Trotting

edsurf

Reaction score
I Fished my local river last week, I was the only one on the stretch fishing with a float, everybody else were static fishing feeders etc, I caught fish all day from several swims roving about and finished the day with a nice 4.5lbchub on trotted maggot. was surprised no one else using this type of method to fish as they were not catching much with the feeder.
Is trotting seen as old school now ?

elliottwaters

Reaction score
With the growth of commercial fisheries and the popularity of carp fishing, river fishing in general has declined over the past few years and trotting, I’m afraid is now seen as being old hat. My local river is the Medway and on my club stretches, the few who do fish it will be on the feeder or ledger.

It’s a pity and in my view, anglers are missing out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are increasing numbers of anglers that have never fished a float of any kind. Same goes for those that have never fished running water.

The numbers that have even fished a stick float on a river, let alone mastered it, dwindles year on year.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't neglect trotting, please. If you can trot well, then anything else, coarse-wise, is a doddle. Download this video of a master trotter in action at Britford on the Avon [Keith Speer, 22.6.13] and a take good long look - Tight Lines Podcasts

Don't worry about the fact that Keith is doing it with a centrepin - a fixed-spool works very nicely.

dalesman

Reaction score
One of the problems is if you look in most tackle shops, you will find very little tackle for the river and trotting and whom stock longer rods than 10' .

When reading the weekly and monthly mags its commies and carp or sitting watching your tip for that huge wrap round :eek:mg:.

So its little wonder rivers and the float is ignored. I wonder how many lads or lady's have had the pleasure of trotting for dace, roach and grayling as well chub and barbel on wasp grub???. Yes that's a fantastic bait

denzinho

Reaction score
One of the problems is if you look in most tackle shops, you will find very little tackle for the river and trotting and whom stock longer rods than 10' .

When reading the weekly and monthly mags its commies and carp or sitting watching your tip for that huge wrap round :eek:mg:.

So its little wonder rivers and the float is ignored. I wonder how many lads or lady's have had the pleasure of trotting for dace, roach and grayling as well chub and barbel on wasp grub???. Yes that's a fantastic bait

Using a float is one of the most satisfying ways of fishing I think. It's dead easy to use a feeder, stick it in a buzzer and watch youtube on your mobile at rigs that are effective.:eek:mg:. I am very new to fishing and haven't started quiver tipping yet. I have started float fishing and now I'm trotting on my local river which has been exciting as well as gaining that experience like a lot of people have stated "A forgotten art". They way I thought of it when I started is I want to start with the hardest technique and work down. I need to learn fast I'm 28....

If you read all that have a beer

:beer:

C

chefster

Using a float is one of the most satisfying ways of fishing I think. It's dead easy to use a feeder, stick it in a buzzer and watch youtube on your mobile at rigs that are effective.:eek:mg:. I am very new to fishing and haven't started quiver tipping yet.

So by you,re own admission ,you,ve never fished a feeder and are new to the sport-but you seem to think its dead easy to use a feeder-What an ignorant statement!!!!:rolleyes::eek::eek:

denzinho

Reaction score
Using a float is one of the most satisfying ways of fishing I think. It's dead easy to use a feeder, stick it in a buzzer and watch youtube on your mobile at rigs that are effective.:eek:mg:. I am very new to fishing and haven't started quiver tipping yet.

So by you,re own admission ,you,ve never fished a feeder and are new to the sport-but you seem to think its dead easy to use a feeder-What an ignorant statement!!!!:rolleyes::eek::eek:

How would it be ignorant?. I have not got that experience under my belt but books talk loads. Trotting is an art and you know it is ;)

C

chefster

How would it be ignorant?. I have not got that experience under my belt but books talk loads. Trotting is an art and you know it is ;)
Just because you,ve read a couple of books does not actually give you an assumed right to critisize what is also an art form,do you think there is no skill involved in watercraft because all methods and disiplines require this-anyone can chuck a feeder out and not catch!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

denzinho

Reaction score
Just because you,ve read a couple of books does not actually give you an assumed right to critisize what is also an art form,do you think there is no skill involved in watercraft because all methods and disiplines require this-anyone can chuck a feeder out and not catch!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I totally agree chefster. Especially with watercraft and we are talking lake's.

I am not criticising anybody in there methods for a lake. Like I have stated I haven't fished one yet. These are the tactics I personally would use as it is probably the most effective way.

frothy

Reaction score
Well it easy to chuck a feeder in and just sit back and wait for the buzzer to sound or for a wrap round! However.... It is not easy to fish a feeder effectively...

