Big chub or small gras carp!

What is it???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Either I'm going mental or I've just never handled a fish like this before.

I was jumping up and down today after landing a Chub just over 6lb, I also lost a very large Common Carp on the same stretch of River Wey.

However looking at the pics I'm wondering if its a grass carp? I noticed it looked quite pale, the eyes looking paler but the fight and usual under your bank antics was the usual chub thing.

Can somone help please?!!!!

https://flic.kr/p/m1suc2

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've only ever caught three (and they were so much bigger it's hard to make a comparison;) )but it looks very much like a grass carp to me..

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
It's a grass carp - the low set eyes and smaller mouth distinguish it from a chub.
Cracking fish either way.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Yer its a great fish on a small stream. The big common i lost was something else...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

The bad one

Reaction score
That my friend is a grass carp! Did you say you caught it from a stream? Hope you didn't put it back in the stream, if that's where you caught it and it finished up with a lump on it's head.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Ive never killed a fish, why would i ever do that???

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

mick b

Reaction score
Not a Chub thats for sure.

What it is I would leave to an ichthyologist.

Interesting catch, all the same, well done.

xenon

Reaction score
Thought it was a chub at first sight, but the scales look wrong-not scalloped as they should be for a chub.

The bad one

Reaction score
As CG say's it non-native invasive alien species. It might surprise to know under the WC and SFF Act it is a criminal offence to release back into the wild NNI species. I.e. a river: River fish are classed as wild and owned by no one. Whereas fish in Stillwaters are not classed as wild, as they're owned by the owner of the water). Therefore the correct course of action would have been to dispatch it humanly and quickly with a heavy blow to the head.

And that my fiend is why you should.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
As CG say's it non-native invasive alien species. It might surprise to know under the WC and SFF Act it is a criminal offence to release back into the wild NNI species. I.e. a river: River fish are classed as wild and owned by no one. Whereas fish in Stillwaters are not classed as wild, as they're owned by the owner of the water). Therefore the correct course of action would have been to dispatch it humanly and quickly with a heavy blow to the head.

And that my fiend is why you should.

Even if you are unsure as to the actual nature of the fish ? Would it make a significant difference anyway - enough to warrant spoiling a good days fishing or even someones thread ?

Looks a very nice fish though !

nicepix

Reaction score
Even if you are unsure as to the actual nature of the fish ? Would it make a significant difference anyway - enough to warrant spoiling a good days fishing or even someones thread ?

That is a good point. You should only dispatch a fish or animal if you are certain what it is. Obviously the OP wasn't.

p.s. Who voted for it being a chub? Come on. Own up! :D

The bad one

Reaction score

And therein lies another problem the poor recognition skills of some anglers :eek:mg:

Yes it would make a difference Benny, one less invasive to breed with others of it kind. For far to long that attitude has persisted with NNI where anglers turn a blind eye to them to the point where they are doing serious damage to the native populations. Time for them to meet the priest!
Suggesting catching that was a good day's fishing is at best a very subjective point, particularly if chub were the intend target.
I'd be pretty miffed to be honest, but I'd have made sure it never got caught again.....clunk!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
And therein lies another problem the poor recognition skills of some anglers :eek:mg:

Yes it would make a difference Benny, one less invasive to breed with others of it kind. For far to long that attitude has persisted with NNI where anglers turn a blind eye to them to the point where they are doing serious damage to the native populations. Time for them to meet the priest!
Suggesting catching that was a good day's fishing is at best a very subjective point, particularly if chub were the intend target.
I'd be pretty miffed to be honest, but I'd have made sure it never got caught again.....clunk!

Thats your choice , in the grand scheme of things I think the good days fishing described by the OP outweighs any perceived or hypothetical eco damage.

The individual killing of single fish by anglers doesn't seemed to have stemmed any tide with zander or carp in the states or new zealand.

nicepix

Reaction score
I think there is a little over reaction here. It is too much to expect for all anglers to be able to recognise every alien species IMO.

The bad one

Reaction score
There's enough info on the web about them. Dare I say (yes I will) it’s the responsibility of the angler to avail themselves of it.

“Any perceived or hypothetical eco damage.” You do fish I take Benny don’t you? You also read stuff I take it? Then you realise how ridiculous that statement is!

The bases of which is saying the EA, Cefas, Defra and scientific community don’t know what they are talking about!
And “your” evidence to make this pronouncement is what please? Oh the US and NZ, Ehhhh we don’t live there, even though some might think we’re the 51st state of the US, we live in the UK with UK laws governing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.