Fishing in South Wales / South West

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Hi Denzinho,
Whilst I have a certain sympathy with your viewpoint it should be pointed out that people sometimes have a not unreasonable aversion to putting their angling life out there for others to pick over and criticise - as can happen on this forum.
Some contributors use the blog format and facilities to tell their own story in their own way without fear of interruption or deviation. They are still open to criticism by way of comments on their blogspace - but this tends to be limited just to the people who read their blog - not to the whole FM audience!
An example would be the young matchman Frederico - who writes an excellent account of his trials, tribulations and successes in learning his craft on the local match circuit. He doesn't post a lot on the general sites - when he does he mainly asks good questions to help him (and others) learn from the more experienced members.

Some members of FM use their own Blogspot to host their blog - sometimes because their own site has more advanced facilities for graphics and links than those provided by the FM system - an example would be the Blog developing by pjcoarsefishing which provides Accessibility advice for Disabled Anglers in Lancashire with maps of waters and links to the fishery sites at - PJ Coarse Fishing Blog | PJ coarse fishing – Fishing venues – Fishing for disabled – my fishing experiences – Fishing is more than just catching fish - a really informative site building-up with lots of info for local disabled anglers. It's a great shame that there is no easy way this will transfer onto the FM Blog system - unless anyone knows how to?

The blog kept by anglerpaulm is a kind of diary, in that he's recording the sessions and trips he's had, tackle shops visited, etc, I don't know how old he is but I can imagine myself doing exactly this sort of blog - before too long - because with the advancing years I can't remember where I was last week - let alone at the beginning of the season!

I hope that helps put things in perspective and helps you realise why some people use their blogs the way they do. ;)

Tight Lines! :thumbs:

Afternoon!

Thanks Greenie for your reply and explanation of why I blog to Denzinho. You are, on the whole quite correct, and I will fill you in breifly on why I started a blog and why I carried on with it, but before we go for a ramble down the towpath of reason.

Denzinho - Thank you for your apology, I don't expect people to reply all the time, take long enough to read the stuff I write, let alone comment about it. Also, if you spent any time on these forums you would see that I do post. Perhaps I dont start topics, but I certainly add bits in when required. Not sure if you know this but, this isn't the only forum out there. I have been met with hostility about my blog posts before, to that person I said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..." I am however more than happy to accept feedback, criticism (as long as it is genuine) and generally always reply to comments and will continue to do so.

Now, my blog was a diary type feature that I started when I lived in Yorkshire, if you have ever visited the awesome county you will know it is slammed full of fisheries, from the **** to the sublime. I would ask in tackle stores about how places are fishing, but be met with the same old stuff, so I thought I would give honest reviews as an average angler on fisheries and tackle shops (and occasional interviews and experiences with the EA). As there are so many fisheries up North I thought I would catalogue them and before long people would ask for my advice etc. Anyway, this continued while I lived up North. Then sadly I got hideously ill. To the point where I could barely move (CIDP - Look it up, it's not fun and being pretty much paralysed sucks). Anyway, I had to move back to be close to family and after a while I improved... Yippee! Had (and have) a very supporting family who were happy to accommodate me and take me fishing. So I carried on my blogging from a South Wales base. Much the same story as before, people only give info on specific venues, and I wanted to fish any and everywhere!

Then when I went back to almost normal (I still can't run), my wife an I moved to Somerset. It took a while to get settled, but then what do you know, I wanted to go fishing again, and therefore I continued my blogging adventures down here, where I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future!

Greenie, in answer to your question I'm 27, and this blog has been incredibly useful to me (if no one else) because it reminds me what baits I used on the day, and what worked what didn't etc, I would really recommend it, because once you write about your days fishing, you see where you could have improved if you had changed little things. Anyway.... That's why I post on here, using this specific thread (also saves me spamming up the forums with individual posts), but I also contribute to threads. Most recently I commented on a thread concerning a fishery in South Wales. I was subsequently contacted through my blog by the thread poster asking for a bit of help in finding assistance in his specific geographical area. Now, I do have contacts in his area... through blogging... and regional angling clubs and am working on putting the guys in contact with each other. So, some additional positives have even emerged from my blogging... and not just personal ones.

Just to warn you, I have plenty more posts to go up over the next few weeks. Enjoy!

Tight lines.

Last edited:

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening folks, just managed to get a new blog post online. This was the last trip I made before I took some time out to get married. Was a great trip with plenty of clonking big Roach and Rudd for sport. You can have a read about it here!

Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all!

New blog post has just gone online. Had a belter of a day. Loads of fish, Roach, Rudd and Carp. Really excellent fishing and a great place to take the father in law.

Have a read here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all! Something a bit different this week, but still definitely worth checking out! Normal business resumes next week with another new venue. Have a read of this weeks post here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all! Been a bit of a quiet one for me this weekend, although thinking of getting out next weekend. I did managed to write up my most recent trip which includes a puddle pig from South Wales! Have a read here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all, just got my most recent blog online. It is a follow up to my previous post, Whiteposts at Todber. What a fantastic venue. Absolutely stuffed full of fish, and bagged up all day long. Caught plenty of puddle pigs which was a great confidence boost. You can read all about it here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Morning campers! Managed to get a new blog online this morning. Was a cold day but had a few nice bars of silver and gold. Not sure where i'm off next time, but hopefully I'll search out some puddle pigs! Have a read about how I got on here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Paul,
Just enjoyed your blog on Higher Kingscombe - about time you got some polies! :cool:
Do you reckon the wariness of the fish was due to the unusual clarity of the water - or do you reckon they are normally not so shy of a pole 'shadow' on slightly cloudier water? Why doesn't a pole always scare them off?

Also - did you find out from the owners why the water was so clear - have they treated it in some way - or is it normal there?
Tight Lines!

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all! Just finished off a new blog post and managed to get it online. A useful bit of kit! Will hopefully put it into use very shortly. Also, if you'd like to the a TV angling sensation please click here and scroll down - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps, just managed to get a new blog online. Looking forward to having 12 days off and getting out there and getting a few on the bank. Have a read here of my most recent post here -http://coarsefishingpaul.blogspot.co.uk/

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all! Just managed to get a new blog online. I did have a million plans for the recent festive break, but a few too many drinks and a mystery illness meant I had to postpone a few trips. Still, I managed to get out and wet a line. Have a read here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all! I've had a quiet weekend this weekend... entertaining. But I'm definitely heading out next weekend. Maybe twice.. Shhhh, don't tell the misses!

You can have a read of my most recent trip here, lots of Perch and a rogue Bream - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all!

Just managed to get a post online. In the process of writing up my great trip yesterday to Shearwater in Longleat. In the mean time, this post hopefully answers a few questions that I was asked recently when swapping elastics.

Have a read here - Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just got a new blog online. Was a great trip to Shearwater and involved a few chunky slabs which makes a change as I normally only catch skimbobs!

Shearwater_Peg.jpg

Had to work to get the bait out there and encounter a bivvy boy who almost ended up on my lap!

Shearwater_Slab.jpg

You can have a read about it all on the link below!

Paul on Coarse Fishing

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Writing up today's predator session as I type, but just managed to answer a few questions and write up my most recent blog post. Hopefully you may find it helpful. Have a read here - Paul on Coarse Fishing