Whats the best fish/best days fishing you have had this year???

paul1234

Reaction score
As the title says!!!my fishing has been abit slow this year tbh,though i have had a few nice fish. 20lb mirror,my 1st ever eel,,best session i would possibly say an evening at a local estate lake,had 100lb+ of skimmers in a few hours,ive never known the bream to feed so intensly there ,so i enjoyed it to the full.still time this year for a 5lb chub!!would be nice :)

ravey

Reaction score
Had a day out on the Trent after barbel with a guy from work who remembered catching one as a kid, but had drifted away from agling since.

To be honest, we had about three days before it came good, and we ended up with nine, two of them would have been pushing doubles. I had left my scales in my other box.

He was well chuffed, and in a way I'm glad that he had to show a bit of persistence before it worked out.

I've had 'better' days on my own, but it was nice to share some of the quality fishing that can be had on the right day.

john step

Reaction score
Back in the early summer. I had a big un witnessed and photographed by the local "big head/expert/knowall" It was bigger than his best from this water.:wh

Last edited:

paul1234

Reaction score
Had a day out on the Trent after barbel with a guy from work who remembered catching one as a kid, but had drifted away from agling since.

To be honest, we had about three days before it came good, and we ended up with nine, two of them would have been pushing doubles. I had left my scales in my other box.

He was well chuffed, and in a way I'm glad that he had to show a bit of persistence before it worked out.

I've had 'better' days on my own, but it was nice to share some of the quality fishing that can be had on the right day.

Sounds good!!!!yea defo think its always better to work for your target species,get abit more sense of achievement(though i do enjoy the odd session catching loads of small stuff),had some cracking gudgeon a year or two ago,along with ide,roach etc just on the float,but you cant beat the feeling of a fish you have worked for!!!

cg74

Reaction score
Regards my catches it's got to be a session in March on the Wye; 20 barbel, 4 of which were doubles with the biggest going 11lb 4oz. 3 chub, the best 2 going over 6lb, 4 grayling all about 8-10oz and a salmon (parr).
Or
Catching my biggest trio of chub in one session.

But my most pleasing session had to be watching my 12yr old lad catch his first 20lb carp (totally unaided).:)

slaphead

Reaction score
I had a wonderful days fishing on my birthday in September at a commercial in the Ribble Valley.

The weather and scenery were brilliant and The Boss kept supplying me with sustenance (bacon butts) when required.

Not a great day catch-wise, but the tench (my favourite fish) were obliging on a couple of occasions.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Regards my catches it's got to be a session in March on the Wye; 20 barbel, 4 of which were doubles with the biggest going 11lb 4oz. 3 chub, the best 2 going over 6lb, 4 grayling all about 8-10oz and a salmon (parr).
Or

But my most pleasing session had to be watching my 12yr old lad catch his first 20lb carp (totally unaided).:)

I still get more pleasure from seeing my son catch than catching myself, and he's 32.

paul1234

Reaction score
Or

Sounds like an amazing day!!!!don't think my arm could handle that!!haha,yea i bet he was well chuffed ,when i was 12years old anything over 1lb was a big fish :)

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

I had a wonderful days fishing on my birthday in September at a commercial in the Ribble Valley.

The weather and scenery were brilliant and The Boss kept supplying me with sustenance (bacon butts) when required.

Not a great day catch-wise, but the tench (my favourite fish) were obliging on a couple of occasions.

Like me i don't go fishing to catch fish,i just sit and eat food all day and chain smoke!!haha i would make an awful match fisherman!!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Poor season for me. Had a few ruffe from the Thames - fish that i have not seen for a few years. A few perch over 2Ib and Tench over 6Ib, but not a single chub of any note yet.

My best day was revisiting a stretch and a swim on the River Mole that i last fished in 1984. I didnt catch anything, but it was great to renew an old "friendship" so to speak - unfortunately it was a far worse place though.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Having suffered a Stroke back in February and then having to go through a couple of major operations to sort out my eyes (totally unconnected) then it has to be the day in September this year when I finally managed to overcome the fear (for want of a better word) of being alone on the bank and managing to put my gear in the back of the car.

Even this was a major step forward as the gear had been loaded on several previous occasions, only to be removed again........Anyone who has gone through similar will understand where I'm coming from with this and the mental battle one faces to see 'life' clearly.

Anyway, after a couple of false starts, and the endless support of my wife to help me overcome the combined issues, this last couple of months have been good and I'm now in control, or at least it feels that way!

I cannot recall for the life of me what I caught, if anything, but as you might imagine, it didn't really matter. In fact, if nothing else, this past year has taught me the true meaning of the old saying 'More to life/fishing than catching fish' and the importance of just being out next to water is what it's all about.

Next year looks very good to me right now...........................................

peterjg

Reaction score
In June I moved to Basingstoke. Never fished the Kennet before. I had been fishing for roach, laying-on with an 18ft rod and match Aerial reel. I started to pack up and with my back to the river, heard a couple of clicks from the reel - eventually landed a 8lb 8oz barbel (major fluke) and carefully, patiently returned it. Also managed a few decent roach.

mick b

Reaction score

When all your own big catches are forgotten you will still remember the feeling you had on that day, it will stay with you forever.

My Father is slowly winding down his life and all his reminiscences are not of the big fish we caught but the 'special' times we shared eg; the first time we used stewed wheat, the brilliantly sunny afternoon on the Ouse when he caught a 3lb Tench and my Uncle fishing alongside caught b all even tho he was an All England qualifier, a surprise Pike I caught on a minnow, the day I Salmon fished for 16hrs and caught zilch and he fished for 1/2 hr and got one.

