I aim to try the pellet feeder next trip out, so

1. whats the best make
2. what size 'feed' pellet it best to use
3. is the hook bait best buried or squeezed onto the top of the feed pellets

any other advice , as always very welcome

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
It's a very open question Phil, and very much a personal thing.

I suggest you look at the suppliers web sites to see what they say about their own pellet feeders and buy a couple to see how you go.

So to answer your question

The best type is one you get on with.

Feed size will depend on where you are fishing, what is feeding, how many of them there are but again will vary.

Sometime a buried hook will be best and others, leave it trailing outside.

The feeders are available in elasticed and free running, be aware of the chance that the feeder may trail when using elasticated and your mainline breaks, there is one on the market which is a safe elasticated version though.

Hook length is also a consideration, short is considered the norm (4" - 6") but each will have their own and each day may require a new approach.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've been impressed with the Preston "scoop-style" in-line pellet feeders, Phil, fished with a short 4- 6" hook link.

I fill the feeder about three-quarters full and tuck the bait in, covering it with the last pinch of pellet. Incidentally, they seem to work just as well with groundbait.

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A vote from me for 4" hooklengths and burying the hookbait. Once the dampened pellets hit the bottom the amount of expansion caused by taking on water literally pushes the bait out into a mound of pellets. I like to use hair-rigged corn or 8mm punched meat. This expansion can be clearly seen in a few underwater videos about pellet feeders on YouTube.

C

chefster

Phil a softened mix of micro,s is best ,with a few 4mm thrown into the mix,try a 4 or 6 mm hair-rigged expander on the hook,but really any hookbait is worth a try...On hooklengths -a certain person on this forum has put me onto a winning formula -1-2 inch hooklengths,so the hookbait is right in the mix,,Guru inline pellet feeders for me,but i,ve bought some of the Preston Micro versions for the hard days ahead,Cheers Chef

tonybull

Reaction score
I do quite well on the pellet feeder. I use the preston 20g inline for all my work and fish a 14 pr36 and use either 6mm cubed meat or two 6mm expander pellet straight on.

But when you pump the pellet, drain the water straight off, so they just soak enough water to soften but stay really firm.

Hook length, I have it the length so it just sits an inch past the feed when it pushes out, so in effect it stays amongst the feed.

Glad your doing well, Gaz :)

I finished 2nd in my section at Hartleylands in kent today, had one of the hardest sections over the 4 lakes that were used. Took 5 fish on the pellet feeder, then dropped onto the 13m line on the pole.

pidgergj

Reaction score
what are the advantages of using a pellet feeder as opposed to dampened micros round a method feeder?

C

chefster

what are the advantages of using a pellet feeder as opposed to dampened micros round a method feeder?

Pellets around a method feeder can have tendencies to smash off of the feeder on impact with the water,and spread about too much,especially over certain depths,rather than end up on the bottom in a neat little pile....Also they are more favourable for casting tight to features,islands etc....Also the fish can only get to the bait from one end of the feeder,rather than all around it ,reducing line bites...Chef

pidgergj

Reaction score
Pellets around a method feeder can have tendencies to smash off of the feeder on impact with the water,and spread about too much,especially over certain depths,rather than end up on the bottom in a neat little pile....Also they are more favourable for casting tight to features,islands etc....Also the fish can only get to the bait from one end of the feeder,rather than all around it ,reducing line bites...Chef

nice one chef. informative as ever :D would you use them in winter with smallest pellets and smallest size feeder?

C

chefster

nice one chef. informative as ever :D would you use them in winter with smallest pellets and smallest size feeder?

As i,ve said Pidge,i,ve bought some of the new Preston Micro pellet feeders,they are for tiny payloads of 2mm micro,s in winter particularly,and im going to try 2mm and 4 mm expanders,single dead maggot,bread discs,tiny flouro boilies etc with them when the opportunity presents itself,Gaz

brummiephil

Reaction score
As i,ve said Pidge,i,ve bought some of the new Preston Micro pellet feeders,they are for tiny payloads of 2mm micro,s in winter particularly,and im going to try 2mm and 4 mm expanders,single dead maggot,bread discs,tiny flouro boilies etc with them when the opportunity presents itself,Gaz

are they the ones that look like a scoop?