Fishing in South Wales / South West

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
In my quest to become a better sea angler I’ve decided to really try and practice my beach casting. I’m getting anywhere between 70 – 100 yards, but apparently practice makes perfect. It would appear that I have A LOT yet to do, and will suffer the trials and tribulations until I finally reach my target of successfully and consistently hitting 150+ yards. I’ve read a lot, spoken to a fair few big casters and been told, the only way you get better is by getting out there. So that’s my aim! In the meantime here’s where you’ll find me having a bash and making a boob of myself. Any advice, hints, tips are greatly appreciated - Casting – Paul Goes Fishing

B

binka

Danny Moeskops is safe for now then? :)

I only knew that after googling and the question coming up as a result of your post but even so a cast of 305 yards (goggle again lol) is quite astonishing.

I know those sorts of distances are usually reserved for casting tournaments and not fishing itself but do people chuck anywhere even near that distance in an actual fishing situation?

I'm thinking that a) adding a bait, hook and leader will severely impact the distance and b) it would be difficult to find a bait which would withstand the cast?

For me I'm going the easy route and placing the bait on the sand at low tide before walking the rod back and waiting for it to flood :D

If only it were that easy eh?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Your right Binka, its all about resistance, one hook is less resistant than 3. Lumps of fish bait are less aerodynamic than worms. Then there's getting it all streamlined with bait clips or PVA string which I use sometimes. Then there's the wind, offshore or inshore. then there's technique, leaders, line diameters, well oiled spindles, pendulum or not pendulum, dangerous if you don't know what your doing. And then when you get all that right you still catch F/A.
However, I digress with a true story, I once went down with a buddy and because I am a complete bozo, I had some how left the top section of my beach caster at home. Nothing for it but to fish with the bottom section only-casting about 20 yards. My mate was doing the 100 yards and laughing at me all afternoon. I caught 3 nice bass and he caught F/A. I laughed all the way home. A lesson in there somewhere.
My advice to Anglerpaulm, carry on, practice and practice and think about what your doing, speciously aerodynamics, smooth casting is often the key as well as power, avoid any jerking in your technique, get the technique right first without the power then build up the power, if any blips or snatching develop, you can iron them out as you go; at some point you reach the maximum potential for your gear and your physic but don't over do it, the fish can still find you.

Last edited:

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been able to get out there and wet a line. Ok, I’ve been over to the field to practice casting, but that isn’t fishing. So, after not going Friday night, I managed to grab a few hours Sunday morning with the old man. The conditions weren’t great, the blazing sun meant almost everyone wanted to top up their tan, but it was still nice to be out. Still a lot to learn about this sea fishing malarkey – Have a read of the full report here - Paul Goes Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
After reading the fishing reports this past weekend I can only say I feel quite smug knowing I hadn’t wasted my bait casting out into the clear blue sea. I’d spoken to a couple of tackle shops. One regurgitated the same info he gave me a few weeks ago - So I didn’t listen; the others gave similar advice, that going would be tough, with little water movement, bad tides, bright sunshine and the current lunar cycle fishing etc. It would have been hard at the very least. So I decided to head out and work casting on my technique. Slowly getting there, though line burn stings! Have a read here - Paul Goes Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
The return of the sun meant crystal clear water, so Friday night I headed out to a new beach in the way of Cogden. Although the a hill down to the beach, this walk is so much easier than others on Chesil as it is either tarmacked or a grassed part of the South West coastal path. Be careful though, as you can end up walking a long way to find access to the beach, and end up being a right mess before you even start fishing. As a lot of people are experiencing on Chesil, it was very hard going with A LOT of weed about, followed by crabs, crabs and more crabs. You can have a read here - Paul Goes Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
It’s been a long old time since I’ve managed to get out and wet a line. Horribly long to be honest. But life, wife, toddler and dog are demanding. Also, this is always a busy time of the year for family, with birthdays and visits and parties. Fishing has taken a back seat. Scooting around the world sea Fishing forums I noticed that some cod are making an appearance along Chesil. I’m still mid “love/hate” relationship with the beach. A few words to the old man and before I knew it I had a trip planned later in the month (weather permitting). As it’s been a long time since I’ve been out I thought I should pick up a rod and give casting a try. A few swings and I was almost back to my summer distance, but on deciding to open up a bit... Well see for yourself, but it bloody hurt!
Paul Goes Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Meant to get this online some time ago, but couldn't find the photo's. Had a clean up recently and found them! Managed a PB bass on whole squid, after an epic walk and awful weather conditions. Have a read here - Trip #105 – Morfa Madness – Paul Goes Fishing
Bass_Morfa.jpg

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Not been able to get out much recently, family life, a pregnant wife and Covid seem to consistently scupper my chances. I checked the blog for the first time in ages the other day and noticed I had a few posts on drafts. So here's the first of them! - http://www.paulgoesfishing.com