Well! Isn't anyone fishing this weekend?

nicepix

Reaction score
It appears that Peter has gone missing so I'll kick it off. Are any of you venturing out this weekend?

I managed a day out on Thursday. I had been watching the forecast for a few days and Thursday appeared to be a dry window in the wet weather. It was forecast to be warm, dry and with a very strong southerly wind. After a leisurely breakfast I set off and noticed from the car temperature gauge and rain splattering on the windscreen that the forecasters had only got one element right. It remained stubbornly around 7C all morning, half that was promised although the rain helpfully stopped just after I arrived.

I walked up and down the river bank with the dog looking for signs of life where there were none and putting a bit of hemp seeds in likely spots. Then back to the car and tackled up for some margin floodwater fishing using worm as bait. After a couple of hours and three changes of swim I came to the conclusion that every crayfish in the Vienne had congregated in that stretch of river. So, as I only had about four hours left on the clock I decided to opt for a safe swim at a mate's lake that I knew would be sheltered from the strong blustery wind.

A fifteen minute drive and 1/4 mile walk through woodland saw me at the far end of Dave's lake where a stream runs int a shallow bay. The lake is about 6 acres and completely surrounded by woodland so appears very claustrophobic to me as I prefer larger waters. This is only one of two swims that don't feel like you are fishing in prison.

I plumbed the depth and set up a waggler in a deep channel about three or four rod lengths out. Feed was hemp seed and milled maize and I had a red worm on a 14 hook. Bites came straight away, the frustrating will it / won't it that crucian anglers will identify with. As there are no crucians in the water and the tench aren't due to be delivered until next month I suspected small carp might be responsible. A bit of juggling depth and shotting pattern resulted in hook ups; carp around 1.5 - 3lb that were unhooked in the shallow margins. I changed to a 12 hook and bigger bait and as I still had just over an hour to fish before I had to have the car back I invested in a pouch of magic chicken pellets into the swim. Bingo! bigger carp was the result. The dog wasn't happy as she was using the net as a bed and had to be shifted off it. Try attracting the attention of a deaf spaniel who is fixated on the fish at the other end of your line!

The last two fish were like chalk and cheese: one a long thin eel of a creature and the other chubby like a butcher's wife:

So. What are your plans for the weekend or results from mid-week?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No fishing this weekend my granddaughters flew in from Spain last night and are going to the O2 to see strictly come dancing this afternoon with their nan. Then this evening the family is going out to dinner and they fly back to Spain tomorrow back to school on Monday This is their Christmas present. How things have changed we used to get a orange and a few nuts:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm still here mr pix. The response recently to my regular post has been understandably low due to the weather.
I will of course be out tomorrow on the GUC for a club fixture.
And I will be asking' How did you get on?' tomorrow....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Aborted Friday's trip due to foreseen circumstances......................

As I generally don't fish weekends, unless it's a fish'in or other organized do, I'm on a recce with a friend on Monday to assess the condition of local rivers/pits for a trip/s later in the week.

PS Nicy, have you replaced the gears on that 'reel' after landing those fish.....................;)

nicepix

Reaction score
Cheeky sod! As Mr. Flightliner will agree the gears on a Mitchell are made from a top secret material that takes around forty years to 'run in' and has a chemical half life of several thousand years :w

:D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My river has been in flood constantly since mid Oct. I've tried a couple of half-hearted attempts but gave up after a short while both times. Perhaps I shoud have persevered as a friend managed two days last week when the river was only in awful conditions, rather than impossible, and had a pair of barbel each trip to 9lbs. However fishing 6oz leads don't really do it for me.
But last week on a trip back to the smoke, a good mate took me to Bury Hill for the day chasing zander. We had three takes between us but only put one fish on the bank. I landed that one and lost another, nothing big but a very welcome fish after what is probably the longest spell without fishing I've had in the last thirty years.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't you have some very nice gravel pits just outside Ringwood? I recall fishing one with an island in the middle that was, supposedly, stuffed full of big carp, tench and roach, but needless to say I didn't get a touch.............

I've flunked out of fishing this week despite being determined to go until I looked out of the window. However, tomorrow I shall go even if I have to sit in the wind, rain all morning.......Still water, after anything that swims, but some roach (any size over 9" will do!) would be nice...Fishing dead light with flake..

ps I shall take my flippers just in case!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well I braved the gales, caught 3 small roach in just over 2 hours , conditions were poor , wind made casting difficult ,one minute nothing then just as I went to cast the wind blew the float away from where I was aiming

I didn't try the pole in those conditions

nicepix

Reaction score
Looking at out forecast we're going to have strong southerly winds right up to next weekend. Only Tuesday and Wednesday are forecast to be dry and coincidentally will be significantly warmer so that's when I will aim to be out again.

C

chefster

I fished at Dennets at Daventry on thurs ,had 14 carp for 32 lb and the match win,2nd was 27 lb,3rd was 5 lb odd,only 9 fished though...Today fished TBF ,bottom pool had 15 F1,s and 3 mirrors for 35 lb,probably could of caught a lot more,but it was excessively windy,still an enjoyable day though with,Bad H,Brummie Phil and Shallowman...Cheers Gaz:D

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing?

In these conditions?

The Hampshire Avon is about 300 yards wide in most of my usual swims . . . . . .

Never mind Peter even though the fishing is a washout you could have watched Liverpool v Arsenal on BT Sport this afternoon. :wh :D :thumbs:

clayton wood

Reaction score
For a change from fishing the Dove. I fished one of the clubs pools on Thursday morning. It fished ok, 4 carp all around 5-7lb and some lovely roach, all on maggot. Wimped out at lunch when it started to rain.

cb_1948

Reaction score
Live by the Stour and Avon in Christchurch, both have been flooded since late December.

Yesterday cabin fever set in and I went to a local pond which holds only carp and tench.

Didn't expect much ... but in five hours had five tench and two carp.

Wouldn't have believed you could catch tench in February.

P2020001.jpg

A

alan whittington

Live by the Stour and Avon in Christchurch, both have been flooded since late December.

Yesterday cabin fever set in and I went to a local pond which holds only carp and tench.

P2020001.jpg

A friend of mine,a certain Dave Magonigle lives in your neck of the woods and is tearing his white hair out not being able to fish the rivers,he found a spot somewhere on the Avon today,probably wont catch but at least he's on a river.:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

P2020001.jpg

That's a very nice specimen - lovely colour, body shape and proportions. I would be pleased to have caught that. Far prefer commons to mirrors.

redfin123

Reaction score

P2020001.jpg
Thats a very nice fish mate but please do,nt hold them as high as that for photos, if you dropped it it couldkill it.:eek:

mike47

Reaction score
Am off to a nearby lake first thing in the morning. Not expecting a great deal, but it will be lovely to be fishing. The forecast is good for this area. Have got a bait bag with an endless variety of tasty goods, so the fish are in for a treat. Just hope I am .