Sinking match lines

dr_matt

Reaction score
Which line do you think sinks better, thinner or thicker?
Assuming we use the same fishing line.

Some say that it's easier to sink the thinner line.
On the other hand the thicker the line the heavier it is so it should sink better.

For the last few years I've tried several match lines described by the manufacturer as 'sinking'.

And here is the list of my best sinking match lines (1 - best sinking).

1. Browning Black Magic Sinking Match (no longer available)
2. Trabucco T-Force XPS Match Sinking
3. Ignesti New Subline
4. Milo Krepton Sinking
5. Browning Cenex Sinking Match Line and Team Sensas Anglaise
6. Maver Stone River

Windy

Reaction score
Neither. It's density relative to water that matters, not thickness, diameter or surface area.

Simple physics. If its less dense than water it will float, regardless of how thick or thin the line is. And vice versa.

robtherake

Reaction score
Have you tried Maxima, Dr. Matt? It no longer seems fashionable, and is thicker than other lines, but it's as tough as old boots and sinks like a brick.

aebitim

Reaction score
Bit of washing up liquid works a treat, surface tension and all that. Different diameters and specific conditions make it hard to give a definitive answer.

dr_matt

Reaction score
Have you tried Maxima, Dr. Matt? It no longer seems fashionable, and is thicker than other lines, but it's as tough as old boots and sinks like a brick.
No, but after reading your post I'm going to order the line right now :)

I already made some tests but probably the difference in diameter was too small. I bought 0.16 and 0.14 mm of the same line from the same seller. And didn't notice any differences.
This time I'm going to compare 0.14 with 0.18 mm.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Nylon has a density very close to that of water, if anything fractionally denser than water. Sinking or floating lines comes down to the 'finish' on the lines. In the old days Bayer Perlon was the 'floating' line and Maxima the 'sinking' line. If I remember rightly Bayer has a shiny finish and Maxima a matt finish and that is the only difference that changes the floating/sinking quality. A truly denser line is a fluorocarbon line. Using sprays to help a line to float or sink make a difference.

mick b

Reaction score
All nylon line contains up to 30% air, it is held is minute pockets and impossible to remove during manufacture.

Pure Fluorocarbon line (not the rip-off Fluro coated nylon being sold) is a solid line and has a specific density almost equal to water and will lay suspended in water if you place a section into a tank of clear water (be sure to mark the line as its almost invisible to the eye).

As robthelake says Maxima has always been the number one sinking line and if I was ledgering all the time it would be my first choice.
I cannot remember ever getting the stuff to float, not once!

As for all the over hyped lines mentioned, make an informed choice through experimentation rather than what some marketing whiz kid writes, remember also that most European lines come from two factories only!

In order to break the surface tension run the working section of your line through a wetted pad with a drop of washing-up liquid soap and most line will sink if you stuff the rod tip under the surface and reel in a few fast metres immediately after casting.

nicepix

Reaction score
Just remember though what the consequences are when your line sinks. It doesn't lay in a straight line from rod tip to float just under the surface like in the diagrams. The line continues to sink drawing the float towards you until it reaches the bottom or is stopped by the float being anchored on something. After a while the line resembles a bow with the middle part much deeper than the rod and float ends. This can draw your float away from the baited area.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Just remember though what the consequences are when your line sinks. It doesn't lay in a straight line from rod tip to float just under the surface like in the diagrams. The line continues to sink drawing the float towards you until it reaches the bottom or is stopped by the float being anchored on something. After a while the line resembles a bow with the middle part much deeper than the rod and float ends. This can draw your float away from the baited area.

With 2lb Maxima when waggler fishing with sunk line I have never had this happen in practice. I've had the line pulled sideways by the tow of the water though.

nicepix

Reaction score
There are various factors including the line's density, distance, wind direction and speed, etc. Generally, the further out you cast and the heavier the line's density the more likely the line will sink deeper.

Richox12

Reaction score
All nylon line contains up to 30% air, it is held is minute pockets and impossible to remove during manufacture.

Pure Fluorocarbon line (not the rip-off Fluro coated nylon being sold) is a solid line and has a specific density almost equal to water and will lay suspended in water if you place a section into a tank of clear water (be sure to mark the line as its almost invisible to the eye).

As robthelake says Maxima has always been the number one sinking line and if I was ledgering all the time it would be my first choice.
I cannot remember ever getting the stuff to float, not once!

As for all the over hyped lines mentioned, make an informed choice through experimentation rather than what some marketing whiz kid writes, remember also that most European lines come from two factories only!

In order to break the surface tension run the working section of your line through a wetted pad with a drop of washing-up liquid soap and most line will sink if you stuff the rod tip under the surface and reel in a few fast metres immediately after casting.

Noooo - it's the light refractive index NOT density which is similar - but not the same. That's why it is almost invisible in water. . It's density is way more than water at about 1.75/1.8 so relatively speaking it is a lot, lot heavier. Nylon is also way heavier than water. Nylon sinks. It's surface tension or the surface coating/treatments which hold lines up initially. There are many more than 2 nylon extrusion factories in Europe. Also just because a fishing line is from a European supplier/brand doesn't mean it was actually made in Europe.

trotter2

Reaction score
Maxima is the stuff to use as a sinking line, run it through some washing up liquid does down like a brick

dr_matt

Reaction score
As I can see there are two types of Maxima line? Or...
Which one do you use or recommend? Chameleon?

chav professor

Reaction score
Anyone using Drennan Supplex? seems ideal for wagler fishing. Sinks well I presume due to the fine diameter (sink tip and a few handle revolutions). I used it extensively in the summer in 6lb and was really impressed with how robust it appeared.

I'm using 3lb supplex for wag and it behaves well.....

aebitim

Reaction score
I use supplex and it is ok, though fatigues on a loop to loop connection, the preston reflo powermax clear is my favourite, used maxima for a long time but was put off it in the early 2000s by what now appears to have been a bad batch.

dr_matt

Reaction score
Anyone using Drennan Supplex? seems ideal for wagler fishing. Sinks well I presume due to the fine diameter (sink tip and a few handle revolutions). I used it extensively in the summer in 6lb and was really impressed with how robust it appeared.

I'm using 3lb supplex for wag and it behaves well.....

You read my mind... I was just going to order 4lb for the main line and 2.5lb for the hooklength :)
New season and new lines to experiment with :)