Margin Poles

Reaction score
No. You can catch small fish in the margins too.

And the margin is as far out as you relatively short pole will allow. Not just down he side as some seem to think.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thinking about perhaps investing in one for Xmas, nothing to expensive or fancy.

Had a few in the past, but, always had them set up for heavy elastics and for targeting Carp down the edges.

I was thinking No6 and No10 elastic for a varied approach.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
The Fox one and the Map one i had never came with top 3's they were both equipped with top 2 kits.
Thanks for the head up, i'll investigate further. By the time i've cut a top 3 back it will be as much like a top 2 anyway.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thinking i might just get a cheap Middy one, i can get them for about £60 new, just got to try and do as much digging around about them as i can first.

Wish i'd kept my original stuff now, but hey ho.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use a margin pole for small fish on the inside preferring a line-to-hand whip as it is much lighter, is far quicker as you don't need to ship back and remove the top 2 or 3 and you'd get more enjoyment out of even quite small fish on the whip whereas on the margin pole you'd hardly know they were there.

My margin pole is a Drennan which came with a spare top 3 if I remember correctly, and while nowhere near the most expensive more than copes with even medium sized Carp on the inside line.

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Latest edition of IYCF has a review of a dual-use margin pole, think it's 8.5m, that has the traditional power top for the lumps and a match top for more subtle stuff, I think it's elasticated too. Could be Shimano or Middy, when I drag myself out of my pit, I'll look it up for you.

---------- Post added at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 ----------

It's a Middy MTDI margin pole/whip. Not cheap at £139 but looks a decent package if you fancy using a whip for the silvers.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thanks Jack Sharp,

I was looking at a Middy White Knuckle margin pole that comes with 2 elasticated top kits, one with 8-10 elastics and 1 with 18-20 elastics. that was about £70.00p also. Will havea good look round at the middy poles if the price is right.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jack Sharp,

I was looking at a Middy White Knuckle margin pole that comes with 2 elasticated top kits, one with 8-10 elastics and 1 with 18-20 elastics. that was about £70.00p also. Will havea good look round at the middy poles if the price is right.

That White Knuckle pole gets a good write-up in the angling press.

dead peg

Reaction score
My lads got the 6M white knuckle cx . The new cx version is stiffer and stronger than the original , with stronger 3rd & 4th sections . He's had carp to 16lb on it , handled them no problem

C

chefster

Really? Not got one so wouldn't know. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the Middy feeder rod I have, it's a reet good commie lumpstopper! :D

I,ve seen 3 or 4 come back through the shop,with broken joints,from being given severe stick in matches:D