Changing the line on your reels

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can save a few bob and reverse the line especially if it is braid.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Probably about once a year...

Although then I only change the top 150m or so on the spool and leave the older stuff underneath as backing.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
I'm absolutely paranoid about line. Plus, I love the feel of new line on a reel. For these reasons, I change my line every month (or about every three trips).

bigray

Reaction score
Every season although I do leave some on as backfill. I also tend to pull a few feet off after each session especially if I've been handling bigger fish.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As long as you check at the end of a session ( I run the line gently between my fingers to feel for any rough points as I wind the line back onto the reel) and, as bigray says, remove at least the length beyond the float depth (for example) or if you've been through the lillies with a big fish make a more thorough check then IMHO I think that's sufficient.
However, it all comes down to confidence in many ways so I change my line probably three times a year, regardless....

I do use a baitrunner quite a lot which tends to put considerable twist in heavier lines and makes it 'lumpy' if you get my drift so I may change more often for that reason....

Horses for courses in my opinion..............................or just plain common sense!!

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
As long as there is enough line on your spool to allow you to cast smoothly, or the line isn't damaged and there's still plenty of line on the spool, then why bother? If the line is years old and you haven't used it for quite sometime i would suggest changing it anyway.other than that just check the line for any wear and tear.

mick b

Reaction score
I'm absolutely paranoid about line. Plus, I love the feel of new line on a reel. For these reasons, I change my line every month (or about every three trips).

Hells bells, if all anglers were like you I would buy shares in the companies that make mono......or open a tackle shop selling only line :D

Me, I strip off a couple of rod lengths after each trip, but using Flo-cast that is really necessary because the stuff separates as you slide your float up and down.

little oik

Reaction score
I will change my line at least twice a season. From the float down goes every session as well .All my fishing is done close in so only need between 50 & 75 yds max of line .I buy 150 metre spools so this does me for 2 fills a season .The rest of the line on the spools stays as its usually freebies off angling times .Who want to loose fish for the sake of a couple of quid.A decent line will cost you about 4 or 5 quid .2 trips a week in the spring summer and autumn soon mounts up. If the line has a bit more abuse then chuck it away and replace it .
When was the last time you needed more than 75 yds on a reel in British waters unless casting as far from the biggest feature as you can which is right in front of you .Even if you are feeder fishing at 40 or 50 yds a fish isnt going to rip 25yds off unless its a big carp and then you use gear to match .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on how often you fish and on the venues you are fishing. Decent mono fished in open water venues can last a long time, even with heavy use.

I check and inspect my lines regularly. I don't change it as a matter of routine. I will change it as and when required. If that's after a few uses or a hundred, so be it.

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
Like many, I change it when I feel I need to. One thing I do is to clean it periodically. Next time you're fishing by a field, put the rod in a rest, open the bail arm and take the end of the line for a walk. When it's all paid off the reel, reel it back through a damp cloth (a drop of washing up liquid on the cloth helps), over the grass, which also seems to "comb" the twists out. It works for me.