useful small item of tackle?

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) what would you say has been the most useful small item of tackle you have bought, not an easy question I know as we carry so many useful bits &bob's. I think mine would have to-be my drennan hook tyer from a size 8 down to size 24 tied in seconds.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Two spring to mind straight away:

1. A wind knot picker from Sensas - I've had this for a number of years and think I use it every time the pole comes out of the holdall

2. A Stotta or Stotz pincers which are invaluable

ravey

Reaction score
Styl pincers, which I also use for putting on lead shot (8,s and smaller), and for squeezing down hook barbs. Can also be used as a hook tyer.

Small pair of 'Fiskars' orange-handled scissors.

Drennan boilie needle (the short orange-handled type), which apart from hair-rigging baits, is used as a knot picker and for help with tying knots (threading short ends through tiny loops).

Three very useful bits of kit, without which those 'simple' tasks would be made so much more difficult, especially in cold/wet weather!

john step

Reaction score
Stotz which revolutionise my ability to use No.8s (fat fingers)
Enterprise ledger stops. I don't ledger without them.(tangles are rare)

B

binka

I reckon mine has to be the pellet bander, it's opened up a whole new set of possibilities since I started using one and I've banded, other than pellets, meat, prawns, crust, sweetcorn, bunches of worms etc etc. all to great effect.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I reckon mine has to be the pellet bander, it's opened up a whole new set of possibilities since I started using one and I've banded, other than pellets, meat, prawns, crust, sweetcorn, bunches of worms etc etc. all to great effect.

I like the idea of banding a bunch of worms! Definitely trying that on this years 3lb+ perch quest!

BarryC

Reaction score
Was gonna say my seymo loop tyer but realised I could if pushed tie a loop without it. But theres no way I could tie a size 18 spade end to a 1.5 lb hooklength without my hook tyer.

Steve2020

Reaction score
Based on the fact that I used it frequently both on the water's edge and at home it's gotta be the matchman hook tyer, perfectly tyed spade end hooks every time :)...
Had to edit this post Jan as I've just noticed another post that is relevant to me, my addition is the pellet bander I'd be useless without it as I've already attempted attaching pellets with bands without it unsuccessfully.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

Last edited:

paul1234

Reaction score
Drennan grippa stops and float stops,and korum line snips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidgergj

Reaction score

it was only last week that i realised other baits other than pellets could be banded........dont know why i didnt realise sooner :eek:mg::eek:mg:

InteraX

Reaction score
Drennan boilie needle (the short orange-handled type), which apart from hair-rigging baits, is used as a knot picker and for help with tying knots (threading short ends through tiny loops).

I have to second that. Incredibly useful for knots, but almost useless for boilies. Splits them almost all the time.

There are 2 types that Drennan do. One which has a tapered shaft and a formed hook at the end which is the one I use for knots. I use it all the time.

The other is a proper needle with a barb which is great for boilies.

The other item has to be my knot pullers. Great for making sure they are tight and won't give.

Sent on the move.

blackout

Reaction score
disgorger!
I couldnt fish without one and very handy yesterday on the L&L canal with them perch.