Float Fishing at distance - sun glare

adders

Reaction score
fished today and used the pellet waggler and although I had decent results I found staring at a float over distance with low sun glare a pain

Tried the margins for an hour and caught a few small carp and then returned back to my distance swim and caught better carp as the sun had moved round a bit.

Maybe I should consider feeder fishing perhaps ?

However the pellet waggler fishing 18 to 24" deep worked really well today and on light tackle it was great fun

john step

Reaction score
As well as the two previous pieces of good advice, the float colour can make a difference. Instead of the usual bright orange or red try BLACK if you have open water in front of you. As long as your float is not against far bank shade from trees etc. it will show up so much better.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Agree with the glasses but I also suggest a wide brim hat that can sit just above the glasses to stop ANY light entering from above the glasses however minimal. I use a Tilley hat with a good brim and its great plus it also keeps the sun off the face which is also a good thing IMHO

ps May well be another 6 months before any form of sun/glare is a problem though ...Add a smiley here

I suppose wrap-round glasses might be good as well....as would a baseball cap

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Everybody else is spot on with glasses, hat and black tipped float.

I would say that carrying a black marker pen is a good idea and sometimes a tip that's striped black and orange/red is better than straight orange/red or black.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Good point Stillwater....Always worth carrying a few black top floats or a pen. It does make a difference!

xenon

Reaction score
Also worth carrying some PTFE tape-surprising how often a pure white tip is effective-procedure can also be reversed.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:)GREAT ADVICE ALL ROUND JUST COMBINE THE LOT AND YOUR PROBLEM IS
SOLVED,I USE MATCHMAN EYE SHADES BY SHAKESPEARE+GOOD QUALITY
WRAPAROUND POLARIODS AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
TIGHT LINES
HUNTERS MOON:):).

at the end of your fishing trip leave only footprints.

flightliner

Reaction score

Good sound stuff. I often long trot on the trent and its surprising how you can need three differant colours for a float on one trot downstream. Red for when the float is passing thro an area that is "blackened" by shadows from trees, high banks etc.
Black when the float enters an area thats got no shadow or may have shadow but is rippled by a stiffish breeze and turns silvery, and white when the sun swings upstream and is still pretty high but its glare cancells out the red and black but makes white stand out absolutely brilliantly.
Not an angling remedy for that particular sutuation.
Must try ledgering!:D