What type of feeder,blockend,open,open cage,inline

What weight? Are you fishing it across and down, near side or up stream, do you want it to hold fast or just about with a bow in the line...

Glass tip or carbon, or maybe a bobbin with a inline or semi fixed.

Rigs... 6" or maybe 4ft or perhaps with the hook right on top of the feeder? Running, fixed of semi fixed or maybe helicopter...

And on top of this it must not be tangled or getting chucked into a bed of streamer weed each time!

Easy I think perhaps not:eek:mg:

I do love trotting btw:wh

Last edited:

denzinho

Reaction score
Well it easy to chuck a feeder in and just sit back and wait for the buzzer to sound or for a wrap round! However.... It is not easy to fish a feeder effectively...

What type of feeder,blockend,open,open cage,inline

What weight? Are you fishing it across and down, near side or up stream, do you want it to hold fast or just about with a bow in the line...

Glass tip or carbon, or maybe a bobbin with a inline or semi fixed.

Rigs... 6" or maybe 4ft or perhaps with the hook right on top of the feeder? Running, fixed of semi fixed or maybe helicopter...

And on top of this it must not be tangled or getting chucked into a bed of streamer weed each time!

Easy I think perhaps not:eek:mg:

I do love rotting btw:wh

Ok you got me... No form of fishing is easy especially if your going for a certain species. A lot goes into ALL forms of fishing right down to prep. I like how you mentioned the hook link length because that is hard sometimes to get those confident bites. Which again I have read but again I will state this is about float fishing on a lake (No dis-respect) and the methods I have stated work well because they are basic.

Everything else is sixth sense.

Ignore the lake bit

:D

Last edited:

frothy

Reaction score
Sometimes on the river they just don't want a static bait and the float scores well and then a week later it's the other way, I fished a local commie lake for roach back in the closed season and had some cracking sport as they are generally left alone, sometimes a heli feeder worked well and another time I would only get them taking on the drop so out came the waggler. It just goes to show how nothing can be a sure thing in angling and being adaptable in approach can only help.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
I grew up float fishing rivers and take it from me there's nothing complicated or hard with regards to the basics. Things get tougher when you want to progress from catching a few fish, to catching lots of fish, which is the same for feeder fishing.

First learn how to trot a waggler effectively and then try your hand at stickfloats and avons.

"Most tackle shops" - I think not, there are plenty of float rods on the market that are longer than 10': Drennan International

---------- Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

The thing is; books only really tell us the thoughts of the author.

As for art, so is this allegedly: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/AR/AR00499_10.jpg

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love to fish the river Darwin (a tributary of the Ribble) using a stick float and the Chub oblige all day long :)

jimlad

Reaction score
All this talk of trotting got me on the river tees at dawn this morning...

The result, some trout, dace and a pb 2lb 4oz grayling. Lovely way to spend a morning and I was home by 11.

P1020573_zps77f429e4.jpg

P1020555_zpsc207d3ab.jpg

P1020557_zps2d98c2c1.jpg

P1020568_zps9663b020.jpg

P1020570_zps7e0551c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All this talk of trotting got me on the river tees at dawn this morning...

The result, some trout, dace and a pb 2lb 4oz grayling. Lovely way to spend a morning and I was home by 11.

P1020573_zps77f429e4.jpg

P1020555_zpsc207d3ab.jpg

P1020557_zps2d98c2c1.jpg

P1020568_zps9663b020.jpg

P1020570_zps7e0551c6.jpg

What a superb stamp of fish mate, the Grayling was a real stunner! pleased for you Jim :)

jimlad

Reaction score
Thanks mark. I've been trying all out for babel of late, and decided why struggle in low warm conditions when I can do some enjoyable trotting. That grayling on light float gear was a bloody good fight!

maceo

Reaction score
I don't understand the lack of popularity, because it really is the most active form of fishing. You're doing something all the time and it really takes concentration. You can try out different lines and try and get your float to drift in behind obstacles such as overhanging trees where you could never get to cast to in a million years with a feeder.

Could it be a 'fashion' thing or is it that people want to sit back and have a relaxing time rather than having to work?

I went down to watch the final half hour and weigh in of a (very rare) match on "my" section of the upper Thames the other week.

Out of maybe 25 people fishing, not one was using a waggler or a stick float. There were maybe 75% using feeders and the rest on the pole. Very surprising, because I know how effective the float is down there.

I mentioned trotting to one chap I spoke to and he told me he thought it was too windy for a float! I couldn't really understand how it could be too windy for a float but not too windy for the quiver tip he was using.