River Wye - Bredwardine Chubbing.

chav professor

Reaction score
Having a weekend planned sometime in advance has never been quite so potentially disastrous. The flooding and recent storm damage became evident as we approached our final destination. It would however seem that fortuitously the River Wye was fishable - the first time this could have sensibly have been said about the river for - well... perhaps months!

I don't know if this is the best way to fish the Wye,but its a method I enjoy... light quiver tip, couple (yes two!) of swan shot and drop into swims that look like potential chub haunts.

If you want to chuck in the big chips and play the big game... you can feed and draw fish to you. On this occasion this proved not only difficult... in fact, few of our number won big. A roving approach was as effective as any.

I will admit that I had my eye on a beautiful swim I found last year; a gravel spit with pacy water racing through on my left. A crease created by slack water to my right. it conveniently seems to line up perfectly to a coarsely vegetated far bank that looks like it should hold good numbers of chub - it does! This year? the Gravel spit was under a difficult to fathom amount of water.... access was most definitely denied!

DSC_2328_zpsae650f81.jpg

Dropping into likely looking swims.

DSC_2325-Copy2_zpsfad82a62.jpg

4lb4oz on bread flake.

DSC_2333_zps80d20ef9.jpg

I have to admit to a certain amount of triumphalism on this occasion.. 'looks a cracking swim... its just if you did catch something, you'll never get it out!'.....

DSC_2333_zps80d20ef9.jpg

yes... that is just mud on my trousers.....

DSC_2337_zpsa7628c1b.jpg

DSC_2340_zpsfc3495d7.jpg

perhaps I look a bit too pleased with myself.......

DSC_2348-Copy2_zpsa2820c24.jpg

5lb on the nose.... Luncheon meat....

cg74

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just my computer but I can't view the images.

And now I can. :confused::confused:

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Were you camping or are you taking up carp fishing??:D

Glad you had a good un.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit iffy on that log what if you had slipped. please wear a life jacket of some kind and give yourself a chance we would not want to loose you.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brother Paul fished that beat for salmon some years ago. He has always been a game angler. A friend of his had the booking in the early salmon season and could not make it so he passed it to my brother. Who had no knowledge of the Wye mainly fishing Scotland and Norway. The river was carrying extra water so he fished a Blair spoon. He did not catch any salmon but he had a pike in double figures and a large chub. Not knowing the river he dispatched both fish and laid them under a hedge for the bailiff to dispose of. The bailiff nearly disposed of him when he found him. He was told toclear off and never come back and you will be glad to hear he never has.:)

richiekelly

Reaction score
My brother Paul fished that beat for salmon some years ago. He has always been a game angler. A friend of his had the booking in the early salmon season and could not make it so he passed it to my brother. Who had no knowledge of the Wye mainly fishing Scotland and Norway. The river was carrying extra water so he fished a Blair spoon. He did not catch any salmon but he had a pike in double figures and a large chub. Not knowing the river he dispatched both fish and laid them under a hedge for the bailiff to dispose of. The bailiff nearly disposed of him when he found him. He was told toclear off and never come back and you will be glad to hear he never has.:)

Disgraceful, all anglers when visiting a fishery should make themselves aware of the rules before fishing.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I fished that beat from the other bank today with 3 other guys, lures and fly. Not a sniff! :)