Such memories and golden moments that only a Father and Son can share.
Enjoy them 'while ye may'.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very few fishing trips this year compared with some of the Blitzes of past years, but I have made them count - got out when the water and the weather seemed right and I had that "Must fish" feeling that comes out of nowhere and quite possesses me until I have gone out and done it.

Two, "instant" ('I knew you were there and waiting for me'), clonking, very large barbel on two such 2-hours-only days. A few very nice perch (because I felt right and they seemed worth it). A couple or so roving days with a centrepin and a 13' or 15' float and little else that saw some nice chub and a lot of dace and small roach come flying at me. Ditto a fly-caught bass from an old shore mark I have long known when visiting some people for a couple of days near the coast back in the summer.

Quality not quantity.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've had some superb catches this season but one of my most enjoyable was catching over 130lb of big tench and bream on the waggler.

slaphead

Reaction score
Having suffered a Stroke back in February and then having to go through a couple of major operations to sort out my eyes (totally unconnected) then it has to be the day in September this year when I finally managed to overcome the fear (for want of a better word) of being alone on the bank and managing to put my gear in the back of the car.

Even this was a major step forward as the gear had been loaded on several previous occasions, only to be removed again........Anyone who has gone through similar will understand where I'm coming from with this and the mental battle one faces to see 'life' clearly.

Anyway, after a couple of false starts, and the endless support of my wife to help me overcome the combined issues, this last couple of months have been good and I'm now in control, or at least it feels that way!

I cannot recall for the life of me what I caught, if anything, but as you might imagine, it didn't really matter. In fact, if nothing else, this past year has taught me the true meaning of the old saying 'More to life/fishing than catching fish' and the importance of just being out next to water is what it's all about.

Next year looks very good to me right now...........................................

Like Tee-Cee. I have had health problems and fishing has given me a new aim/interest which has allowed me to focus on other things than my health issues.

The Boss says it's the best thing to happen in the last 4 years, but I still can't convince her that I need another new rod/reel. :D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It's been a funny old year, great in some part, horrible in others.

But the best mornings fishing came back in February.

I had been told by a Bailiff that a Perch Shoal had moved into a spot in Ware, by the car park on the Lea Navigation

I arrived early before light, I managed to catch a few baits and went on the catch Perch of 21/2lbs, 31/4lbs and 4lbs + a couple of pike.

I knew I only had a 5hr permit for the Car Park, so I kept and eye on my tackle and went back to the car and got another 5hrs !!

Over the bridge and back to the tackle, I noticed a Car Park Attendant putting a Fine notice under my wind screen wiper.

I called over to her that I had just paid for another 5hrs, she ignored me.

I went back over the bridge and was informed that there was a maximum of hour stays in the Ware Car Parks and a great big sign telling you so, which of course I had not noticed in my haste to renew my ticket !!

I paid my £60 fine (reduce if paid quickly).

So a Greats morning fishing in a very Angler unfriendly Town.

Bob

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
A day on the Trent with a friend as my guest. We arrived just as dawn was breaking and had a double treat of walking past a small herd of deer that were oblivious to our passing, then getting to the top of the floodbank witnessing one of the best ever pre- sunrise's where the river was akin to that of blood. Together with the red sky it was the most dramatic of sights that you could wish to see.The cameras were out before any fishing tackle and we both have some really impressive pictures
Just for once nature put the catching of any fish into second place

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
August 31st, The Wye. I'd had some barbel and decided to try a spot where I'd dropped a couple of baits into earlier. I clambered down the bank dropped another couple of baits in and started to tie on a new rig. Whilst doing this a young couple in a canoe beached on the other side, had a little kiss and cuddle and proceeded to er....;)

I'm still trying to tie my rig whilst laughing away when the young lady shrieks having seen me. We have a little light hearted banter and whilst they make themselves decent I drop my bait in under my rod top. 30 second later the rod is nearly wrenched out of my hands. After a couple of minutes of the most 'brutal' fight I've ever had with barbel I net what turns out to be an 11lb 1oz barbel, my first Wye double.

The couple now fully dressed paddle off, oblivious to me catching the barbel (it's in the net resting) and me offering them the advice "have a look on youtube about 10ish tonight.

Not my biggest barbel this season but my most memorable.

PS. I won't be signing the petition:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thankfully, a few too many, making it difficult to split them. Jobless bummery has its advantages! (Just in case anyone fancies taking me to task, I recieve no benefits).
Lake record carp and PB, twice:). The pay off for some of my tactics and theories that some found quite amusing:). Big bream purposely fished for and caught (I couldn't be 100% sure they were bream, but I had a hunch) on light float tackle. Reliving my youth in fishing for grayling on my local river. Catching plenty of the target grayling and up to a fairly healthy 1lb 8oz. I suspect to catch much bigger I'm going to have to break a habit of a lifetime and head slightly north to fish (cue George;)). Last but by no means least, finally finding and catching consistently the awkward and previously elusive roach, rudd and skimmers on my local stillwater. I only hope that the pike and cormorants don't get through too many of them over winter and that I can find a few bigger specimens next year.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
tryanythingtwice.....So I suppose you could say,' knocky on the float and nooky in the boat'

Oh, and by the way, you forgot to say where it could be seen.............................

ps Personally, I ALWAYS carry binoculars..