me to dig out my Wilson Avon just to see if re-appraisal was warranted. The accidental damage hasn't rendered it unusable. However, it'll not get used in preference to either Daiwa Powermesh Avon or Fox Duo-Lite Avon.
The quiver section is marginally better than the Avon. The Avon section is spongy and unresponsive. I appreciate that it's a through action rod but it's excessively floppy for my taste. Tip response is dismal. Neither of the other two rods are any less through actioned, neither are as spongy.

jimlad

Reaction score
I'll have it Chris ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I ain't going for the Wilson on the grounds its 1.25lb tc and Wychwood and Shakeys are out 'cos they're 12ft. So it's the Drennan 1.5lb or a Harrison, and the call will be going in to my mate at Harrison's first thing tomorrow about prices, etc for the 1lb 6oz Avon.

I have just seen a beautiful reel in my local tackle store to go with it, the new Shimano Exage 4000 Front Drag, No messing about with budget reels when after barbel - drag as smooth as whipped cream!

trotter2

Reaction score
Wrong, I just don't go for the hype around them. I don't buy into the rose tinted nostalgia. I have one and use it when it's the best tool for the job. As far as I'm concerned, that means relatively short range trotting.

You did prompt me to dig out my Wilson Avon just to see if re-appraisal was warranted. The accidental damage hasn't rendered it unusable. However, it'll not get used in preference to either Daiwa Powermesh Avon or Fox Duo-Lite Avon.
The quiver section is marginally better than the Avon. The Avon section is spongy and unresponsive. I appreciate that it's a through action rod but it's excessively floppy for my taste. Tip response is dismal. Neither of the other two rods are any less through actioned, neither are as spongy.

Hi Sam
It does sound like you have an early model the newer models are not spongy I can assure you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hi Sam
It does sound like you have an early model the newer models are not spongy I can assure you.

Yep, original Masterline. Bottle green blank, dark whippings, dismal quality ringing, horrendous abbreviated duplon with slide (off your) reel fittings. So few redeeming features, but I keep on being told that it's the dogs doodads. I've even offered to give it away before and had no takers.

I'll have it Chris ;)

Sold! I'm not paying you to take it away though.

jimlad

Reaction score
In all seriousness, the originals fetch good money on eBay, I'd get it out up. Might be worth £30 - £40 +pp on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
In all seriousness, the originals fetch good money on eBay, I'd get it out up. Might be worth £30 - £40 +pp on eBay

The damage renders it unsalable but not unusable. I couldn't in all good conscience sell what, even without damage, I genuinely believe to be a heap of junk. In all seriousness, if you want it, you can have it.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They don't go for that much on eBay, I was watching one that went for £22 and am currently watching one that bid up to £18.50 but I won't be biting.

trotter2

Reaction score
Last edited:

walney1956

Reaction score
The Harrison Avon would be good choice. I have had one for a few years and it has handled chub and barbel fine on a narrow snaggy river so should be ok for the Dane. With and quiver top it would be even better.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Had a peruse, it may have been the Sulis (2nd page of the link) and a 4pce/travel Avon, I did a review search but only came up with site/editor reviews not member reviews.

I can't find the member reviews for some reason, the member reviews on this site were (probably still are if I can find them) a very strong part of the site with very unbiased reviews of many bits of tackle.

Have done a search for Quorum and came up with very little, if anywhere it'll be in the member reviews mate!

nicepix

Reaction score
I have 3 at the moment the best is the travel version IMO, its a very good rod, late masterline version cork handle a screw reel fitting. ;)

I only have the travel version, a 2011 model. Don't know how it compares to the other models, but it is anything but 'soggy'. In fact it is quite tippy with the Avon top attached. If I use it for mullet while we are camping I tend to stick a quiver tip on rather than the Avon top.

trotter2

Reaction score
I only have the travel version, a 2011 model. Don't know how it compares to the other models, but it is anything but 'soggy'. In fact it is quite tippy with the Avon top attached. If I use it for mullet while we are camping I tend to stick a quiver tip on rather than the Avon top.

Its a fantastic rod excellent for chub and tench and will handle barbel less than 10 pounds easy. Brilliant piece of kit nicepix

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I have 3 at the moment the best is the travel version IMO, its a very good rod, late masterline version cork handle a screw reel fitting.

Jim seem to recall you saying at one time you had one of the originals and moved it on?

One of these if anyone is interested but this the Rovex model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11FT-MASTE...item3f22e94e2f

That's the one I've got, works well enough for me.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Harrison 1lb 6oz Avon is going to be too expensive at around £190 unless I order the blank and build it myself. However Harrison's are of the opinion that while it will be a good rod for small rivers like the Dane, it may well struggle on the Severn. Honest advice.

The Quorum is 1.75lb and will be great for the Severn but overgunned for the Dane.

Back to the drawing board with Grey's Prodigy 1.5lb appearing on the horizon. Anyone using the Prodigy?

Might have to look at 12ft rods to get what I want so Wychwood is now back in the frame too!

The only thing have decided on is the reel - Shimano Exage 4000 FD.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can stretch to it the Harrison Avon 1lb 6oz is the best rod I have ever used!

I had it on good authority today (from Harrison's development guy, who is a personal friend) that it would be marvellous for my small river barbel fishing but not ideal for occasional trips to a large river like the Severn. As I would like one rod to fulfil this, probably unrealistic, compromise, I will have to pass on the Harrison.