Corn , tinned or frozen??

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
For me, Tinned on the hook and frozen for liquidising or if doing a lot of pre-baiting.

To be fair, corn is so cheap you can use just tinned for all of the above, using frozen might save you money a little.

nicepix

Reaction score
Finding the right type of sweetcorn is important. I've had some tinned corn that was too soft to be any good as a hook bait. Fortunately the best type for bait is often the cheapest on the shelves.

I prefer to use tinned on the hook and feed chopped maize as opposed to sweetcorn. I get the maize from animal feed suppliers. It comes dried so storage is easy and just needs scalding an hour or so before use. You can also get whole maize dried. That is a good bait stacked on a hair for carp and barbel as the hardness deters the nuisance bream.

Its also worth mentioning that when they are 'aving it, as Flightliner says, artificial maize is a good option to save time re-baiting.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tinned always has more aroma and of the tinned variety I find Lidl "Freshona" is the best I have tried, for grain size and firmness, and at 99p for a pack of 3 you can't go wrong. However I don't have much faith in corn as a bait and will change after 5 minutes if I haven't had a bite.

brummiephil

Reaction score
the place I fish regularly seems to be a corn zone , the carp and bream like it the crucians love it

nicepix

Reaction score
Tinned always has more aroma and of the tinned variety I find Lidl "Freshona" is the best I have tried, for grain size and firmness, and at 99p for a pack of 3 you can't go wrong. However I don't have much faith in corn as a bait and will change after 5 minutes if I haven't had a bite.

Come round to the farm pond. If I haven't had a bite on corn in 5 seconds its because they've already nicked it off the hook! :D

Seriously, I have caught more fish on corn in the last 18 months than all other baits put together. That includes virtually all the double figure carp.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Come round to the farm pond. If I haven't had a bite on corn in 5 seconds its because they've already nicked it off the hook! :D

Seriously, I have caught more fish on corn in the last 18 months than all other baits put together. That includes virtually all the double figure carp.

I know Clive, but it just doesn't seem to work for me! Mind you, I haven't fished many out-and-out carp waters recently so maybe there's the problem? You'd think the bream and skimmers would have it though. Too easy to get bites on caster and pellet to be bothering with corn.

pidgergj

Reaction score

ithought it was just me! i dont know what it is but i just have no confidence in it, yet i never leave home without a tin. mind you i was given a tin of strawberry corn by a polish guy i got talking to on the bank, he gets it sent over, and that worked for me. still, i prefer meat or small boilies.

laguna

Reaction score
Sweet corn is actually a specific variety of corn that contains natural sugars and enzymes.
Tinned sweetcorn also contains added salt (brine) as a preservative and can be a very effective hookbait for carp, bream and crucians.

The best quality tinned sweet corn is Jolly Green Giant, its a little expensive but its very firm and stays on the hook, cant say I've ever noticed any variation in the quality compared to other brands so I tend to stick with that.
Frozen bags from Iceland are cheep enough to blitz in the blender, add a bit of sugar/salt/turmeric/black pepper if you wish and add to your feed. (I like to feed them up good and proper, the black pepper increases the nutritional value significantly).

Some of the cheaper varieties of tinned corn tend to fall apart if you pull the hair through with a needle. Its the double overhand tied hair loop knot (surgeons knot) that tends to damage it.

Artificial plastic corn seems to be popular but not for me, it has to be a digestible hookbait.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ithought it was just me! i dont know what it is but i just have no confidence in it, yet i never leave home without a tin. mind you i was given a tin of strawberry corn by a polish guy i got talking to on the bank, he gets it sent over, and that worked for me. still, i prefer meat or small boilies.

I was once catching for fun on a commercial on half a tin of Scopex corn that a bloke gave me when he was going home. It was a fishing brand that he bought in a Lidl or Aldi theme week and the grains were huge, like maize. Mind you the particular commie I was on was like fish-soup and you could catch on fag-ends,

B

binka

However I don't have much faith in corn as a bait and will change after 5 minutes if I haven't had a bite.

That was exactly the same for me too for some reason, I would watch others catching with it and still be reluctant to use it myself.

