smaller fish on the tip

dead peg

Reaction score
Whats your set up when targeting silver/smaller fish on stillwaters, when fishing the tip in the colder months ?
I know fine lines and small hooks are needed but what type of feeder/feed & hookbait would you use to start a session ?
What type of rig would you start with (paternoster,helicopter or running) and why ?
Any other tips most welcome :)

Keith M

Reaction score
To be honest if I only expected silver/smaller fish I wouldn't fish a feeder anyway; I would choose to fish either a Whip or a Pole or a light waggler using a very fine hooklength and a tiny hook.

However I did once win a winter match on the canal using a light 9ft winklepicker using a 10oz hooklength tied to a size 22 fine wire hook and a very small feeder on a fixed paternoster. However the only reason I fished a tiny feeder instead of a float was because I didn't want my bait drifting from a particular spot in the the increased flow that day; otherwise I would have fished a float.

For bait I would most probably use fresh Pinkies, punched bread flake, maggot or Caster.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What Keith said above but float would be my choice of method. Wintertime I would not feed at all. Straight lead (running) and light hook and hooklink, single bait. Patience required....

daji

Reaction score
I fish for silvers using an open ended feeder on a running rig with 4lB main line, 2lB hooklength, size 18 hook with double maggot. I catch plenty more silvers using a waggler but want to build up experience feeder fishing and figure that targeting silvers is a good way to learn to read bites.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
If you are not fishing to far out, you could try using a catapult to put some feed out.

Try fishing a lead instead of a feeder, you could also try a small maggot feeder with just a couple of maggots in to introduce a little lose feed. If you're not catching keep the lead on, if you start to get bites, try using the maggot feeder a little in between.

dead peg

Reaction score
I fish for silvers using an open ended feeder on a running rig with 4lB main line, 2lB hooklength, size 18 hook with double maggot. I catch plenty more silvers using a waggler but want to build up experience feeder fishing and figure that targeting silvers is a good way to learn to read bites.

Same here .. thanks for the info chaps :)