Return to angling....first outing account

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
I've just returned to fishing after years away....my dad used to take me when I was young and we had some really good times that are etched into memory...I recently bought new tackle and got the bug again..

My local canal is the Calder and Hebble navigation, this is a fair walk from my house but not too disabling [ so I thought ] Today I ventured...here's the account...

By the time I got to bed on thursday night it was a waste of time sleeping, [ actually I was too excited to sleep...I'm 34 not 10! How embarrassing ]

So I got up and got all the gear ready....watched some UFC [ Ultimate fighting championship....brawny Americans batter each other until submission, like modern day gladiators...it's all real and they're very skilled...unlike their wrestling which is just steroid fuelled pantomime, anyway I digress...]

Atorrential downpour started that would have put the Borneo jungleto shame, thunder and lightning.....great....

I set off about 4.45am, it had stopped by then...

Got to the bank bloody knackered....that gear is heavier than it looked....I felt like a Royal Marine who'd just yomped into Port Stanley....I'm one of those rare males who grew up with no interest in cars or driving so I never learned to drive.....this was the only time I've regretted that fact...

I chucked in a few groundbaitballs [ brown crumb,hemp and sweetcorn, liquidised hemp and sweetcornwith some carp vader tutti frutti liquid mixed in ].....and setup, I used a loaded selfcocking dart type float that only needs 4 no.8 to set it, size 20 hook, plumbed the depthto around 5 feet

A few casts in I had a very direct bite and struck into a chub about 5 inches long, lovely golden little fish with a big gob, hooked perfectly in the top lip.

I was quite a way below the lock but there was a lot of tow....it was more like trotting !

There was a lot of surface weed and sticks floating past, and I always managed to snag it and reel in about a pound of detritus....always just as someone was walking/cycling past....

Went quiet so I tried a prawn....same again...a chub exactly the same size as the other, don't know how it fitted the prawn in it's mouth ! They seem to be as greedily insane as small perch...

Then not a bite until about 10.30am, I wasfalling asleepdue to my juvenile decision not to sleep the night before...so I packed up and did the dreaded walk home....I was feeling a bit cold all session so I still had the waterproofs on...big mistake....the walk back was sunny and I must have lost about 3 litres of sweat..

Now I can't find my disgorger....it was in my smock chest pocket and I put it down somewhere when I got home.....you could lose aChallenger tank in this house...

Well....not a brilliant first outing...but at least I got two..and chub....a species I've never caught before....so it was pleasing.

Calderhebble.jpg

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Stick with it you will soon learn and pick up old and new skills. However the main thing is enjoyment, if you are enjoying yourself that is all that really matters.