Big Perch Challenge 2013/14....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
From tomorrow Tuesday 10th Sept to 14th March 2014.
Please report any Big perch you catch, from any UK venue. Any method.
If you can, please post a picture.
As usual no prizes but the prestige of winning my annual challenge is invaluable innit...

C

chefster

Last year i did,nt do very well at this ,targeting perch at Brickhill Fishey ,Northants....i,ve found a new venue a few miles outside of Banbury,which is at a Falconry Centre,to try and target some big fish this winter,it reportedly holds a good head of fish to 5lb +,so when the weather is bad and i dont want to travel to matches ,i,m going to give it a go:D:D

C

chefster

You going to try prawns for bait, Gaz? It's something I'm after doing this Autumn, a big stripy on prawn. :)

Actually the guy thats put me onto the venue swears by prawns,i,ve seen the photos of the fish he caught there last winter and they look amazing,and this same guy has been really hammering big carp on them this summer,i just dont seem to have the confidence to use them in a match-maybe i should??;)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Can't swear by them personally but, like you, I've seen and heard a lot of reports and they have to be worth a try....

Unlike garlic luncheon meat, if the fish don't want them I'll definitely find a good home for them. :)

B

binka

I've been trying the prawn on the river for a big stripey but can't get past the damn chub... best thing is when I ledger a bit of crust for the chub I can't get through the damn barbel :confused:

So, a small dead it will be and tight lines to all in their quest :)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Binks,

That has the makings of "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly....." :D

Sometimes, I WISH I had your problems.....:D

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

PS: Are you over your illness and game fit again, now?? :)

B

binka

Are you over your illness and game fit again, now?? :)

Yeah thanks Phil, nice of you to enquire.

Still feel a bit like I've had the stuffing knocked out of me a bit but playing on it well, I reckon I could string out another couple of weeks of light duties and sympathy if I play my cards right :D

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Been asked to post this , I just had my pb perch of 4 lb 11 oz today , caught in my local river lea on float fished lob. Tiss a happy bunny i am today.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice one Bob, biggest ever in the history of my annual Big Perch challenge.
So lads, there's a benchmark to beat! Don't forget the UK record is over 6lb so not impossible....

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Hi Peter,
I will be targeting big perch after my annual holiday and hope to have something to report, although I will have to extremely lucky to come anywhere near the 4-11 already reported.
I have been using prawns for years now and the main problem with them is that they are not very selective, all species love them. I generally use them as a change bait when the fish have been hammered on lobs, which are far more selective.