Any good non-carp waters in Essex?

fordy81

Reaction score
I've really lost all enjoyment in catching small carp and would much rather get a mixed bag of tench, crucians, bream etc. However I'm struggling to find any waters not packed full of carp in the Essex area.

Does anyone know of any good day ticket waters?

Thanks

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I fished a match at Slough house lake in Bulphan last February and although it holds carp none were caught. Mainly bream and skimmers on light float gear. It does hold big perch, roach and tench as well.

john step

Reaction score
Does it have to be a lake? Why not investigate The Chelmer/The Lea and Lea Valley Park / The Stort/ The Bure/ The Blackwater.

fordy81

Reaction score
Does it have to be a lake? Why not investigate The Chelmer/The Lea and Lea Valley Park / The Stort/ The Bure/ The Blackwater.

I did actually consider this John, but my river experience is extremely limited and knowledge of river fishing is even less. lol

It is something that I'm thinking more of but heading towards Autumn and Winter I'm worried about the dreaded blanking. :confused:

I'm going to join a club next year that has a few river stretches so I'm thinking of giving it a crack then. Mind you, that's 10 months away by the time the season opens again. lol

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Essex is a bit outside my area, but i have seen the Stort Navigation and that looks nice - so slow flowing that it is like a lake anyway, and then theres National Trust lakes at Hatfield Forest that may not have been carped-up, if you can stand the noise from overhead airplanes (bit like Colne Valley perhaps?!)

barbelboi

Reaction score
You're not wrong about the airplane noise over the Wraysbury/Colnebrook end of the Colne Valley Caco, you can shake hands with the pilots as they fly over. I've always preferred, and mainly fish, the Harefield/Denham end - peacefully quiet and hopefully HS2 will be kicked into touch to keep it that way.