Avon rod - Wilson, Drennan, Wychwood or JW Young?

nicepix

Reaction score
I've got several Greys Prodigy rods and they are certainly good value and perform well. There is a noticeable difference in the actions of TX and VX rods. The VX rods tend to be crisper in action.

If you didn't need a quiver tip option I would recommend the VX Specimen Twin Tip in 1.5 / 2.0 size. I prefer an Avon tip for barbel fishing rather than a quiver tip as bites tend to be decisive. I use quiver tips for chub and other species.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got several Greys Prodigy rods and they are certainly good value and perform well. There is a noticeable difference in the actions of TX and VX rods. The VX rods tend to be crisper in action.

If you didn't need a quiver tip option I would recommend the VX Specimen Twin Tip in 1.5 / 2.0 size. I prefer an Avon tip for barbel fishing rather than a quiver tip as bites tend to be decisive. I use quiver tips for chub and other species.

Cheers Clive, just had a butchers at those and the 1.25/1.75 might be just the ticket for the 2 rivers I have in mind.

nicepix

Reaction score
Cheers Clive, just had a butchers at those and the 1.25/1.75 might be just the ticket for the 2 rivers I have in mind.

That's the version I have. I thought that you might need the beefier version for a big river like the Severn? I tend to use a 2lb tc rod on the Vienne for chucking a 3oz weight and PVA bag or a big feeder. Although to be fair it is more likely to be dealing with mid teens carp than a decent barbel. Either way they are great rods and I found a really good deal at a Sheffield tackle shop who advertise on eBay.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had a look at several barbel rods at a local dealer today and bought an 11ft Fox Warrior XT Barbel 1.75lb tc which comes with an Avon top and a quiver top.

Bit overgunned for the River Dane, but there are some biggish barbel in there with the odd double figure and it will certainly help to keep them out of snags (chub can kiss my ass) and it will do for the Severn under most conditions, other than a flood!

Had a look at the Greys Specimen Twin Tip, but it was the TX version with a quiver top (they didn't have the VX) and a couple of Shimano Purist and Korum Neoteric rods but the Fox was better IMO.

I think it was 11' finally that sold me as I used to love the 11ft Peregrine GTi that I once had and 2-piece 12ft rods are a pain to transport in the Civic, even with the seats down! It's also a very slim, light rod with a good progressive action and its much better to handle the rod (with a reel on) and get someone to pull the tip down for you rather than just order online.

Chosen reel has shifted from Shimano Exage 4000FD (too small, on closer inspection) to a Daiwa Procaster 4000A which my local tackle dealer will give me a tenner discount on.

Getting there gradually, thanks to everyone for all the advice. :thumbs:

Last edited:

chipbuttee

Reaction score
I recently purchased the J W Youngs 11ft Avon Quiver at a knock down price and have to agree the original price was way overpriced! it came in a very solid rod holder. The blank colour is lovely as for the rod it certainly is of the more Traditional Avon build. Definitely not the latest take on Avon types it has handled barbel over 8.lb with ease including two carp both over 14.lb with the avon tip used. I cannot fault the workmanship on mine in fact it is now often my go to rod.
But I also agree that Drennan's offer high quality and reliability if for me slightly overpriced.