ROVEX John Wilson 11ft Travel Avon Rod snapped section

balalur

Reaction score
Hello to you all!
Over a month ago I bought from e-bay a ROVEX John Wilson 11ft Travel Avon Rod (5 sections) and upon receiving it I've fixed my reel on,threaded the 4lb line through the guides, held the rod in my right hand and slowly pulled the line with my left hand to get a feel of the rod. The tip section bent nicely and when the next section started to bend it snapped!:eek:
I was so gutted as I intended to go chub fishing with it that weekend! :mad:
Contacted the seller,told him what happened and asked for a replacement nr. 4 section (Nr.1 being the butt section and nr.5 the tip).A week after that I received a nr.3 section!

balalur-albums-tackle-picture3573-john-wilson-11ft-travel-avon-rod.jpg

Contacted the seller, told him that I need the section that receives the tip and last Wednesday I got the right replacement section.
Assembled the rod, put the reel on, threaded the 4lb line and started to pull on the line-snap! The same section broke in the same spot!

balalur-albums-tackle-picture3574-john-wilson-11ft-travel-avon-rod-2-sections-4-snapped.jpg

I've own a few rods in my lifetime but never had such a bad experience before. Both times the section broke in the same place,had the same fracture outline and upon close examination you could see that on one side the inner wall is thinner than the other. Having two sections snap in the same spot under such a light strain shows to me that it must be a manufacturing defect...
I will contact the seller again and ask for a full refund.
Is such a shame as the rod could be kept in the boot of the car or taken with me on holydays...

Has anyone heard of, or had such problem themselves with the J.W. Avon travel rod?

balalur

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know! Fred, what could Masterline do about it?
Anyone could have spot the flaw if they assembled the rod and give it a pull...

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Masterline may be able to advise if it is a known fault.
They replaced a broken to section of my jw barbel travel rod and I never had trouble with the new one.

Just did a search on ebay the top two have shops, so which one did you buy from?

Last edited:

balalur

Reaction score
Ok, I will try and contact Masterline now. Hopefully they will send me a good section as I rather like the rod and would like to keep it and use it.