A no frills unhooking mat...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
HELP!!

I've done unhooking mats in the past and found the ideal one for the job. Unfortunately it's gone walkabout so I need to replace as soon as....

Specification:

As basic and simple as you like as it's for roving/ small fish ie NOT carp or barbell

Basically a flat mat that just rolls up around 750 by 450 or so. Not fixed on size but NOT 1000 x 600 - just too big! It could fold up if necessary....

Price no object - finding the right animal is more important

I repeat again that it's for basic protection for the fish NOT for me to build muscles so thickness need only be minimal ie minimal weight

had a quick look on ebay etc but I'd rather find one by recommendation from FM folk

Thank you

A website address would be useful!!

ASAP IF POSS...................

B

binka

If you give these guys a ring they should be able to help you out, just ask for their basic unhooking mat... Openwater Angling Fishing Shop Mansfield

I brought one a week ago that was around the size you're looking for and around £9.99 and it does the job perfectly well, I also use the larger size and don't find it too big for roving... I often carry two rolled up one inside the other, one for the fish and one to roll out and sit on when the banks are damp.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I can make a choice from these.

It's good to talk...............

TC

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bit of foam sheet from the Market or, better, a cheap, camping, sleeping-mat cut in half or in three. Shove a heavy-duty garden waste plastic bag or similar over it. When not in use, sit on the thing and so avoid the arm- / back-ache of lugging a chair. Sorry, but this is how a successful deviant fisher goes about things............

mick b

Reaction score
In the mid 70s I made a rod roll-up that doubled as an unhooking mat, I still have it and use it when I'm static pikeing, which isn't very often these days!

I now use a bit of old carpet, cut to size and covered by a couple of poly charity clothes bags that keep coming tho the letter box, (tip, turn em inside out and you can't see the blurb on the outside) they are also good for covering your landing net before it goes in the car.

Before anyone moans about me recycling these annoying 'charity' bags, last year I had more than 70 pushed thro my letter box!! :confused:
Yes I did count them :eek:mg:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I Made my own with some foam industrial strength bin liners and a nintendo WII exercise mat

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Baby changing mat?

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Nice bit of grass???

...the clock is ticking... :D

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Isn't that frowned upon ? Personally I assume anyone who can catch a decent fish from a river is competent enough to handle it - just playing Devil's advocate - a little.

A wet landing net on deep soft grass is fine in my world if absolute mobility is key.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

There you go. Cheap as chips and a reasonable green colour to boot.

Boots Essentials Changing Mat - Green - Boots

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
And while we're on the subject here is the principle of how the most fish friendly retention system should be made. Perfect for resting a fish while you prep the scales and camera. I reckon if I mention it on enough forums someone will eventually pick up on the idea and market them in fishermen friendly colours and designs. :)

Round Shape Mesh Foldable Storage Bin/pop Up Tiger Laundry Bags/storage Hamper - Buy Folding Mesh Pop Up Laundry Bag,Bag Mesh Bag Net Bag Laundry Bag,Wire Mesh Storage Bin Product on Alibaba.com

Or this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/indoor...8AAABDtRVBEJ:20130906144723:s&noCookies=false

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

challenge accepted One English Pound

Bloody cheapskate! :D

chav professor

Reaction score
Isn't that frowned upon ? Personally I assume anyone who can catch a decent fish from a river is competent enough to handle it - just playing Devil's advocate - a little.

Stand by it... Nice bit of grass... I have an unhooking mat in the van if a venue insists, or uncertain of the topography (gravel, mud, dry crispy bankside veg). Can just as easily unhook some fish in the net.

I unhooked a barbel on a lovely thick matt of damp soft grass (it was raining) and an angler who came to see my catch insisted he fetched his unhooking matt..... its gonna spend a nice bit of time in a spacious landing net in the margins to recover..... it doesn't need a mattress!

Not saying an un-hooking matt is a waste of time... but it is practically if you use common sense

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Chav mostly where I fish its gravel or Towpath :) But I have seen so many angling threads where the call is "to be honest I would have preferred to see some evidence of an unhooking mat" that I have used it 3 times on FM caption competitions trying to win a prize ( I did get a bravo from Windy which was pretty cool )

chav professor

Reaction score
I agree with you Benny, an unhooking mat is an essential bit of kit where you describe - and I have one for that purpose (or heavy fish like carp)...

Just wish a minority of 'un-hooking mat' police applied a bit of common sense...

B

binka

Just wish a minority of 'un-hooking mat' police applied a bit of common sense...

I'll second that.

In my opinion I don't think you can beat a nice springy patch of long bankside grass and the folds of a wet net... unfortunately though i'm usually faced with something more like this (sorry chefster :) )