Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Any cold winter fishing tips

Hi all

I will be the first to admit to being a bit of a warm weather angler, with my gear going into hibernation by October and not normally seeing the light of day until April at the earliest, and the older I get and the more arthritic I get the worse I get.

I have now gone and spent out on some warm and waterproof gear and fancied giving winter fishing a go, but need a few tips on baits and presentation.

I only fish commercials and 90% of that is mini method with 2mm pellets on the feeder and 6mm boilies or pellets as hook bait.

What's the best approach for winter, I was thinking of giving the old standby of liquified bread in a small cage feeder and bread on the hook, does that sound like a plan or has anyone got any other advice.

I will obviously not doing long sessions but would like to help my chances of catching a few to make the cold nose and fingers worth it.

Thanks for any help and tips.

Paul

Default Re: Any cold winter fishing tips

Have a look at this thread on winter fishing Paul, it covers practical tips and advice on safety, baits, species and presentation for both river and stillwater.

Laguna's top 10 tips for winter fishing - No.1 and a few more

at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, even the best warm weather gear only keeps in the heat generated by you own body and this heat will dissipate over time-going for a 5 minute walk every hour will keep your clothing system "topped up" nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    Have a look at this thread on winter fishing Paul, it covers practical tips and advice on safety, baits, species and presentation for both river and stillwater.

Laguna's top 10 tips for winter fishing - No.1 and a few more
    I've not long been back into the sport since taking a 20 odd year break, but all I will say is don't over-feed, and some people don't feed at all in the winter. Fish are much more lethargic in the winter (in most cases) and tend not to move around so much, bunching up in small shoals. I've had some success on commercials this winter with either a very small feeder or a led with single hook baits. I was always under the impression the feed should be visual in winter, so perhaps corn, or if you like boilies (a lot of my commercials ban them), then why not try a high viz pop up on a hair? I'll occasionally use 6 or 8mm hi viz, in pinks, greens, yellow, white etc. Or a worm attached to a led. Maggots will go down well and I tend to either kill mine to stop them burying themselves.

Look for areas of safety for the fish such as next to islands etc. Also, it's not always the case that fish go to the bottom in winter. It can depend of other things like wind direction.

I was always taught 3 things.

1. Find the fish...
    2. Find the fish...

guess what 3 is...
    Last edited by sampras43; 06-01-2014 at 08:29.

If you are going to fish at this time of year and it's not your usual bag then it goes without saying that choosing mildish days, or at least days of settled weather will probably offer the best chance of fish. Many folk, including me, tend to fish the 'warmer' times of day so arriving at (say) 10am and fishing through to around 3pm should be about right for you as well.
    Personally, I think it comes down to doing a bit of homework on the water(s) you intend fishing.....no point in sitting next to a water which yields poor results during the winter months!! If you are sure your commercials produce fish at this time of year then asking at local tackle shops or just walking around talking to anyone fishing will save you a lot of time in the long run....
    I think you have to be somewhat 'dedicated' and really up for this time of year as it's very easy to lose confidence sitting behind rods at a water that no shows sign of producing. Catches are likely to be minimal, but bringing a decent roach to the net from cold water has a special type of magic, BUT it is very hard work at times!
    On baits (and I don't fish commercials!) I tend to go for bread flake, maggots and casters (simply because they work on MY water!), sometimes with a very small feeder or just on the lead with light loose feed. A nice light float set-up can also work very well on light tackle.

If you decide to venture out then my major tip is take plenty of hot drink with you, and I mean plenty!! Being warm, and you will get cold just sitting, makes everything a little easier and helps you stick at the task. You may not catch for a few trips, but with that 'homework' behind you, success can be yours with effort.
    Maybe going with another, more experienced angler, used to winter fishing, would also help you get started......................

Hope you give it a try!!

ps ....and as someone else has said, DON'T overfeed, 'little and often' being a good guide. Oh, and a very warm hat works wonders!!!
    Last edited by Tee-Cee; 06-01-2014 at 09:00.

Thanks Tee Cee, that has been really helpful to me too!

All good advice. Warmth and safety are prime. If you're going solo let somebody know where you're heading and roughly expected time back. If you're river fishing be careful in terms of slippery, steep banks and rising levels.Don't get complacent on lakes,canals,ponds - venues can have very deep water under the rodtip and one mistake on an icy or slippery bank!

Plenty of warm drinks...and forego the standard anglers camou posing thong and wear long-johns!

The baiting advice is sound...although you may find on days where the weather is warming after a cold period that they're "having it". And keep at it...the number of times I've caught the only, the best or even all the fish in the last knockings before dusk (or actually after it's got dark).

ESSENTIAL TO KNOW AND BE SURE OF THE SAFE ROUTE BACK ACROSS FIELDS ETC. Buy a decent headtorch - the petzl ones are costly but worth it.

And enjoy!
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

those petzl headtorches really are good, you will pay a bit but only ever pay it once!

paul80...........I forgot to mention taking an umbrella or some form of shelter, particularly if it's very windy (the so called 'chill' factor) will make the world of difference even if the temps are reasonable. angled against the wind they work very well.
    Also, and this well be more for the 'older' anglers, a tube of non flavoured 'lip ice' or lip balm applied before yuou start will save chapped lips later on.......and keep one's partner onside as well!!

Good boots are an absolute must for feet which, after all, are the furthest from the heart so always likely to be cold from lack of circulation. Lots of old Threads on this subject if you check via 'search'..

nothing like be cosy on a winters day.........................................
    Last edited by Tee-Cee; 06-01-2014 at 15:51.

Buy some Skee-Tex Field Boots

Ron.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast