Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > >
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 13-09-2013, 08:12
steve2012

Default Royalty Fishery - First impressions

So I decided to drive the 50 miles on Weds to fish for anything that came really

Got to the excellent Davis Tackle around 10am, what a shop!, a real throwback to days gone by, trays of crowquill avons on the counter, old fashioned perch bobbers of which I bought a few, stuffed pike on the wall, you name it and they had it, a real treasure trove.

The guy in the shop got a map out and highlighted a few areas that would be good so off I went. First impressions of the fishery are of a beautifully managed water, no litter and it looked good. I had a wander to see what swims were about and encountered some of the rudest people I had ever met. Taking care to walk well back from people so not to skyline their swims my 'good mornings' and 'alright, anything happening?' were met with a mixture of stony silence, non-acknowledgement and in a couple of cases just icy stares from the camo clad masses. Whenever you looked at a swim even 50-100 yards away you could feel their eyes bore into you and almost dare you to fish there. I can only presume they had paid far more for their ticket than I had.

So I finally settled into a swim a good ten minutes walk from the car park and my maggots were instantly assaulted by minnows, a change to worms bought a few nice perch, some small chub and a Trout. What became obvious though is that this is a pressured water, almost a commercial and the Barbel and indeed even the Chub might be described as 'neurotic'. A quick conversation with a nice old guy who had fished it for 40 years confirmed this but I carried on and although nothing of real note graced my net I did enjoy simply being there. During the day a large collection of very big sea trout launched themselves out of the water and later on I was talking to this chap who pointed out a Salmon to me just going about its business.

I eventually left glad to have had a day out of the office, the fishing there is hard and some of the Barbel Police need a lesson in manners. The water was fairly low but still powerful enough to suggest a bait dropper would have been a good idea.

It was good to see so many minnows and obviously a lot of things will eat them but maybe next time I'll pick one of the Throop beats where the 'River Carp' anglers won't be so prevalent and target the Roach and smaller Chub than the Royalty holds.

Anyone else been recently?, how did you get on?
Old 13-09-2013, 09:36

mick b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royalty Fishery - First impressions

A friend of mine from Holland fished the place a few years back and had a canoe come upstream and invade his swim (he had already caught two barbel) so he was not impressed.
Before he could say anything the resident Bailiff arrived with a hammer and told the canoeist that he would sink it if he didn't leave his fishery immediately, a few words were exchanged before the boatie quickly left!

Well managed I agree, river commercial well maybe, full of history yes certainly, worth a day (anytime) 100% YES.
Old 13-09-2013, 12:53

binka is a glorious beacon of lightbinka is a glorious beacon of lightbinka is a glorious beacon of lightbinka is a glorious beacon of lightbinka is a glorious beacon of light

That's a good write up Simon.

I've always fancied giving the Royalty a go but have always been put off by the marathon journey I would need to make although I still intend on doing it one day, at least i'll know a little of what to expect.

I might opt for a few days down there and make it more worthwhile by taking in one or two other beats, the tackle shop sounds fantastic...
Old 13-09-2013, 14:22

edsurf is on a distinguished road

I fished it a couple of weeks back , was getting some strange looks as I was the only one trotting maggot, had a few nice perch, couple of roach and a big pike take a dance before I could unhook it, apart from that its a pretty hard river to fish and it gets busy, by choice I would not travel a long way to fish it , just happens its on my door step.
Old 13-09-2013, 15:30
steve2012

I too was the only one trotting, everyone else was sitting it out with Pellets and bolt rigs

The chap in Davis Tackle mentioned Throop and a couple of stretches that hold less Barbel and get less pressure. How far is Throop from Christchurch?
Old 13-09-2013, 15:47

barbelboi is a jewel in the roughbarbelboi is a jewel in the roughbarbelboi is a jewel in the roughbarbelboi is a jewel in the rough

I much prefered Throop and fished it often during the late 60's/70's, from Christchurch only about five miles.
Jerry
Old 13-09-2013, 16:27

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC} is on a distinguished road

I'm down there for a day next Thursday. (380 mile round trip but thankfully my mate is driving this time. ) I was praying for a drop of rain before hand as it has never fished well for me when it is thirsty. Looks like I got my wish. (I'm assuming they'll have had some rainfall like the rest of us?)

Can't wait!
Old 13-09-2013, 19:12

David Dalton is an unknown quantity at this point

If you enjoy trotting with maggots, the lower half of the fishery, below the bypass bridge, is often a good bet at this time of year. It's fill of roach and dace at the moment, with perch, chub, bream, rudd and seatrout showing too.

The barbel are scarce in that part of the fishery and so it isn't pressured at all. When I go I often find that I'm the only angler down there.

If you visit the Royalty again, ask them to show you you Barlins or Johnsons on the map.
Old 13-09-2013, 21:05

markv is on a distinguished road

Throop on the Stour is a great place, but as the Royalty, the fishing is pretty difficult. You can see 'em, but catching 'em is another matter. It's fished a lot.

Long way from Birmingham but it was a dream to return having fished it once as a child and read so much about it then. Did a few trips.

Locals thought I was mad lol.
Old 14-09-2013, 05:15

richiekelly is on a distinguished road

Havent fished it for years, is there still a mad dash for swims when the gates open?