small bait-runner reel

dead peg

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a small bait-runner reel to match a 10ft feeder rod ?
Something about size 035/040 , for around £30.
I need the bait-runner option because its for my teenage Son who's hands are usually on his mobile phone or down the front of his kecks :eek:mg:
I know I wont get much for that price but its only for occasional use so any advice welcome .. thanks

Last edited:

slaphead

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Shakespeare range? I use one occasionally and find them ok.

naxian62

Reaction score
TF Gear Power GT smallest is 4000 size cheap enough ?

bigfish74

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Shakespeare range? I use one occasionally and find them ok.

Im with you on this one
Jus bought one off ebay 17.99 free postage bamg on for the money and free delivery as well

Andy

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa Regal Z 4000 is a great reel but out of your budget range but worth a look on EBay for secondhand.

Beaker

Reaction score
You could take a look at the Okuma Carbonite ll baitfeeder, the 40 size is currently a gnats under £30 at Go Outdoors, and the reviews are preety good too.

robtherake

Reaction score
The 30 size Okumas make great feeder reels. I have a couple of Polycasts from 6/7 years ago: 4 bearings, solid as a rock, 3 ally spools, never let me down. Size-wise, they're just a tiny bit bigger than the current 2500 baby baitrunners from Shimano.

One went on the bay last night - intended to buy it as a spare, but forgot - it went for a measly 8 quid!

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
My little Okuma's work well, have never skipped a beat and have been used in some muddy conditions

flightliner

Reaction score
:
Its a big ask, if the lads hands are usually down his kecks, the reel may be required to be handled with the user wearing boxing gloves!:D

The bad one

Reaction score
Okuma Epix V2 EXP 40
Fishing Republic.Org - Fishing Super Store

These reels are fantastic I have the 55s of them.
For those that know Okuma Epixs they are the same size as the old 30 range. I handled the V2 40 range last week thinking they would be the same as the old Epix 40s, which I wanted in the V2 model, but because they are only the old 30 size they didn't have the line capacity I wanted and didn't buy. But without doubt would have done if I was in the market for a reel of that size.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Another vote for Okuma, they have a good range and either the carbonite II or the epix should fit the budget. I've had two interceptors in the 40 size, a bit bigger than you're looking at but TBH the size of the reel doesn't change all that much, it's more in the spool size. Mine are reliable, responsive and have stood up to a great deal of abuse in the seven years I've had them. Really good value for money (compared to the equivalent daiwa or shimano).

guest61

Reaction score
Which model are they, sbc?

I have an interceptor pro (cheap second hand off ebay) works very well, and a longbow 30 that I brought new. 30 size is brill, 40 size is big and heavy though so would give it a miss.

The epix v2 must be the best budget reel? I have handled one and looked great, never used it though. If the older Epix pro's were anything to go by then excellent value for money

The bad one

Reaction score
Another vote for Okuma, they have a good range and either the carbonite II or the epix should fit the budget. I've had two interceptors in the 40 size, a bit bigger than you're looking at but TBH the size of the reel doesn't change all that much, it's more in the spool size. Mine are reliable, responsive and have stood up to a great deal of abuse in the seven years I've had them. Really good value for money (compared to the equivalent daiwa or shimano).

Yes Jim you are right the body size of Epix and Epix pro rang are all the same size. It's the head/spool size that differs. By having the same body size for all, It's how they keep the costs down but the quality up I imagine.

I have been a fan of Okuma since they lunched the brand in the UK, and currently have about 14 of their reels in various sizes and models. The older models having been hammered but still in full working order despite their battered look.
But as I'm not a tackle tart the look of something doesn't put me off using them, it's the workable order and reliability I'm most interested in and none have come up sort in this department.
Looks of things on the bank don't catch you fish, it's workability and reliability under battle conditions that do. And they have never failed me.

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help gents .Ordered him the Okuma Epix V2 . Looks a lot of reel for £35 and will be ideal for him .
He'll fish the method feeder a occasionally so a bait-runner would be the safer option ... when were fishing I keep telling him to keep one hand on his tackle but he's totally misunderstood me ;)