Eels....

Catcha Whopper

Reaction score
Been using what limited time i have at the moment to try and get the odd overnighter in, before the little un's break up for summer.

Was reading some of the eel articles on here and there were some absolute monsters being caught.

Just wondered is there any rigs that prevent self hooking? I've read that low resistance rigs are a must, but do bolt rigs work? Also are there anyways of preventing small stuff nabbing your worm? Ive been using a sliver of elastic either side of the worms on the hook, but still reeling in stripped baits in the morning.

Thanks

Ray

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I assume you mean deep hooking ? I use braid mainline, fairly short hook links and very light indicators so I can see every movement at the other end of the line and hit the bites as early as possible.

As for your baits being stripped you should nbe pleased that that happens ! Fish and Crayfish attacking a bait will attract big eels but of course meansyou need to replace the hookbaitregularly.

I keep my hookbaits onwith an enterprise fake maggot.

smiley

Reaction score
Ihave been after big eels for a few weeks but caught nothing above 2lb

I have caught everytime I go so I will just perservere and hope the big ones turn up.

I have had a few fish deep hooked but no long term damage caused.

I get good runs all night but miss the majority of them

matt

Reaction score
when fishing for roach with 3 inch hooklinks and bolt rigs all the eels I hooked had perfect hookholds in the lip. Try it.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
if your losing baits then you could thread them on, works well with fish baits. though some Eels will strip a threaded worm - christ knows how!

worms need checking every hour, not the easiest thing to do when your doing an overnighter then going into work the next day!

I know of one 7 being caught and at least half a dozen 6's... none of which to me mind you the biggest I've had so far is 2.04 so they're coming out!

Dave Smith

www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk