Split shot alternatives

nicky

Reaction score
I hate non toxic split shot and avoid using them whenever possible, for waggler fishing i use cut down preston pellet waggler adaptors and use solder wire around the float for bulk shot.
I was watching a video by dr mark everard (the roach guy) and he uses masonary nails painted black and held in place top and bottom by two pieces of silicon rubber and said he has done for the last 20 years for trotting. I thought what a good idea. Just cut a few nails down i work and smoothed off the edges on a belt sander, can easily fine tune them to make them the equivalent of 4 bb or whatever

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can still use lead shot, quite legally, from a size 8's downwards and from 28 grams (one ounce) and over.

From size 6's to 28 grams it must not be lead.

The idea noted by the good 'doctor' sounds just the same as using an Olivette, and I've been doing that for many years, as have countless others . . . . . . . . .

jack sprat

Reaction score
Although masonry nails have some tungsten content it isn't much and they are basically the same density as steel - about 7. Much, much better are true tungsten olivettes which are nearly 3 times denser at 19.

nicky

Reaction score
Yes im sure tungsten olivettes are denser and the idea is not redesigning the wheel but he shows them being used in practice and catches it produces a nice stream lined rig that can easily be moved up or down the line without damaging the line he said they are better than anything you can buy and that guy has been kmown to catch some quality fish so im going to give it a try plus it works out very cheap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2