Like fishing? - http://www.paulgoesfishing.com/

For fishy updates follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/Angler_PaulM

Default Re: Any cold winter fishing tips

Keep on fishing

Brilliant 'ad' Chris, congratulations to whoever came up with that
    Some people are so poor, that all they have is money

I've not read all the post but if it's not already been said, if fishing for chub with cheese paste, keep it as soft as possible, but not so soft it comes off the hook while casting. And also keep the point of the hook clear of the paste. Cheese will go quite hard when the water temp drops below 6C. Chub have a habit of just mouthing the bait and even with a good pull, when you strike you can just pull the bait out of their mouth. If you mount your bait on a hair keep it as short as possible for the same reasons as above.

If like me you carry a small dispenser box of shot around - in cold weather - keep it in a pocket so it gets a bit of warmth from your body! The odd few centigrades the shot picks up will make it a bit more malleable - particularly if you have frozen fingers too!
    Keeping the shot in a bag or outside pocket will cause them to seem rock-hard and impossible to pinch on - or even feel - with frozen fingers!
    Tight Lines!

Gloves......Tried many over the years, all offering warm fingers, but never found anything better than loose fitting ski gloves. Loose fitting because you can sit with them on (I'm talking sedentary fishing here, in very cold weather ) but still have your hands out of them in a trice, if a 'run develops or the float starts to go away.
    The 'loose fitting' aspect also means you can bring your fingers out of the finger holes and move them around ( in the area meant for the upper hand ) to give them more movement, without actually withdrawing them from the glove.
    It's only my opinion, but I think having fingers stuck down standard gloves and trying to induce some warmth by rubbing together doesn't work as well....

Ski gloves are made for extreme temperatures, and although not perfect they can do a good job. I nicked my pair from my son many moons ago after a school ski trip and they still work very well....NOT in all conditions (trotting etc ), though !

Alternatively, I've found an extra large 'fishing cloth' on the lap and lightly wrapped around the hands, whilst waiting for a bit of action, can give some immediate relief from the elements....

Hands, as with feet, need special care and attention, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    Gloves......The 'loose fitting' aspect also means you can bring your fingers out of the finger holes and move them around ( in the area meant for the upper hand ) to give them more movement, without actually withdrawing them from the glove.
    It's only my opinion, but I think having fingers stuck down standard gloves and trying to induce some warmth by rubbing together doesn't work as well....

Hands, as with feet, need special care and attention, IMHO
    Some good points here. The best I have found are the Trakker Polar Fleece Foldback gloves. They do afford the space to move your fingers about within.

They are not perfect, but certainly much better than any others I have tried.

Although carp may pick up a bait now they have had the time to acclimatise to the cold water, I would still rather spend 3/4 hours roving for Chub on a river when its this cold. Still more chance of a fish and a bit of walking helps keep the body warm.

I have some hand warmers which I think I bought from Marks and Spencers. They are those boil in water for ten minute types and they go liquid. When you click them they warm up and go solid. They are not ideal, as they do not last that long ( about 30 mins) but, good for a short fishing spell fishing to get the hands warm and at least there's no lighting or fuel to worry about. Clean quick and easy.

Blog Entries

If you turn up at a water to find it frozen over, all is not lost; before you give up and go home have a look around and look for small areas of thin cracked or melted ice (like in the link below), this often reveals where an under water spring is located and this can be valuable information and can be a fish magnet at any time of the year (they usually stay at the same temperature all year round, feeling cool during a hot summer and feeling warm in the depths of winter).

< locating underwater springs >

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 05-02-2015 at 11:07.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have reached that age where I choose not to fish in cold, miserable conditions and prefer to retire to the comfort of a cozy pub with a log fire.

However, back it the day before I got all lazy I made a point of choosing a species to fish for dependant on the conditions. I always found chub to be a reliable winter quarry or if you happen to be in the right place then grayling are a welcome species.
    The beauty of both of these is that you can pursue them with minimal tackle and bait which allows you to keep on the move which will help to keep you nice and warm.

Having said all that weather reports of a warm wet front coming in on south westerly winds after a long cold spell will still get me reaching for the barbel rod.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast