Avon rod - Wilson, Drennan, Wychwood or JW Young?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I know the Avon rod bit has been done to death but I am joining a club with barbel water on the Dane, Dee and Severn. I think I will mostly fish the Dane as it's closest so I want an Avon rod with probably a 1.5lb tc and 11ft long that will do the Dane fish justice but not be outgunned on the occasional trip to the Severn.

Nicepix has already recommended the JW Young Travel Barbel Avon but it's 1.75lb.

On another thread I asked if anyone had experience of the Young's Ray Walton 1.6lb tc rod as that looks like an option, although I ain't going to be rolling meat like the master!

Any thoughts chaps? Currently watching a Wilson Avon Quiver (definitely the Masterline 11' original on eBay), but thinking the Drennan Series 7 in 1.5lb option looks good too.

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
Ihave a john wilson avon/quiver and would highly recomend it. Perfect for lines up to about 8lb and as low as 3lb.

I also have the jw young avon/quiver and its awful.

Drennan do an 11 ft avon now in a pound and a quarter and i bet that would be a nice bet too (im thinking of upgrading my wilson to one of these for winter chubbing as you can use any of the drennan quiver tips in it).

Reaction score
I bought a rod direct from Harrison's the would be perfect

11ft Avon quiver 1lb 6oz tc Avon top plus a quiver top with a oz tip

Use it on the Ribble when aiming specifically at chub but it has oomph in reserve for the barbel.

Also great for tench and bream

Bluenose

Reaction score
Have Taskers got much to compare? Possibly make the trip to Stapeley the next time you're out this way, I picked up a greys rod in there a few days back, it felt spot on for the sort of thing you're after.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Wilson Avon is 1.25lb, if that matters to you. Personally, I'd not touch the Wilson or JW Young rod with a bargepole. The Wilson is vastly over rated and the Youngs rods are over priced, even at current prices. God help anyone that paid the original asking prices (over £150) for them.
Realistically, you never go far wrong with Drennan, on price or performance, provided the rod you buy fits with your preferences. The handy thing is that you rarely have to go far to find a Drennan stockist.

kickstart

Reaction score
I find the Youngs travel Barbel ok for chub and smaller fish. It's rated at 1.75 but that seems somewhat optimistic to me. It is nothing like my Infinity Barbel 1.75.

For £59 it's ok for leaving in the car and is easy to transport.

Kickstart

jimlad

Reaction score
Drennan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicepix

Reaction score
I find the Youngs travel Barbel ok for chub and smaller fish. It's rated at 1.75 but that seems somewhat optimistic to me. It is nothing like my Infinity Barbel 1.75.

For £59 it's ok for leaving in the car and is easy to transport.

Kickstart

I've had carp to around 18lb on mine. Probably bigger than any barbel Jack is likely to catch. :D

The reason I like it is that it is a proper Avon type in that it bends right down into the lower sections. Many rods sold as Avons are too tippy for my liking. A modern trend. Might not be a classiest option, but it does the job.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the absence of any comment on the Ray Walton barbel rod, I think I will have a look at the Drennan Series 7 as it ticks the two main boxes, length and test-curve.

Thanks chaps, there are probably better Avons out there but the old budget isn't tailored to Harrisons or higher-end Shimano or Daiwa.

kickstart

Reaction score
I've had carp to around 18lb on mine. Probably bigger than any barbel Jack is likely to catch. :D

The reason I like it is that it is a proper Avon type in that it bends right down into the lower sections. Many rods sold as Avons are too tippy for my liking. A modern trend. Might not be a classiest option, but it does the job.

Blimey:eek:

I must dig it out and try it again. I have not used mine for ages.

Kickstart

trotter2

Reaction score
John wilson Masterline version anyone that's says these are no good must having a laugh. As we can see it works just fine for John Wilson:):):)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9AeJvuFtB8]Go Fishing John Wilson Down on the Avon - YouTube[/ame]

sam vimes

Reaction score
John wilson Masterline version anyone that's says these are no good must having a laugh.

Is it not permissable in your world for you to have a different opinion to even a vast majority? I don't need the validation of my preferences by the majority. I really don't care what anyone else, John Wilson, Bob Nudd or the entire FM collective, thinks of the stuff I use and prefer. For me, and I appreciate this is at odds with an awful lot of people, The John Wilson rod is, and was, bloody awful. It still surprises me just how indifferent I was when I stood on mine.

trotter2

Reaction score
Every one is entitled to there own opinion Sam and thats fine by me:).

If anyone can recall when John Wilson fished the river Tees at croft, The River was on its bones that day and it was blistering hot,very bright not ideal fishing conditions by a long way. John Fished a peg which had very little form from previous matches. To be perfectly honest the local match lads expected very little. The rest is history John bagged up with Chub on the stick much to the surprise of everyone involved.

Using the Avon rod again on this video a 25lb river carp

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZfsZ12iMk]John Wilson Goes Float Fishing - Bream Carp - YouTube[/ame]

As I recall Sam you dont like centrepin reels as well is there something personal going on :D

jimlad

Reaction score
I recall that, the swim had been well prebaited before hand though, but it was low. There's a pic of his catch on the thornaby ac website, excellent bag of chub

trotter2

Reaction score
I recall that, the swim had been well prebaited before hand though, but it was low. There's a pic of his catch on the thornaby ac website, excellent bag of chub

They was no prebaiting who told you that Jim ?

jimlad

Reaction score
Told second hand, can't remember who said it. Clearly mistaken by the sounds of it!