Racine Tortue - Blast from the past

nicepix

Reaction score
I know that Flightliner mentioned this last week. I haven't seen it for years. At one time all the top continental match anglers used Racine Tortue line. Today, I've been out to a Brocante which is a sort of antique come junk shop and seen a bag of about 20 unused spools of Racine Tortue for 8 euros.

Old timers form an orderly queue now! :D

flightliner

Reaction score

NP, buy it! Absulutely superb line in its day . It would hold its own now against many of the hi tech, overpriced lines available now.
I, ve held the veiw for several years now that tho theres a place for all available lines hi tech is a bit ott when it comes to pushing a float down a river. Old brands like Bayer and such are far far better with less "user problems".
If the line you have seen has been kept in a cool dark place it should be ok-- a chancy buy, but you could be on a winner.
Oh-- I, ll have a spool of 1kg if you, re over sometime ;)

ps, almost forgot, I have a spool of 4kg in my fly bag, had it forever and its still fine, I remember using it on the opening day at Toft Newton res near Market Rason back in '74, Its called Yorkshire thrift.:eek:mg:

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
If the line is still there next time I call I'll have a closer look to see what breaking strains are in the bag. I noticed that there were a few larger than normal spools, but didn't look any closer than that. As you say, it is a gamble as there is no guarantee regards previous storage.

I was there to pick up an oak buffet that we had bought yesterday and was browsing the destockage section while waiting for the man to find trolley. I got some vintage Rapalas from a different Brocante last year for next to nothing :)

redfin123

Reaction score
ps, almost forgot, I have a spool of 4kg in my fly bag, had it forever and its still fine, I remember using it on the opening day at Toft Newton res near Market Rason back in '74, Its called Yorkshire thrift.
You must be joking flight still using a spool of 40 year old line. Ive heard the saying tighter than a ducks arse but that beats the lot. I suppose you are using that 40 year old line on your clapped out 40 year old mitchell reels as well. :eek:mg::eek::eek: Only joking flight I used it myself until maxima came out, still one of the best lines today, IMO.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
I know that Flightliner mentioned this last week. I haven't seen it for years. At one time all the top continental match anglers used Racine Tortue line. Today, I've been out to a Brocante which is a sort of antique come junk shop and seen a bag of about 20 unused spools of Racine Tortue for 8 euros.

Old timers form an orderly queue now! :D

:D
Me first, if its not brittle?

Just loved the stuff, would certainly beat a lot of todays lines for sure.

flightliner

Reaction score

Redfin, -- , you make me pee mate, my Trent stick float companion makes cracks at me like that from time to time but its just fun. Just to add however, I also have a couple of very old hooks too --- ones a left and the others a right!:D:D

nicepix

Reaction score
You must be joking flight still using a spool of 40 year old line. Ive heard the saying tighter than a ducks arse but that beats the lot. I suppose you are using that 40 year old line on your clapped out 40 year old mitchell reels as well. :eek:mg::eek::eek: Only joking flight I used it myself until maxima came out, still one of the best lines today, IMO.

Of course he uses it on a (French) Mitchell reel. You wouldn't put diesel in a Ferrari would you :eek:mg:

Right. I've got two customers for my proposed venture into selling antique fishing line. Any more? :D

redfin123

Reaction score
:D
Right. I've got two customers for my proposed venture into selling antique fishing line. Any more?
thanks but no thanks, ps. flightliner has got a few antique fishing rods which he still uses on the trent, to very good effect I might add.:D:D:D:D

flightliner

Reaction score

Learnt my float "Trent trade" with the very best Redfin, pretty much all gone now save for the odd one or two.Still fish with the gear and anglers that did it then from time to time. No reason to change whats best!.;):wh

nicepix

Reaction score

redfin123

Reaction score
Learnt my float "Trent trade" with the very best Redfin, pretty much all gone now save for the odd one or two.Still fish with the gear and anglers that did it then from time to time. No reason to change whats best!.
So true flight we are the few of so many that knew the trent trade, long may it last for us.:):):)

abuman

Reaction score
Hello lads I'm after some of this line in 120z and 1 pound breaking strain has anyone got any I could buy thanks John

nottskev

Reaction score
Racine Tortue! I had a spool of 12oz for hooklengths as a teenage canal novice in 1974. I thought it was the height of sophistication, and great line. I used every inch on the spool. Another long-lost line from a bit later - Sundridge Green Force in 1.5 lbs. Great for light stick float and hooklengths. I wish you could still get both.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I never actually knew whether "Racing Tortoise" was an intentionally jokey English name for this line!? It actually translates as something like "Radical Turtle"...

trotter2

Reaction score
I used it back in the 70s I can't have been that impressed tbh. As I went on to use Bayer exclusively.
Old post reborn this one.