Low diameter hook length?

Hamish Mcgoobligan

Reaction score
Hi all, i bought a spool of drennan double strength mono in 2 IB12 strain, however i find it is fairly weak when knotting?, can anyone recommend a decent low diameter alternative?,many thanks.

Reaction score
Preston Reflo Powerline - seems to be the most popular one and I certainly have no complaints. Strong, very supple and it knots extremely well as long as you wet the knot, tighten it slowly and keep the pressure on until it beds down fully.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

WB Clarke Match Team line and use single looped four turn grinner knots

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Hamish

I have found Drennan double strength to work well with a palomar knot but not many others! you may want to give it a try before buying another line.

Steve

C

Colin North, the one and only

I use the double strength quite a lot for fly fishing. I think you need to make sure the knots are good. If they are, then the line is good. I found that when tying cove knots, you only want about three turns and no spit/saliva lubricant. Give the knot a good pull once you tighten it and if it doesn't break straight away, it will maintain its strength integrity. I found the same with the tucked blood knot.

S

Sean Meeghan

When connecting low diameter line to your main line use a water knot, but only use 2 turns. If there's a big difference in diameters use a small rig ring and 3 turn grinners. For attaching the hook use a 3 turn grinner or a knotless knot.

I've stopped using low diameter line for my barbel fishing because it doesn't seem as shock resistant as normal line . I use Preston Innovations Grand Match for most of my other fishing. Used to use Reflo, but think the Grand Match is slightly better.