Fishing with Small Children

neil1970

Reaction score
...not as bait :D

I had my first experience of it today:eek: with my 5 & 7 year old daughters.

I wanted them to catch a fish so took them to a spot on the canal where you're guaranteed tiddlers.

I must admit I was very proud when my 7yo caught a couple; roach & gudgeon, the latter which she gently held and unhooked.

My 5 year old caught a 2" gudgeon which she was very happy with.:D

Something to remember, as it was my dad that got me in to it:p

B

binka

Well done Neil :thumbs:

The makings of the next Emma Pickering, Wendy Locke or Sandra Scotthorne there I reckon :)

terry m

Reaction score
When my daughters were very young we would often go up to the local farm pond where they would catch smallish soap bar tench, they loved every minute of it, and it truly was a delight.

Great memories.

daji

Reaction score
great stuff! My wife brought our 3 year old boy to visit me and a friend whilst fishing. My mate thought it would be great if 1 of us caught a fish to show my son, trigger a switch in a future angler, although i wasnt convinced. My prediction was that he would find a weapon amongst our tackle and pay little attention to a fish or anything else. Sure enough 1 minute after arriving he had rod rest in hand, happily trampling rods & knocking over bait boxes. Kept giving my wife heart attacks everytime he veered near the waters edge. a couple more years and he'll be ready i reckon :rolleyes:

oh and he saw a fish, a small Perch, but wouldnt come near it :D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can remember watching a match-man with all the gear spend a frustrating hour watching my 9 year old daughter hammering out scores of 3" rudd from a centre parks lake in a cheap telescopic holiday rod while he, with his 12 meter pole and matchbox full of gear couldn't buy a bite, being the typical grumpy angler instead of coming for a chat to see what the secret bait was (frozen sweetcorn skins under a waggler with no weight down the line so they fluttered through the water column) he started stomping around and his disgruntled muttering turned to an angry tirade at everything around him while his face took on the colour of a beetroot.
With people like that as ambassadors is it any wonder youngsters don't want to get involved with the pastime?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes, Mr Red-Faced Angry. Angling, I believe, began to lose the plot when it got really really big fish- and big bag-obsessed, went all spessie, "serious" and more recently Destination then Meeja Extreme, when a few of our number, one-trick ponies at best with little else going for them in their own careers and lives, began to define themselves as Angler (and very little else), by their reputations for landing slabs, lumps, kippers etc, by doing a lot of 'eavy Liftin' Baggin' and by their regular brandishing of the previously mentioned at a public they fully expect and demand admiration and respect from. Only human nature, of course, just part of life with its ever-present prima donnas, drama queens and talentless attention-seekers, but we Anglers (and particularly the Angling Press that long did nothing to discourage such sorts, indeed did much to promote them) took far too long to rumble them, to turn our backs after raising a metaphorical finger in contemptuous dismissal: to our own and to Angling's cost.

Best take your kids for country walks, get them watching programmes like Countryfile and this one - BBC iPlayer - The Great British Year: Winter - then on some more walks with a bit tiddler-catching with handnets, get them looking at frogspawn and tadpoles and whatever bugs turn up in the net, show them how the leaves are turning and falling at this time of year, show them some ruddy great chub in a small clear-water stream that you know, how the ducks lead their flotillas of tiny ducklings along the water margins in the spring, how they'll sometimes chase a Mayfly but be beaten to it by one of those chub....

Then, maybe, take them fishing. And tell them - or, rather, teach them by silent example - that it isn't something to get serious about; it's only just fun. If they do get serious about it later though, they'll know that serious Angling isn't about going to war with your fellow fishers; it's just about you and the fish, in private.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I've always found fishing with young children that they are objectionable to a big hook being stuck in their head. And as a bait they don't wriggle for very long 30 second max. So I've come to the conclusion because of the cost of raising them to a size where they last longer and wriggle stronger it's prohibitive. :D:D

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've always found the best way is to take them dressed in inadequate clothing on the coldest day of the year, the venue must be hard, tench fishing in January usually fits the bill. If you take your missus along then you can kill two birds with one stone. "I'm going fishing Sunday". "Well you can go on your bloody own then", bliss.

Beaker

Reaction score
I have to say that I had always wanted to take my son fishing.
I took him to an Enviroment Agency
coaching session and he has not looked back.
I am now able to go when I want, Sam just asks his mum and we are off with no time restrictions. If the action is slow he plays on his 3DS, but as his lordship says take them to avenue were bites are almost guaranteed, and you should have few problems.
He now has his own gear and it is his responsibility to look after it, I always check rigs, knots etc and let him get on with it. He is 10 and fishes as good if not better than most. Next stop, lure fishing for pike and perch.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I've been taking my kids (4&6) fishing for a few years now and I have a couple of simple rules that have made every trip a real pleasure:

1) Choose a day when it's unlikely to rain, and make sure you take a spare jumper or two. But other than that, take the barest minimum of tackle you can get away with, and try to make sure that setting up time is minimal (pre-tied rigs fishing a whip is a good way to go)

2) go somewhere where bites are as guaranteed as possible, the size of the fish is totally irrelevant to someone this young. Use a float (or maybe a floating bait). They need something to watch

3) take snacks and drinks. Have a think about where he/ she is going to go when they need a wee, it is going to happen.

4) If he/ she announces that they're bored, then that's the time to pack up and go home. I'd much rather they go and have a great time for an hour rather than they go for three and get really fed up (just because I want to be fishing)

My eldest is getting much better now, he landed a 2 pound carp on a float rod on holiday this year in double quick time... the angler in the opposite peg who witnessed this waited til it went in the net and then said "Blimey, he doesn't mess about do he? Good on you kid!"..... which made his old man very proud!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another thing - take your kids on a feeding / baiting mission or two. A few years ago, when I was in full river carp and barbel mode, I'd take my girlfriend of the time and her two little girls on such trips. Box of pellets / whatever in a small dayback ... get the girls to put to some feed into a spot ... and - Hey presto! - mega barbel, carp and chub would appear to their shrieks of delight and wonder!

nicky

Reaction score
Start them off whip fishing and dont try anyfishing yourself that takes your full attention ( made that mistake when i was big into float fishing) if you do want to fish put a sleeper rod out so that the rest of the time you can focus on the kids

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

brummiephil

Reaction score
when I saw the title for this was wondering if it was question about hook size?

:rolleyes::):):)

flightliner

Reaction score
I used to take my daughter on overnighters when i was into carp fishing.
great fun at mealtimes when she had made ready with her baby tea set.pretend drinking in the company of barbie and ken and even my little pony with all the lakes carpers looking on wishing they could join in .genuinely happy days.
A few years later she was on the front page of the anglers mail with a solo effort twenty two lb mirror.