TFG X-Pin centrepin....opinions please

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
I'd love to get a nice Centrepin for river float trotting....this one looks about the right price and seems a quality piece too, has anyone got/used one ?

Also, I hear the new( new to me anyway ) style of screw down reel seat is problematic when using centrepins....not big enough compared to the double ring style I had when I was young....is this true on the whole ?

Cheers

Alan Roe

Reaction score
The TFG reel has not been too well recieved and the Okuma reels notably the Adventa Pro and the Sheffield are generally very well regarded and would make a better buy priicewise there is not a lot in it as all of them sell at around the £100 mark give or take a few pounds depending on where you shop.

There is no issue with screw down reel fittings and modern pins the problems tended to be with the older pins notably from the Grice and Young stable and some of the Mordexes.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Lee I have the TFG model, and the Okuma adventa pro and I'd say there's very little difference between them. I've been very pleased with both.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I do little 'Pin' fishing but on the occasional trips with FM to rivers like the Itchen, Test and Kennet i thought i'd invest in one. I purchased the Okuma Adventa Pro and am very impressed with it, a delight to use when i do go out with it. I think i paid around 80 quid for it.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
you could do worce than wait for one of these
24004141-v1.jpg

24004141-v3.jpg

the new Okuma Sheffield Sirata SRT-1002 Center Pin Reel

which will be in the shops by christmas no doubt ,

The New Sheffield Sirata SRT-1002 is the first center pin reel to feature the precision smoothness center pin's are known for with the fish stopping power of a center disk drag. Now when a fish runs you won't be at the mercy of a simple clicker and an over run spool. Set the drag, turn the drag knob to the off position, cast and drift like a standard center pin reel, then when a fish is hooked, turn the drag knob to the on position. The outgoing drag is silent with a pleasant audible click retrieve.

The Sheffield Sirata SRT-1002 has a 4.5" spool diameter and a line capacity rated at 275 yards of 8 pound line with 50 yards of 20 pound backing.

Additional features of the S-1002 Center Pin Reel include: <ul>[*]Precision CNC machined aluminum frame and spool [*]Revolutionary center pin drag [*]Stainless steel shaft [*]Two German precision HPB stainless steel ball bearings [*]Ported spool with exposed rim for easy control [*]On-off ratchet [*]Twin removable handles [/list]

This reel is silver-bronze in color with a frosted gold reel foot and drag lever.

Please note that these reels are left-hand retrieve only.

nice but ,not sure a drag is really needed ,on a centrepin .when your thumb will do

L

Laurie Harper

I reckon the difference between the TFG and Okumas wouldn't be large - they may even come from the same factory - as the specs look pretty similar. Either would serve well. As usual, you pays your money and takes your choice.

dsr1

Reaction score
Have a look at the J W Young Aerodex centrepin, which is their budget model. I bought one earlier this year and am very pleased with it.

The Masterline catalogue advertises it at ?149.95, although Harris Angling (owned by MasterlineI ) are selling it for ?175.00!

I bought mine from my local tackle dealer who gave me 10% and I paid ?135.00.

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Never used the TFG but I've bought their other gear and found it good value for money.

I'm something of a 'pin fanatic,and own an Okuma Aventa Pro. Lovely reel and no problems with it.At slightly less money, and also a good reel is theLeeds Classic.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
No disrespect to TFG but avoid the X-Pin. You need a screwdriver to release the spool. Very impractical. Otherwise a decent piece, but the Okumas make more sense as the spool release is a knurled knob.

Like the look of that Sirata. I'm guessing the new drag is a disc drag system similar to that used on saltwater fly reels. It's probably aimed at the steelhead market in British Columbia where they like their trotting. Thatwould alsoexplain why they tell you it takes 275lb of line plus backing!

I reckon it might make a decent reel for floatfishing livebaits for pike and bass. Or trotting prawns for salmon! That's where the drag would come into it's own! Or livebaiting for yellowfin tuna... save you burning your thumb off!!!!!!

Reaction score
The Sirata is going to be called the Trent over here. I don't like it to be honest due to the drag . Not my sort of thing.

Its available here tackle2u.comfor £179.99.

Tobbaco

Reaction score
hi any

I have just bought a centre pin for a bit off stick fishing

j.w.young persuiteII ..could anyone please tell me wot

the two screw threads wheels are for at the front

off reel big one small one........ thanks....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If they're the same as on the Match Aerial (and they look it), then the smaller one is the spool release - it's spring loaded - slide it away from the pinto remove the spool.

The larger one will be the adjustable micro-drag - screw it towards the pin to slow the reel down - used for trotting slower than the current.