Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking vintage,and no i'm not talking about my age

vintage fishing tackle, how many members of this forum get pleasure from
    using fishing tackle that they bought many years ago it could be a rod or reel
    maybe even some floats?.
    being a self confessed nostalgic using some of my vintage rods and reels etc
    gives me such great pleasure.
    tight lines
    hunters moon

Default Re: vintage,and no i'm not talking about my age

I use an old Speedia Centrepin that I bought second hand about 25 years ago, apart from that the gear I use is pretty well up to date.

I think tackle has come on leaps and bounds both in quality and value for money. I wouldn't gain any extra pleasure from using inferior tackle when I could use something better..
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Depends on how old you mean really.

I have a few rods which are about 20 years old, but being carbon and good rods when new they still fish very well and are nice to use.

Also have here a 1960's glass match rod, and it is dreadful to fish with compared to more modern stuff. It is heavy, floppy and just not really up to the job.

The oldest bit of kit i regularly use is my aluminium extending net handle made by Efgeeco.
    Had it since I was a nipper in the early 70's.

I do still use a Shakespeare aerial float rod from about 25 years ago - the stepped up C.T.B version along with my Shimano technium feeder rod bought in 1997. They still perform perfectly well today and I tend to reach for them over my much more modern rods.

5. Default Re: vintage,and no i'm not talking about my age

I have a pair of wide drum speedia pins, old but a fantastic pin. One gets used regularly for trotting and the other is matched with a barbel rod. I do like a pin

I bought an old drennan im9 this year, being softer than most of the current float rods on the market it makes, IMO, a very nice silvers rod.

I keep toying with the idea of buying a cane rod. I enjoy making my own floats and fishing with a pin so a cane rod just seems to complete the circle. I'm sure it wouldn't make my fishing easier or me a more successful angler but it might just put a smile on my face and that's the important thing.

My favourite bit of old tackle which gets used regularly is my Trudex centrepin.
    I bought it with paper round money about 1963. I do have my first proper rod still, an Edgar Sealy 11foot split cane float rod of the same vintage. However after getting it out the other day for a wave about in the air I do wonder how I coped with all that weight. Maybe I was stronger then.

I think if I could get my hands on an Alcock's Aerial, I would be delighted to use it, but other than that I have no interest in using old tackle.

Blog Entries

I still occasionally use my Abu506 closed face reel which I bought back in the early 70's when trotting for Roach, Dace and Chub.

I still love using my '13ft Diawa Amorphous Whisker Light float rod (AWM13L)'
    Which I bought in 1995 which is extremely light, crisp and well balanced and made to handle hooklength's from as light as 8oz up to around 3lb max.
    NB: However I might be replacing this with the new Drennan Acolyte Ultra rod this Xmas.

I still use an old 10ft carbon leger rod that I made myself back in the 70's whenever I want to use a swingtip, (once or twice a year at most).

I still occasionally use a 6mtr Shakespeare Annex Excel match rod (bought in 1998) when fishing extra deep swims on the float or trotting tight up against the far bank below the rod-tip on a local small stream when after big Roach.

I still use a 12ft 2lb tc Diawa Powermesh Carp rod for stalking Carp on the surface; which I bought in 1995.

Most of the time I am using modern up to date rods but I still use the older rods described above when conditions dictate and modern rods are hard to find for the job in hand.

I do still have most of my old reels (Mitchells, Abu's, Diawa' s etc.) plus a B.James & Son MKIV Carp rod but I haven't used most of these for a long time now.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 22-10-2013 at 09:57.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

In my case, the list is endless:

A Wallis Wizard, MkIV Avon, MKIV Carp, Aerial reels, Fred Crouch reels, Mitchells, Abu 501's and 506's

I get a lot of pleasure from fishing with the "tools" of my younger years and it is amazing how many split cane rods you can actually see on a weekend on the Hampshire Avon for example.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 22-10-2013 at 09:49.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    In my case, the list is endless:

A Wallis Wizard, MkIV Avon, MKIV Carp, Aerial reels, Fred Crouch reels, Mitchells, Abu 501's and 506's

I get a lot of pleasure from fishing with the "tools" of my younger years and it is amazing how many split cane rods you can actually see on a wekeend on the Hampshire Avon for example.
    Yes, I heard that they were using them for fencing now........................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast