Taking bait to Ireland

stevejay

Reaction score
Morning all,
Am off to Ireland in May and am considering taking some bait (a) as I arrive late Saturday so won't be able to buy anything there until Monday and (b) as it's damn expensive over there!
Anyone got any tips about preparing worms in particular? Know they need transferring into paper rather than soil etc. Appreciate maggots can be cooled down to an inert state and sealed in bags.

Any experiences would be welcomed.

stevejay

Reaction score
Thanks for that .

Have the ability to buy bait from the farm in Ballyconnell, but like I said, I need some to tide me over until they re-open, but can get it so much cheaper over here, especially the worms as in Ireland they are so expensive.
Will probably take a few pints of mags and get the rest over there, but wanted to take a couple kilo of worms with me.

john step

Reaction score
If its bream you are after make sure you take cooked wheat in large quantities.Take it frozen. It is ok even when its been defrosted a few days. It is wonderful for pre baiting. They will keep grubbing around and hold on in the swim for ages. It doesn't attract the eels! I am talking about half a bucket catapulted at a time here.

nicepix

Reaction score
Put your worms in a shallow box with layers of damp cardboard. If you can get some moss from tree trunks or old walls then put some of that in too as you can use it in your smaller bait box to transport enough bait to fish for the day.

Try to pack the box somewhere so it is insulated against the warm air inside the car and away from the windows.

If you have access to cooking facilities where you are staying I'd be tempted to get a bag of milled maize from an animal feedstuffs store and boil a pan full up each evening. Then use artificial maize or tinned sweetcorn on the hook.

p.s. corrugated cardboard is what you want, not the flat stuff used in cereal boxes.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
If you have'nt already done so, check with your Irish Bait Supplier re picking up your bait, they're very well geared up for anglers, and will be well aware of the problems that arise with week-end arrivees.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, and I don't want to burst any bubbles, but May is early for fishing in Ireland, particularly in the Shannon region. I'm not sure if bream will be on the feed.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I just thought I'd let you know.

The roach fishing can be fantastic, however, and we are having a mild winter at the moment, so the tench should be feeding.

stevejay

Reaction score
Am actually going on 31st May, but I don't mind roach over bream:)

Also am not going to the Shannon area, its Ballyconnell where I am heading.