Drennan tench rod

mvwales

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing the newest Drennan tench rod MKIV I am going to be using it for tench fishing but will it also be ok for silver fish or will it be to beefy? Thanks

little oik

Reaction score
I am quite possibly wrong but the MkIV hasnt been sold for at least 6 yrs .Brilliant rod but its evolved into a drennan series 7 tench rod .No idea what they arelike as I am more than happy with my MK IV .The only advantage that I can see is when thy changed the sections to longer ones and incorporated the third section as the handle only so it could be carried as a two piece made up with the reel attached to the middle section to alleviate tangling whilst in the rodbag

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have a couple of these rods, one the original and one the last model. Both great rods with a bit of backbone, but having said that I don't really think too 'heavy' for silvers at a push.....others may disagree though!

I don't know diddly about the Series 7 but I suppose you could go to a shop and have a waggle ........Tried ebay for the Drennan tench??

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
I have the most recent Drennan Tench rod - 13ft, two pieces with a screw-in handle. It's not a Series 7 rod - it's Drennan, with an olive green blank.

Regarding the silverfish question- yes, it will handle silver fish perfectly. Okay, it wouldn't be my first choice for trotting, or for delicate work, but for general waggler fishing, I think you'll be happy.

I use on all the time, and have never caught a tench with it :eek:mg:. I have caught a few big roach, bream and hybrids, however, as well as countless bags of smaller fish.

It's a lovely rod.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I have the 7 series & it is the rod I use the most of all (& as with Bullmoose I have yet to catch a Tench on it :eek:). I have caught plenty of silvers however, & whilst a 3" Rudd won't put much of a bend in it I've certainly not had many problems with tiddlers being 'bumped off'. Equally, when you encounter something bigger (usually 3lb - 8lb Carp with me) it has got reasonable grunt to cope with surging runs. I have been told that the mark IV is a little more 'beefy' but haven't tried one to be able to make the comparison.

Some people don't like the 2 piece with handle extension concept, but I love it personally - I'll take 1 join over 2 any day!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The latest 13ft Drennan Tench has a lot of grunt. I watched a fellow club angler knocking out 3 carp of 10 - 12lb on the waggler with one last summer.

mvwales

Reaction score
So I purchased the drennan tench today the latest one the 5th
generstion. I looking forward to testing it troughout spring and summer.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use my Drennan MKIV Tench Float rod whenever I'm trotting for Barbel on my local stream as well as for Roach, Dace and Chub, it handles them all at a push; it has a nice delicate tip compared to other similar rods that I've seen.

Below is a 9 lb Barbel that I caught on mine.

FourthBarbel2_9lb3oz.jpg

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I have the mark iv and the series 7 tench and specimen...
there is not much between them to be honest, but the mark 4 does have a bit more back bone and has a nicer finish...
I prefer the series 7's handiness as a two piece.
I would suspect the latest model is the best of both worlds