Day ticket river near Salisbury wilts

peacey

Reaction score
Just had a chat with a friend of mine and he wants to go fishing in a couple of weeks time and he has left it up to me to find a venue.
So I was thinking that perhaps as the weather is getting a bit colder that a river would be our best bet for a bite or two an that we could try either the stretch down at the park in Fordingbridge or maybe the stretch at Broadlands lakes.

Has anyone fished either of the above as I cant seem to find much info on them or have you got any other suggestions for somewhere else to go?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Britford below Salisbury is a good winter venue but maybe a little too early as yet.

The recreation ground at Fordingbridge is another good venue but again better in the winter.

Take a look at the CAC and the Ringwood club sites for other stretches that are available on day ticket.

mick b

Reaction score
Presumably your seeking a river day?
If thats so why not get him tangled up with the rodbenders at Timsbury, all species available including some very decent Pike, trot bread and hang on :D

Surely The Royalty has to be added to your list even if it means a bit of travelling.

The Park has never been kind to me but perhaps I've just given up too early?

Never forget the LIF either.

Britford gets rave reviews from some, could be just revenue earning but certainly worth a punt if you've a day to spare especially if this storm flushes thro in two weeks it could be fishing its head off.

There is always the 'free stretch' in Salisbury itself, but it really depends what day your going, as weekends it can be a little hectic in places.

For stills whats wrong with Hackett's or even Broadland's?

So many choices, so little time :eek:mg:

peacey

Reaction score
I think the royalty and timsbury may be a bit pricey for us.

We were thinking of going during the week and I thought that a river may be a bit better for a bite compared to a stillwater.

frothy

Reaction score
The free section of the itchen that runs from gaters mill down to woodmill offers some good sport?

terry m

Reaction score
Thumbs down from me on Fordingbridge Rec, Peter's advice on CAC and RDAA website is sound advice. If you are able to travel get a day at Throop.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thumbs down from me on Fordingbridge Rec, Peter's advice on CAC and RDAA website is sound advice. If you are able to travel get a day at Throop.

I always leave the rec' ground until very late in the winter.

It usually produces a decent haul of roach and dace but never in the Summer when its all mums and kids splashing around in the water . . . . . .

jack sprat

Reaction score
Salisbury DAA have day ticket water in/near Salisbury. Unaware of free water there.
Free water at Muscliffe on the Stour above Throop.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Salisbury DAA have day ticket water in/near Salisbury. Unaware of free water there.
Free water at Muscliffe on the Stour above Throop.

The only "free" stretch that I know of is well above Salisbury at Amesbury and that is "Lord's walk" and not all of it is totally free as part of it is controlled by Salisbury and district AC You can get a day ticket from the tackle/cycle shop just down the road from the entrance to the river.

Right now though the whole stretch is quite low, although that might change pretty soon. You could expect Grayling, roach and the odd Trout as well along there. Maggot, Brad and Corn all work well there.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I fished that park at Fordingbridge way back in the 60's. Stayed in a nice hotel right on the bridge. Got up early one morning and had one of the best Grayling sessions I have ever had. Me and my Dad's mate must have had 30-40 Grayling on maggot before breakfast. My old man missed it as he been in the bar all night and had a hangover. Served him right. It was a free stretch back then.
However, Mark Wintle up dated me on here a while ago and said it is now a club water and it does not fish very well anymore.

mick b

Reaction score
The Park does/did have day tickets a year back.
I was fishing there bagging up on record class minnows when a couple of guys came along and snaffled a few very nice Perch out from underneath the willows!

Sorry forgot the free stretch below the LIF, probably your best bet for a decent day if you like bread fishing.

If you use the the Woodmill Lane car park and plan your visit to coincide with a high tide you can fish the salt for Mullet and river without a move + + + the 'Mill has its own cafe with outside seating where you can feed the Mullet long before you drop a hookbait on their noses :D