Royalty Fishery - First impressions

S

steve2012

So I decided to drive the 50 miles on Weds to fish for anything that came really

Got to the excellent Davis Tackle around 10am, what a shop!, a real throwback to days gone by, trays of crowquill avons on the counter, old fashioned perch bobbers of which I bought a few, stuffed pike on the wall, you name it and they had it, a real treasure trove.

The guy in the shop got a map out and highlighted a few areas that would be good so off I went. First impressions of the fishery are of a beautifully managed water, no litter and it looked good. I had a wander to see what swims were about and encountered some of the rudest people I had ever met. Taking care to walk well back from people so not to skyline their swims my 'good mornings' and 'alright, anything happening?' were met with a mixture of stony silence, non-acknowledgement and in a couple of cases just icy stares from the camo clad masses. Whenever you looked at a swim even 50-100 yards away you could feel their eyes bore into you and almost dare you to fish there. I can only presume they had paid far more for their ticket than I had.

So I finally settled into a swim a good ten minutes walk from the car park and my maggots were instantly assaulted by minnows, a change to worms bought a few nice perch, some small chub and a Trout. What became obvious though is that this is a pressured water, almost a commercial and the Barbel and indeed even the Chub might be described as 'neurotic'. A quick conversation with a nice old guy who had fished it for 40 years confirmed this but I carried on and although nothing of real note graced my net I did enjoy simply being there. During the day a large collection of very big sea trout launched themselves out of the water and later on I was talking to this chap who pointed out a Salmon to me just going about its business.

I eventually left glad to have had a day out of the office, the fishing there is hard and some of the Barbel Police need a lesson in manners. The water was fairly low but still powerful enough to suggest a bait dropper would have been a good idea.

It was good to see so many minnows and obviously a lot of things will eat them but maybe next time I'll pick one of the Throop beats where the 'River Carp' anglers won't be so prevalent and target the Roach and smaller Chub than the Royalty holds.

Anyone else been recently?, how did you get on?

mick b

Reaction score
A friend of mine from Holland fished the place a few years back and had a canoe come upstream and invade his swim (he had already caught two barbel) so he was not impressed.
Before he could say anything the resident Bailiff arrived with a hammer and told the canoeist that he would sink it if he didn't leave his fishery immediately, a few words were exchanged before the boatie quickly left!

Well managed I agree, river commercial well maybe, full of history yes certainly, worth a day (anytime) 100% YES.

B

binka

That's a good write up Simon.

I've always fancied giving the Royalty a go but have always been put off by the marathon journey I would need to make although I still intend on doing it one day, at least i'll know a little of what to expect.

I might opt for a few days down there and make it more worthwhile by taking in one or two other beats, the tackle shop sounds fantastic...

edsurf

Reaction score
I fished it a couple of weeks back , was getting some strange looks as I was the only one trotting maggot, had a few nice perch, couple of roach and a big pike take a dance before I could unhook it, apart from that its a pretty hard river to fish and it gets busy, by choice I would not travel a long way to fish it , just happens its on my door step.

S

steve2012

I too was the only one trotting, everyone else was sitting it out with Pellets and bolt rigs

The chap in Davis Tackle mentioned Throop and a couple of stretches that hold less Barbel and get less pressure. How far is Throop from Christchurch?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I much prefered Throop and fished it often during the late 60's/70's, from Christchurch only about five miles.
Jerry

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I'm down there for a day next Thursday. (380 mile round trip but thankfully my mate is driving this time. :)) I was praying for a drop of rain before hand as it has never fished well for me when it is thirsty. Looks like I got my wish. (I'm assuming they'll have had some rainfall like the rest of us?)

Can't wait! :cool:

David Dalton

Reaction score
If you enjoy trotting with maggots, the lower half of the fishery, below the bypass bridge, is often a good bet at this time of year. It's fill of roach and dace at the moment, with perch, chub, bream, rudd and seatrout showing too.

The barbel are scarce in that part of the fishery and so it isn't pressured at all. When I go I often find that I'm the only angler down there.

If you visit the Royalty again, ask them to show you you Barlins or Johnsons on the map.

markv

Reaction score
Throop on the Stour is a great place, but as the Royalty, the fishing is pretty difficult. You can see 'em, but catching 'em is another matter. It's fished a lot.

Long way from Birmingham but it was a dream to return having fished it once as a child and read so much about it then. Did a few trips.

Locals thought I was mad lol.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Havent fished it for years, is there still a mad dash for swims when the gates open
that brings back memories. As with Blanker, I haven't been there for quite a few years now but although a circus, it always had a certain 'magic'. For years, my biggest Barbel came from the swim above the Pipes. Having read this, might organise a trip down memory lane late autumn.

Stu

mick b

Reaction score
For the Royalty I just take a small bag and trotting rod and go above the water works, a nice deep stretch slower moving and plenty of fish after a bit of mash or maggies.
If not there then go way downstream, away from the mown swims and fanatics, fishes nice especially on a rising tide (check ChCh tide tables or ask Nigel).

In Davis's both the assistants and the owner know the place upside down and will give you the latest lowdown on where and how, unlike some other shops these guys are all REAL anglers, not bolt-it boilie merchants.
The cafe opposite does nice breakfasts and their coffee is brill, careful with your parking tho, last time it cost be £60 :eek:mg:

The two Ringwood shops are also 'old school', one is a bit 'carpie' and sells the Throop tickets, the other is run by a lady who has a seriously impressive list of big Roach captures and dispenses sound info if you ask.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Mick,

In all honesty, Andy Browne's Missus is probably a better angler than he is. The last time I went in there, I was buying a load of stick floats and she put me onto something - telling him he was wrong.

This argument broke out and it got so good, I thought I could sneak me floats out without paying. He gave her a kiss, they both burst out laughing, she told him to put the kettle on. He asked me if I wanted a coffee and ten minutes later, I'd bought a Drennan landing net and a Young's centre pin.

Never learn, do I??? :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I "went back" to the Royalty a few years ago having worshipped the place in my younger years and had some memorable days there. I wish I hadn't.....it had changed beyond all recognition and I felt seriously out of my depth. Not deterred me & Big Phil booked the "Great Weir" for a day....hopeless. Didn't have a clue where to put me bait or how to fish it. I trudged off not just beaten [which I accept] but utterly defeated.

Now I know that's me being seriously out of touch with the place but it ruined all my happy memories from years back. So much so that I doubt I'll bother fishing it again as its a fair chug from here given the price of fuel.

I didn't like Davis' either. I got the impression that either they didn't know rock all about the fishery OR they did but weren't telling me. Most unhelpful....like pulling teeth.

And another thing....what sort of caff doesn't open until after everyone has gone to work ? I will tell you...the one in Christchurch High Street ! We walked in at about 9 to be told "we are not open yet". Sorry...I thought this was a cafe ?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Mr S.,

It's Christchurch - the cafe's only there for pensioners and the free bus pass is no good before 9.30......

My brother lives there. It's like the antidote to Ibiza, Aya Napa, etc etc...

It's twinned with Stepford :)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Davis Tackle is a bit strange too - some people love it and for others, it's Dante's missing circle.

Marmite with roach and barbel, I suppose....:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its a well stocked shop which still looks [& smells] like a tackle shop should.....but when I walked in everybody stopped talking & I got the feeling that "out the back" somebody was checking that their shotgun was loaded. I swear I could hear banjo music but that might just be Dorset generally.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Well, you in the deep South now, boy.....

Y'all come back, now, ye hear??? :)

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

The shootin starts when the piano player stops.....:)

Dave Slater

Reaction score
On the rare occasions I fish the Royalty I head for the areas Mick B mentioned as I don't like crowds.
Simon, you may get a similar response from me on my regular venues, as I like things nice and quiet and do not want to be disturbed, but I would never be so rude as the anglers you mention on popular venues such as the Royalty, Throop, Marsh Farm etc., all of which I fish from time to time. I don't think manners cost anything on well known venues and everybody knows about these.