Super size hemp for hookers

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just one point here, and I believe I’ve probably mentioned it in earlier threads in respect of artificial baits, I don’t believe there is any need for finesse when using artificial hemp. I tend to use a size 18 with the point going through the white bit and then turned all the way to back of the shank leaving the hook fully exposed. I’ve even found that a 16 doesn’t put the fish off.

Once they are on the seed they will take anything that they see that resembles it split shot beads float rubbers anything same thing when spraying maggots but that can cost a bomb these days hemp is very cheap. When the fish are on the seed the use of tares can sort out the bigger fish.

mick b

Reaction score
I did not think about that would perlite be dangerous as well

Hi Tink,
Its the little bits of plastic type material that float that are the major problem.
It can be anything from those little polystyrene balls that are formed into insulation/packing, chips off bits of plastic or material similar to vericulite.
If its small and floats the birds will eat it.

What is does is to fill the bird up leaving very little room for real food, because it doesnt degrade it stays there and accumlates and eventually the bird starves to death.

For lead wire just buy a spool of small diameter solder, the same as the plumbers use, better value than anything from a tackle shop.

I brought my last spool twenty plus years ago and its still only half empty.

:D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Tink,
Its the little bits of plastic type material that float that are the major problem.
It can be anything from those little polystyrene balls that are formed into insulation/packing, chips off bits of plastic or material similar to vericulite.
If its small and floats the birds will eat it.

What is does is to fill the bird up leaving very little room for real food, because it doesnt degrade it stays there and accumlates and eventually the bird starves to death.

For lead wire just buy a spool of small diameter solder, the same as the plumbers use, better value than anything from a tackle shop.

I brought my last spool twenty plus years ago and its still only half empty.

I can see your point I have always been against poly balls in bait when it was used a couple of times on the fishery to create pop ups with large baits do you think cork balls would take long to break down. Plastics are a bit of a mine field when you think about the on going effect that could come about micro foam zigs floater foam in dead baits . The accumulative effect could cause problems to fish as well as waterfowl.

mick b

Reaction score
Totally agree Tink.

I have always thought that the Carp fraternity are more interested in their catches over and above anything else.

Personally I cannot see any reason for buying artificial material to make a bait pop-up when all you need is a small knife and a handy twig or reed stem.

Always works for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I used to get giant hemp from NSA Baits. As far as I know they are still going, but I can't give a link as the website is "down for maintenance".

However, there are plenty of other sources for what purports to be giant hemp. I don't know how the size or prices compare to ASDA, but they may be worth a look for those, like me, that don't have a local ASDA.

Giant Hemp 600gm | eBay

Giant Hemp - Natures Grub

Sensas Giant Hemp

Hemp and Tares - ATOMIC BAIT.NET

Blue Marra Bait Supplies

Fishing Baits ( Fishing Particles, ect: ) - Hemp Seed GIANT ( DYNO BAITS ) 750g dynobaits.co.uk

robertroach

Reaction score
I fish for roach more than any other fish and in the Summer/Autumn find hempseed nearly always gets them going. I have given up using hemp on the hook as tares are much better - they are bigger, they seem to sort out the bigger fish, you can use a bigger hook and the bites are easier to hit. I don't like to fish too fine - I use a 16 hook to 4lb double strength bottom, and often have to use a disgorger!
I must admit I have tried artificial hemp on the hook and never had a bite.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have to say I think this has been one of the best Threads for ages on bait, and particularly hemp in all it's forms...some good solid info IMHO..
I too had no idea about them Asda stuff, but it's given me food for thought and I shall give it a good trial always assuming my very large local Asda sells it! The wife has added it to the shopping list......................

Anyway, excellent Thread so well done Tinker!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
After boiling the hemp, I save the water and use it to mix ground bait - this gives it a hemp smell and taste - if you're using brown crumb as ground bait this works well

It may mask other flavours in commercial ground bait mixes

sam vimes

Reaction score
After boiling the hemp, I save the water and use it to mix ground bait - this gives it a hemp smell and taste - if you're using brown crumb as ground bait this works well

It may mask other flavours in commercial ground bait mixes

Try many a carper's secret weapon instead, hemp oil. Added to pellets, mixed with groundbait or injected into solid PVA bags. Also available for less (than the tackle trade) from your local supermarket.
Good Oil Hemp Seed Oil 500Ml - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try many a carper's secret weapon instead, hemp oil. Added to pellets, mixed with groundbait or injected into solid PVA bags. Also available for less (than the tackle trade) from your local supermarket.
Good Oil Hemp Seed Oil 500Ml - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

It was on special at our Tesco two weeks ago £2-99 instead of £5-99 but even at the normal price it is cheap. As I said I soak the dry seeds in it in a Tupperware tub . A 285mm tub takes 150 grm bag of seed pour in the hemp oil and leave it till you need it.I used to buy the Sensas mega hemp but have not seen any in my tackle shops for a few years now. I took some to the fishing meeting last night and my friends could not believe how big it was .

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I normally shop in Sainsbury's but if one can buy both hemp AND hookers in Asda, they get my vote...

Oh, we're still on fishing here, aren't we?? :eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I normally shop in Sainsbury's but if one can buy both hemp AND hookers in Asda, they get my vote...

Oh, we're still on fishing here, aren't we?? :eek:mg:

Have a look in Sainsbury's you may get a better class of hemp there or even Waitrose but it may be out of your price bracket in WAITROSE.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a question. I believe it is debatable why fish take hemp but, one of the reasons I have read about is it resembles tiny snails which fish love. When it is cooked it has a "head and tail" making it look more like snails. So, is it better too have a cooked piece on the hook and as ground-bait rather than plain uncooked hemp?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a question. I believe it is debatable why fish take hemp but, one of the reasons I have read about is it resembles tiny snails which fish love. When it is cooked it has a "head and tail" making it look more like snails. So, is it better too have a cooked piece on the hook and as ground-bait rather than plain uncooked hemp?

That indeed was the general thinking some years back and although it has never been proved to my knowledge one way or the other it is not accepted as much today as it once was. I can remember it being banned from some fisheries in my youth. NO HEMP SEED was often to be seen on day tickets in my area. They used to say it drugged the fish:eek:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Regarding the 'snail' thingy; I definitely was of the opinion that it was the similarity to small snails that attracted fish, without really having anything solid to back it up with, other than what I read in books written at the time.

I used the same theory with other baits such as a grain of corn with a maggot pulled up into the soft part of the grain, again giving the theoretical appearance of a snail, or so I thought! Similarly, I used single red worms with a fold of soft flake just pinched onto the hook to (very loosely) imitate a snail......
Both worked well, particularly the latter which produced very good tench.

Finally I have to admit to cheating on occasion where hemp was 'banned' by taking a little bag of the stuff, kept well hidden............
My only excuse is, well, youth I suppose.........................!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding the 'snail' thingy; I definitely was of the opinion that it was the similarity to small snails that attracted fish, without really having anything solid to back it up with, other than what I read in books written at the time.

I used the same theory with other baits such as a grain of corn with a maggot pulled up into the soft part of the grain, again giving the theoretical appearance of a snail, or so I thought! Similarly, I used single red worms with a fold of soft flake just pinched onto the hook to (very loosely) imitate a snail......
Both worked well, particularly the latter which produced very good tench.

Finally I have to admit to cheating on occasion where hemp was 'banned' by taking a little bag of the stuff, kept well hidden............
My only excuse is, well, youth I suppose.........................!!

I can remember standing in a friends kitchen as a nine year old boiling our first lot of hemp in one of his mums saucepans and saying it has got to be good that is why its banned. We went fishing and caught nothing and he got a spank into the bargain off his mum for stinking the house out. His name was Robert Roach I kid you not.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Would you use a hair rig for this or hook directly? I've never used hemp for hook bait and tend to use it for loose feed only.

The easiest way to hair rig hemp is to tie the rig but don't tie a loop in it.
Just leave a tag end. Meanwhile dry your cooked seeds off on a towel.
Dip the hair in superglue then pour the seeds onto it. Some will stick.
Attach a PVA bag of loose seeds to the hook and chuck it out. Not so much a roach method but good for carp and barbel..

richiekelly

Reaction score
There is a better way that I have used since 1976, ( remember that very hot summer?) it has produced Barbel to over 16lbs for my lads and me.