Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Avon rod - Wilson, Drennan, Wychwood or JW Young?

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    As I recall Sam you dont like centrepin reels as well is there something personal going on
    Wrong, I just don't go for the hype around them. I don't buy into the rose tinted nostalgia. I have one and use it when it's the best tool for the job. As far as I'm concerned, that means relatively short range trotting.

You did prompt me to dig out my Wilson Avon just to see if re-appraisal was warranted. The accidental damage hasn't rendered it unusable. However, it'll not get used in preference to either Daiwa Powermesh Avon or Fox Duo-Lite Avon.
    The quiver section is marginally better than the Avon. The Avon section is spongy and unresponsive. I appreciate that it's a through action rod but it's excessively floppy for my taste. Tip response is dismal. Neither of the other two rods are any less through actioned, neither are as spongy.

I'll have it Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please visit my blog at www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Well, I ain't going for the Wilson on the grounds its 1.25lb tc and Wychwood and Shakeys are out 'cos they're 12ft. So it's the Drennan 1.5lb or a Harrison, and the call will be going in to my mate at Harrison's first thing tomorrow about prices, etc for the 1lb 6oz Avon.

I have just seen a beautiful reel in my local tackle store to go with it, the new Shimano Exage 4000 Front Drag, No messing about with budget reels when after barbel - drag as smooth as whipped cream!

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Wrong, I just don't go for the hype around them. I don't buy into the rose tinted nostalgia. I have one and use it when it's the best tool for the job. As far as I'm concerned, that means relatively short range trotting.

You did prompt me to dig out my Wilson Avon just to see if re-appraisal was warranted. The accidental damage hasn't rendered it unusable. However, it'll not get used in preference to either Daiwa Powermesh Avon or Fox Duo-Lite Avon.
    The quiver section is marginally better than the Avon. The Avon section is spongy and unresponsive. I appreciate that it's a through action rod but it's excessively floppy for my taste. Tip response is dismal. Neither of the other two rods are any less through actioned, neither are as spongy.

Hi Sam
    It does sound like you have an early model the newer models are not spongy I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    Hi Sam
    It does sound like you have an early model the newer models are not spongy I can assure you.
    Yep, original Masterline. Bottle green blank, dark whippings, dismal quality ringing, horrendous abbreviated duplon with slide (off your) reel fittings. So few redeeming features, but I keep on being told that it's the dogs doodads. I've even offered to give it away before and had no takers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlad View Post
    I'll have it Chris
    Sold! I'm not paying you to take it away though.

In all seriousness, the originals fetch good money on eBay, I'd get it out up. Might be worth £30 - £40 +pp on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please visit my blog at www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimlad View Post
    In all seriousness, the originals fetch good money on eBay, I'd get it out up. Might be worth £30 - £40 +pp on eBay
    The damage renders it unsalable but not unusable. I couldn't in all good conscience sell what, even without damage, I genuinely believe to be a heap of junk. In all seriousness, if you want it, you can have it.

They don't go for that much on eBay, I was watching one that went for £22 and am currently watching one that bid up to £18.50 but I won't be biting.

I have 3 at the moment the best is the travel version IMO, its a very good rod, late masterline version cork handle a screw reel fitting.

Jim seem to recall you saying at one time you had one of the originals and moved it on?

One of these if anyone is interested but this the Rovex model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11FT-MASTE...item3f22e94e2f
    Last edited by trotter2; 23-06-2013 at 17:57.

The Harrison Avon would be good choice. I have had one for a few years and it has handled chub and barbel fine on a narrow snaggy river so should be ok for the Dane. With and quiver top it would be even better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast