Super size hemp for hookers

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I went to Asda this morning to pick up my angling times and do a bit of shopping. While I was there I checked though the home baking section and they had a new lot of Hemp seed in it is in small 150g bags and is a pound a bag. But the size of the seed more than makes up for the price 7mm long and 14mm around the thickest part of the seed. I have been buying this extra large seed from Asda for about three years. Some of it I put in soak with hemp oil and then drill it with a super fine drill for use. The rest I just prepare as usual.

daji

Reaction score
Wow that's bigger than i would have thought. i'll have a look next time i visit :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's wrong with that? Why can't you just leave off and stop ruining good threads?

I didn't know Asda sold big hemp and am grateful tinker took the time and effort to let us all know....

Thank you very much. The reason I measured the seed was I have not been able to work out your system for putting up photographs even though one member tried to help me out with it. So seeing as I cannot put up a comparative photo I can only give members the measurements of these large seeds. Many years ago you could get large Chilean hemp but I have not seen any for a long time, Sensas used to market a mega hemp but I have not seen that for a few years either.

---------- Post added at 06:23 ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 ----------

what section was the hemp in at ASDA?

Home baking they do a range of small bagged seeds sunflower ect I have used some of them for experimenting as there is no point in buying a large bag unless you need it . Have a look though the bags of hempseed as some carry bigger seeds than others.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Thank you very much. The reason I measured the seed was I have not been able to work out your system for putting up photographs even though one member tried to help me out with it. So seeing as I cannot put up a comparative photo I can only give members the measurements of these large seeds. Many years ago you could get large Chilean hemp but I have not seen any for a long time, Sensas used to market a meda hemp but I have not seen that for a few years either.

---------- Post added at 06:23 ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 ----------

Home baking they do a range of small bagged seeds sunflower ect I have used some of them for experimenting as there is no point in buying a large bag unless you need it . Have a look though the bags of hempseed as some carry bigger seeds than others.

thanks - there isn't an ASDA local to me now , but one is being built so I'll be on the look out

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can everyone please stick to the topic and stop all of the puerile bickering. We had quite enough pressing of the 'delete' and 'ban' buttons here at FM HQ last night thank you very much.

daji

Reaction score
Would you use a hair rig for this or hook directly? I've never used hemp for hook bait and tend to use it for loose feed only.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same Paul if using real hemp - squeeze it open from the ends and put the bend of the hook in the gap and release to clamp the hook. As mentioned in previous posts I've had just as much, if not more, success using artificial hemp (although feeding the real stuff;)) when the water warms up.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same Paul if using real hemp - squeeze it open from the ends and put the bend of the hook in the gap and release to clamp the hook. As mentioned in previous posts I've had just as much, if not more, success using artificial hemp (although feeding the real stuff;)) when the water warms up.

And much easier to use, no faffing about.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Equally as good is the pin method. If a seed is open and the White shoot is out, stick a pin through the husk (blunt end) then carefully push your hookpoint through the side of the seed and through the pinhole in the husk. Try not to break off the White shoot. Fine wire wide gape hooks are IMO best for this. size 18 Gamma green for instance. Stays on a treat.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would you use a hair rig for this or hook directly? I've never used hemp for hook bait and tend to use it for loose feed only.

The first time I saw a single grain used on a size ten hook I thought the fella was mad but he was catching tench this was in about 63. I had often watch the old boys on the Lea fishing hemp on roach poles and fine tackle but not one grain on a size ten. But it did work and still does.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Equally as good is the pin method. If a seed is open and the White shoot is out, stick a pin through the husk (blunt end) then carefully push your hookpoint through the side of the seed and through the pinhole in the husk. Try not to break off the White shoot. Fine wire wide gape hooks are IMO best for this. size 18 Gamma green for instance. Stays on a treat.

The old fella I fished with used to paint his hook shanks white for fishing hemp on the roach pole.

ravey

Reaction score
I've seen the stuff at my local ASDA. Quite why anyone would want to use it in food is beyond me...

I bought 40kg last year in two separate bags from a pet food store after my local tackle shop went from £30 for 20kg to the £35 for 15kg ('Monster Hemp').

The stuff from the pet food supplier is enormous, but as others have found with hemp of late, 95% simply doesn't split. I tend to cook it at about 12 pints at a time. 48 hours' soaking, then a full tank of fuel in the Coleman stove at full blast with the cooking pot lid on still doesn't get it to split...having said that, as long as it sinks, does it need to split (it will split for hooking if you squeeze hard 'end to end')?

Given the choice, I'd rather it split, but I refuse to be ripped off. The search continues...

Has anyone else had this experience?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen the stuff at my local ASDA. Quite why anyone would want to use it in food is beyond me...

I bought 40kg last year in two separate bags from a pet food store after my local tackle shop went from £30 for 20kg to the £35 for 15kg ('Monster Hemp').

The stuff from the pet food supplier is enormous, but as others have found with hemp of late, 95% simply doesn't split. I tend to cook it at about 12 pints at a time. 48 hours' soaking, then a full tank of fuel in the Coleman stove at full blast with the cooking pot lid on still doesn't get it to split...having said that, as long as it sinks, does it need to split (it will split for hooking if you squeeze hard 'end to end')?

Given the choice, I'd rather it split, but I refuse to be ripped off. The search continues...

Has anyone else had this experience?

The only reason it needs to split is to hook it I do not think it matters to the fish. The seed that I soak in hemp oil catches fish and that never splits as another member said use a pin to pierce or fine model drill as I do myself. Have you tried soaking it then laying it out on a absorbent material like vermiculite and letting it germinate. The vermiculite will float off when you bait up with the hemp. But you will get no liquor but you could boil some off and add it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I did know of a chap back in the early sixties who swore by a black bead glued to the back of a size 18 (or was it threaded on?) with the hook painted white............That he caught was without doubt, but whether it was on the above is open to question!
If you think about it, not too much difference between a bead and a grain of hemp as far as hardness is concerned, but as Gerry says, the imitation jobbies does well enough these days.

Personally I think hemp as a bait, is much underated in certain conditions although getting the set-up correct with fine line/hooks and the bait cooked just right AND making time to get the roach/dace feeding on the stuff tends to put most people off.
I suppose I've always done better in the past with the hemp/elderberry combination (I nearly said 'combo', but I hate that 'word'!) alternating between the two and long trotting over distance...

Regarding the set-up, and these quirks tended to become unwritten 'law' among 'hempers' years ago, it was a given to use very fine lead wire in a coil (formed around a sewing needle) resting on the bottom shot to stop false bites as the fish (maybe) went for the bottom shot as it sank. It was very good though to get the float just right above the surface by removing tiny bits of the lead with scissors.
In hindsight bunching the shot together could do the same job but the lead coil was very popular and worked very well...

Great bags of roach around the Henley area all day long even in hot weather....
Happy days!!!

mick b

Reaction score
The only reason it needs to split is to hook it I do not think it matters to the fish. The seed that I soak in hemp oil catches fish and that never splits as another member said use a pin to pierce or fine model drill as I do myself. Have you tried soaking it then laying it out on a absorbent material like vermiculite and letting it germinate. The vermiculite will float off when you bait up with the hemp. But you will get no liquor but you could boil some off and add it.

To everyone, please remove all vermiculite before use rather than letting it float of down the river, because it has a very long life and its the material that is eaten by birds, eventually killing them.

Good thread, Im going into an ASDA today to look for some.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To everyone, please remove all vermiculite before use rather than letting it float of down the river, because it has a very long life and its the material that is eaten by birds, eventually killing them.

Good thread, Im going into an ASDA today to look for some.

I did not think about that would perlite be dangerous as well.

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

I did know of a chap back in the early sixties who swore by a black bead glued to the back of a size 18 (or was it threaded on?) with the hook painted white............That he caught was without doubt, but whether it was on the above is open to question!
If you think about it, not too much difference between a bead and a grain of hemp as far as hardness is concerned, but as Gerry says, the imitation jobbies does well enough these days.

Personally I think hemp as a bait, is much underated in certain conditions although getting the set-up correct with fine line/hooks and the bait cooked just right AND making time to get the roach/dace feeding on the stuff tends to put most people off.
I suppose I've always done better in the past with the hemp/elderberry combination (I nearly said 'combo', but I hate that 'word'!) alternating between the two and long trotting over distance...

Regarding the set-up, and these quirks tended to become unwritten 'law' among 'hempers' years ago, it was a given to use very fine lead wire in a coil (formed around a sewing needle) resting on the bottom shot to stop false bites as the fish (maybe) went for the bottom shot as it sank. It was very good though to get the float just right above the surface by removing tiny bits of the lead with scissors.
In hindsight bunching the shot together could do the same job but the lead coil was very popular and worked very well...

Great bags of roach around the Henley area all day long even in hot weather....
Happy days!!!

It used to be normal practice when fishing hemp years ago to use lead wire instead of shot. But I was taught to wind it around a piece of matchstick so it held its position on the line. It also was used around the bottom of floats to reduce the amount of shot needed. You can still get it from any fly tying supplier I get mine from Glasgow Angling they do bulk spools of it in two thicknesses.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just one point here, and I believe I’ve probably mentioned it in earlier threads in respect of artificial baits, I don’t believe there is any need for finesse when using artificial hemp. I tend to use a size 18 with the point going through the white bit and then turned all the way to back of the shank leaving the hook fully exposed. I’ve even found that a 16 doesn’t put the fish off.