Paddlepoints.net website/canoes!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
You're wasting your breath mate. These people think they can paddle anywhere, anytime and all for free. It's no use trying to address the symptoms, it needs to be tackled at the root, politics is the only way to stop it. See Rods headline article today Canoe Access: Stating the Anglers’ Case. Are you in the Angling Trust yet?

Jimbo

Reaction score
I was in the Angling Trust but left as they didn't seem to be doing anything about canoeing and it was all about cormorants and salmon. I did e-mail them about the website but not got a reply so just goes to show I made the right choice.

We already had a run in with one who uses the website, but am miffed at the lack of anyone wanting to do anything. Why should I pay for my permit and NRA?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
No mate - the ATr are very very concerned with canoes and are leading players in the current Wales canoe-access fiasco. Even if you are not an ATr member you shoud sign here to show your support: SACC - Supporters

cg74

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity if I was fishing a stretch of river that can be legally navigated by canoes and a canoeist became entangled in my 80lb bs braid line, causing serious injuries - whose liability would it be?

And what if the river had no canoe navigational rights?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity if I was fishing a stretch of river that can be legally navigated by canoes and a canoeist became entangled in my 80lb bs braid line, causing serious injuries - whose liability would it be?

And what if the river had no canoe navigational rights?

Bit overgunned there aren't you

cg74

Reaction score
Bit overgunned there aren't you

Not really if lure fishing, and supposing I do my usual trick of casting into the trees on the far bank. Then Mr or Mrs canoeist clothesline's themselves on my 'wire' in doing so they break my rod and they get injured putting them off work for a few weeks.

Is either party liable?

This is a genuine question.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Not really if lure fishing, and supposing I do my usual trick of casting into the trees on the far bank. Then Mr or Mrs canoeist clothesline's themselves on my 'wire' in doing so they break my rod and they get injured putting them off work for a few weeks.

Is either party liable?

This is a genuine question.

Sorry I thought it was one of those usual "i'll spray them with maggots" type thing.

Though if you were a member of the Trust you would be covered by your own insurance.

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
I'd say the chances of that happening are very slight - if a canoe came along whilst you were snagged, you'd have time to warn them or sink the line (they have a very shallow draught) until they pass. Can I suggest we shouldn't get too upset about canoes? Most canoeists I encounter are pleasant and considerate. A few are wallies, but then every walk of life (including angling) suffers from that. We actually have a lot of common interests - clean water, access, etc, etc. We should be trying to co-operate with each other.

cg74

Reaction score
Sorry I thought it was one of those usual "i'll spray them with maggots" type thing.

Though if you were a member of the Trust you would be covered by your own insurance.

I have liability insurance in my home policy, so being covered isn't an issue.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

I'd say the chances of that happening are very slight - if a canoe came along whilst you were snagged, you'd have time to warn them or sink the line (they have a very shallow draught) until they pass. Can I suggest we shouldn't get too upset about canoes? Most canoeists I encounter are pleasant and considerate. A few are wallies, but then every walk of life (including angling) suffers from that. We actually have a lot of common interests - clean water, access, etc, etc. We should be trying to co-operate with each other.

I agree the likelihood is slight but it's still a genuine risk and on a casting ineptitude day that I'm prone to, the likelihood is greatly increased.

Then on a better casting day; casting 3/4 way across a river with a heavy feeder - If there are no navigational rights, then the angler has no liability.
If there are navigational rights, then I guess the liable party is the one that shows the least diligence (if one party is actually at fault?).

You're of course right; fools are found in every sector in life, be that angling, canoeing, football, cricket... whatever...

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Some friends and I were once fishing the Ebro in Spain for catfish. We were using the bottle method which involves tripods and tight 80lb braid stretching across the river to a buoy (2ltr bottle). Only just in time did we hear the floatilla of Jetskis coming around the bend... It would have decapited one of them for sure.

Questions of legal responsibility is one for the lawyers, even if there is no PRN.