I've had a couple of decent sessions with it lately, more so when things have been hard going and am starting to put a bit more faith in it, planning to give it a go this weekend too all being well.

pidgergj

Reaction score
I was once catching for fun on a commercial on half a tin of Scopex corn that a bloke gave me when he was going home. It was a fishing brand that he bought in a Lidl or Aldi theme week and the grains were huge, like maize. Mind you the particular commie I was on was like fish-soup and you could catch on fag-ends,

iv often looked at the tins of flavoured/coloured corn in the tackle shops but never tried them. as daft as it sounds, adding yellow food colouring to normal yellow corn is supposed to give it a boost, i tried it and the difference in colour was surprising, really makes it a much brighter yellow.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I prefer naturally flavoured tinned corn.

The frozen stuff just doesn't seem to fish as well for what I have used it for.

Have had good Carp, and Barbel on the tinned stuff.

I have tried adding red food colouring to it, and it works well, although I did try some flavoured and coloured corn and struggled to catch on it.

daji

Reaction score
i use tinned for both hook bait and groundbait/loose feed as i've tried different brands of frozen but it all smells so bland. Tinned JGG smells lovely as its soaking in its sweet juices which i think helps as an attractant.

terry m

Reaction score
Sweet corn is actually a specific variety of corn that contains natural sugars and enzymes.
Tinned sweetcorn also contains added salt (brine) as a preservative and can be a very effective hookbait for carp, bream and crucians.

The best quality tinned sweet corn is Jolly Green Giant, its a little expensive but its very firm and stays on the hook, cant say I've ever noticed any variation in the quality compared to other brands so I tend to stick with that.
Frozen bags from Iceland are cheep enough to blitz in the blender, add a bit of sugar/salt/turmeric/black pepper if you wish and add to your feed. (I like to feed them up good and proper, the black pepper increases the nutritional value significantly).

Some of the cheaper varieties of tinned corn tend to fall apart if you pull the hair through with a needle. Its the double overhand tied hair loop knot (surgeons knot) that tends to damage it.

Artificial plastic corn seems to be popular but not for me, it has to be a digestible hookbait.

Agree 100% with this post.

nicepix

Reaction score
I know Clive, but it just doesn't seem to work for me! Mind you, I haven't fished many out-and-out carp waters recently so maybe there's the problem? You'd think the bream and skimmers would have it though. Too easy to get bites on caster and pellet to be bothering with corn.

The waters I fish aren't heavily fished and the swims I tend to frequent are either virgin territory or very lightly fished. That means the residents aren't exposed to pellets, maggots and the like. I find that corn will get bites straight away even though the fish haven't seen bait before. There's one swim I fish that obviously has never seen an angler in years and is at least 500 metres from where anyone else fishes yet roach, bream and carp took sweetcorn right from the off on my first session.

I used to fish two carp rods, one with boilies or pellets as the other with stacked maize grains and the maize outfished the other baits 3 to 1. Now I've stopped bothering with boilies unless I get bothered by bream.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

iv often looked at the tins of flavoured/coloured corn in the tackle shops but never tried them. as daft as it sounds, adding yellow food colouring to normal yellow corn is supposed to give it a boost, i tried it and the difference in colour was surprising, really makes it a much brighter yellow.

If you peel open the lid then pour in a sachet of vanilla sugar over the corn and stir it on you'll increase the attraction, especially for roach.

pidgergj

Reaction score
If you peel open the lid then pour in a sachet of vanilla sugar over the corn and stir it on you'll increase the attraction, especially for roach.[/QUOTE]

i shall definitely gice that a try. i fish a few waters with a good head of roach, but havent targeted them yet, hopefully the corn will help pick out the bigger ones too.

badgeroo

Reaction score
I use either, on it's day it's unbeatable but I have gone fishing and not had a touch. The size and quality of the fish seem to be better with corn than with maggots but you need to loose feed it sparingly. Once I get them feeding I only throw one or two in per cast and generally They will take on the drop and the quicker you do this, the longer the fish stay in your swim.:):)