Votes: 43 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters

sagalout

Reaction score
This is a poll on the close season to obtain clear idea of it's importance to anglers.

Terry D

Reaction score
The poll only illustrates the importance to those who actually vote in that particular poll. It does not reflect the views of all anglers as it is only a sample.

sagalout

Reaction score
I agree Terry, I purposely used the word importance to show that of the 60+ thousand members on here only a tiny percentage will vote and this gives an indication that the close season (possibly any angling issue) is of little concern to the majority of anglers.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The poll only illustrates the importance to those who actually vote in that particular poll. It does not reflect the views of all anglers as it is only a sample.

The same could be said of the figures that the EA quote from there survey.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The snag is that, though I'm sceptical of the closed season, I don't necessarily wish to see it abolished out of hand. Nor do I wish to see it retained for no better reasons than whim or tradition.

aebitim

Reaction score
The snag is that, though I'm sceptical of the closed season, I don't necessarily wish to see it abolished out of hand. Nor do I wish to see it retained for no better reasons than whim or tradition.

Agree 100% if there were an option for reviewing and reforming the season I would vote for that.
The present closed season seems to be more about keeping coarse anglers off the river during the best game fishing, wonder if that was ever a factor or just coincidence?

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not an appropriate poll as the subject is not simply a 'black or white' question. The poll does not ask if the river close season should be changed in duration, or if it should be left to the discretion of individual fishery owners / managers - two key options.

Perhaps someone should re-post the poll with all of the options available?

sagalout

Reaction score
I think I was just trying to show that out of the 60,000 odd FM members only a handful care enough either way to even be arsed to vote, just look at how many views there have been to votes registered. The old saying "I used to apathetic but now I just don't care" springs to mind.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the less options the better yes, no, do not care covers all of the people who just fish . I am not saying the why's and where for's are not important but to most people these days it is a yes or no answer. Look at how many bothered to do the national survey a couple of two years ago you even advertised the fact it was in operation on this forum and how many bothered it covered all the options I think as time goes on and the generations that have lived with the old close season fade away more and more will go for the drop it option. The why's and where fors are not important to them just the fishing.

benny samways

Reaction score
They should look at changing the dates. From an angling perspective I would really love a crack on the rivers during the last 2 weeks of march as they always seem to be bob on.

Id have a closed season on rivers that starts mid to end of April to the start of July. Im not sure about perch and pike, but for the rest of the species on the Great Ouse,- that would cover their spawning periods.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The problem is -is that those that vote "no-the close season should not be abolished" will be read and used in statistics as they are happy with the close season and want no change. Because of that I was not going to vote. I did in the end and voted no, reluctantly; because if I hadn't I would go into the apathetic statistic. But, I should go into the apathetic statistic, because that's what I am becoming. I think I will join the "don't care I will just go fishing and enjoy myself group". They are the wisest and best group. I am pretty sure of it. I doubt they would waste their time taking part and not be bothered by being labeled apathetic either.

I am also beginning to think all these surveys, debates and polls etc are a waste of time, this must be the millionth in my life time. Even the angling trust state in there debate no real desire to lobby or seek change, just another blooming survey to see what anglers think with just the possibility of some actions. But I wouldn't mind betting there wont be.
Quote:-

The Angling Trust will not take any formal position in lobbying for a change in the river close season until we see what the evidence would be on fish stocks and the views of our members and the various groups of anglers. As an organisation committed to conservation, it would be irresponsible of us to do anything else. However, we do accept that this is a live issue and we want anglers on both sides of this debate to have their voices heard and for the arguments to be tested.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The problem is -is that those that vote "no-the close season should not be abolished" will be read and used in statistics as they are happy with the close season and want no change. Because of that I was not going to vote. I did in the end and voted no, reluctantly; because if I hadn't I would go into the apathetic statistic. But, I should go into the apathetic statistic, because that's what I am becoming. I think I will join the "don't care I will just go fishing and enjoy myself group". They are the wisest and best group. I am pretty sure of it. I doubt they would waste their time taking part and not be bothered by being labeled apathetic either.

Along the same lines, I was inclined, in such a bare bones simplistic question, to vote no. However, as this would be interpreted as me being against any changes to the closed season, I was forced to vote yes in this instance. The reality is that, despite appearances, I'm not that bothered if things remain as they are. However, that doesn't mean that I particularly believe in the effectiveness of, or logic behind, the current closed season format.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Surely it is best to firstly establish the prime reason before offering alternatives to that prime?

In this case to maintain a close season as opposed to losing it completely.

Then, as follow up questions, the dates, geographical variations etc can surely follow?

That seems the sensible way to me albeit not the way it would be done in the HoC . . . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Your pretty much in the same boat as me. I just recognize a lot of anglers are unhappy about it one way or another. Its been going on for years and I just think something positive should be done instead of endless debates and polls.

Actually, I think the wrong people are being asked, The RSPCA, Angling Trust, any organizations (ditto) representing the Commercials, Fishing Clubs, the Tackle Trade, Tackle Shops, environmental and fish welfare groups, any organization or university doing any proper studies past and present, Bailiffs, Ghillies---I could think of a few more if I tried.

A poll of these and their official stances, the reasons why etc would be far more beneficial. If they don't have a stance, time they did and a proper assessment would ensue taking into account all interests.. The angling trust and/or the EA should do this instead of just another "what do anglers think" poll. --------Strewth, how many more?

Last edited:

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
If you want to fish from March 15 to June 15 what's wrong with fishing canals, lakes or the Commercial "Farmers Field" "Hook a Duck" fisheries so popular with the so call heavily subsisted band of professional (Hmmmm) Match Anglers and catch "Frankenstein Carp" F9's sat in a circle on the same fish food they are over fed with by the shovel full daily.
Leave the rivers to the proper fishermen who look forward with mounting anticipation the June 15 every year.
Richard Walker must be turning in his grave

Mick "Ashfield Bailiff" on the famous "Golden Mile" on the Trent at Burton Joyce Nottingham

chav professor

Reaction score
If you instigate a 'wishy washy'... lets impose our own restraint, let clubs (with financial restraints and membership to keep happy) impose a version of their own close season, change it because its either too long, too short, not at the right time..... (which is why its 3 months).

Yes there will always be the odd bounder fishing for 'salmon' with lobs or looking to fleece nature out of disrespect for his brother anglers and fish out of season... but that's what they are, hollow, empty selfish beings...

yes, no... or don't care..... more than covers it IMO.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is leaving that poor Mr James out on his own to keep an eye on our rivers (cormorants, poachers, Ide, etc.) while the rest of us take a break..............;)