Non migratory trout methods

frothy

Reaction score
Drop shot for trout on river during closed season:D,Is it legit? What other methods other than fly? Your thoughts plz.

danielecerullo

Reaction score
I've seen them caught while trotting feeding the swim with maggot, but don't see why any method wouldn't churn up a trout?

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you want to stay legit during the coarse CS, get those May fly ‘lures’ out as soon as they start hatching – you might even hit a big roach/dace/chub...........;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
The permissable methods depend entirely on the riparian owner and/or regional bye-laws. Bye-laws for my local area allow me to fish for trout legering or float fishing worms. I understand that there are a couple of other regions, other than Yorkshire and Northumberland, that have similar bye-laws. A few riparian owners put there own further rules in place to ban such tactics. One particular local club does allow fishing worm for trout. However, if I used a lure, spinner etc, I'd be breaking club rules.

symonh2000

Reaction score
According to the byelaws in my area (Thames) I can fish for them with artificial flys or lures.

But most club waters specify wet or dry fly.

I might have a wander down my local free stretch with the spinning rod.

The bad one

Reaction score
I don't trout fish even though I have access to some very fine trout fishing. But if I did, there would only be one method I'd use and that would be fly fishing.

My personal view would be to use any other method would just be fish catching, for catching sake. Fly fishing is a challenging art form to me and the challenge is more important to me than catching.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't trout fish even though I have access to some very fine trout fishing. But if I did, there would only be one method I'd use and that would be fly fishing.

My personal view would be to use any other method would just be fish catching, for catching sake. Fly fishing is a challenging art form to me and the challenge is more important to me than catching.

I couldn't agree more Phil.

If you want to fish for the sport then fly only!

As to other methods to break the Close Season rules, well, I'm sorry but I really wouldn't encourage that at all.

If you are that eager to catch coarse fish then please, try a stillwater where it is permissable.

trotter2

Reaction score
The other thing is were worm fishing is allowed on rivers its single baits, and no loose feed of any sorts. Thornaby AC have trout matches every year and rules apply.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Phil.

If you want to fish for the sport then fly only!

As to other methods to break the Close Season rules, well, I'm sorry but I really wouldn't encourage that at all.

If you are that eager to catch coarse fish then please, try a stillwater where it is permissable.

I occasionally fish for trout with worm. It has nothing whatsoever to do with breaking closed season rules. The fact is that I'm not breaking any law or rule in doing so. However, I make sure that, where I'll use such methods, there is no chance whatsoever of catching and coarse fish. If there is a chance of catching coarse fish, I don't fish, even if the bye-law allows. Sadly that isn't the case for everyone.

Whilst the fluff chucking purists might get snotty about it, not that I give a stuff, catching a trout using a float and a worm is damned good sport.

trotter2

Reaction score
I occasionally fish for trout with worm. It has nothing whatsoever to do with breaking closed season rules. The fact is that I'm not breaking any law or rule in doing so. However, I make sure that, where I'll use such methods, there is no chance whatsoever of catching and coarse fish. If there is a chance of catching coarse fish, I don't fish, even if the bye-law allows. Sadly that isn't the case for everyone.
Whilst the fluff chucking purists might get snotty about it, not that I give a stuff, catching a trout using a float and a worm is damned good sport.

I agree Sam and very traditional around these parts :)