Bait Droppers

terry m

Reaction score
What baitdropper do you use for river fishing.

I have had a lot of success with the Fox BD but I am told they are no longer available. The other alternatives seem to be the small round Dinsmores offering (too small) and the Seymo (sp?) baitdroppers that are made of metal and IMHO are too heavy.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
I've got the medium Seymo, and it casts fine with a carp type rod. The hinge on the trap door is a bit weak though IMHO, and tends to bend on the retrieve. It does seem to hold about the right amount of bait though. I take a spare rod that I just use for the purpose of bait dropping.

There are only a few on the market, but there seem to be some good reviews on the Dinsmore, but agreed it is small.

Regards
Gareth

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have both the large and small Seymo models and think they are just right, but then I use a dedicated rod only for baiting-up and then revert to my "fishing" rod afterwards.

I treat them a bit like a spod and a spod rod, if that makes sense.

I tend to use them on the river when fishing with a Diawa Whisker rod that I would hate to snap by fitting a dropper (of any make) onto that rod.

terry m

Reaction score
I have both the large and small Seymo models and think they are just right, but then I use a dedicated rod only for baiting-up and then revert to my "fishing" rod afterwards.

I treat them a bit like a spod and a spod rod, if that makes sense.

I tend to use them on the river when fishing with a Diawa Whisker rod that I would hate to snap by fitting a dropper (of any make) onto that rod.

I am trying to avoid lugging another rod around with me on the river if possible. It seems that the offerings out there are limited.:(