Revels

jake182

Reaction score
I'm fishing revels in Dorset in a couple of weeks, has anyone got any advice on tench fishing here, best lake, best method, I'm going for a long weekend so I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I go,

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

aebitim

Reaction score
Revels is well stocked with carp and silvers and the tench can be hard to get to as the carp move in quickly. The best bet if you want tench is probably the old match lake above the predator lake.

jake182

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a bit challenging then,

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Is it work taking the marker rod?

jack sprat

Reaction score
I don't fish Revels very often but it is/was (unless they've suddenly opened up some much bigger lakes) a series of very small ponds, even the top lake (might be the old match lake) was only a moderate waggler cast to the island, so a marker rod might be overkill. Fun fishing but hardly a serious tench water. The best (and serious) tench fishing locally is in some of the big pits around Ringwood but I think they're mainly club (Christchurch or Ringwood clubs) only. Ringwood Tackle or Avon Angling in Ringwood know more.

sagalout

Reaction score
If you want a serious tench water our club has a tench specific water, Linhay on the Rackerhayes complex, with no carp, it's £6.00 a day (dawn til dusk) or £10 for 24 hours or £50 for a year night and day and several other waters. See here Newton Abbot Fishing Association, South Devon Fishing Club, Newton Abbot Fishing Club | Newton Abbot Fishing Association

Note if you are reading the water descriptions some are a bit out of date, for instance Linhay does not have carp and Weedy's 4/5lb carp are up to 17+ now.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

If you want to have butchers go to bing maps and search on "rydon industrial estate" then goto the aerial view.

jake182

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about that jack sprat lol I'll have a look into linhay could well be the next trip

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
If you want a serious tench water our club has a tench specific water, Linhay on the Rackerhayes complex, with no carp, it's £6.00 a day (dawn til dusk) or £10 for 24 hours or £50 for a year night and day and several other waters. See here Newton Abbot Fishing Association, South Devon Fishing Club, Newton Abbot Fishing Club | Newton Abbot Fishing Association

Note if you are reading the water descriptions some are a bit out of date, for instance Linhay does not have carp and Weedy's 4/5lb carp are up to 17+ now.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

If you want to have butchers go to bing maps and search on "rydon industrial estate" then goto the aerial view.

Win! Been looking for a solid Tench water nearish to me for ages. The website said it's locked though, yet you can buy a day ticket? How do you get access to the complex if you are buying a day ticket without a key?

Also you mention S.L.A.C on the website. I'm an Ilminster member, do I have to fill a book out or get permission etc lake certain Dorchester lakes?

Thanks

Paul

sagalout

Reaction score
My understanding having asked the club's font of all knowledge is that SLAC has rights to waters and member clubs can fish those waters, it is not an inter club thing, so your Ilminster ticket (assuming Ilminster is a SLAC member) gets you onto SLAC waters not other clubs waters, just like NAFA members can't fish Ilminster waters. Hopefully that's clear!

Dunno why the website says it's locked, try searching for Newton Abbot Fishing Association and go in that way, as the actress said to the bishop. Oh stupid boy Pike, you mean the complex is locked! Yeah it's £2.00 refundable deposit for a key, most people keep the key, it fits all club waters and most are kept locked because of the lease and also we have had one or two problems with stock theft.

The Racherhayes complex has good tench stocks in all the waters and the tench are big in all but Wheel.

If you look at the aerial view, from the car park behind Tescos (Tescos is marked as Costa Coffee on the view I got, 24 hour tescos by the way) the first water to the left of the car park is imaginatively named "First", the water to the right of "First" is "Island", there is a path running between them that leads to "Wheel" a snake lake, to the left of wheel is "Linhay", to the right top end of "Wheel" is "Dores" this is full members only no day tickets, and at the top of "Linhay" and to the left of "Dores" is "Weedy".

If you want more info on swims and waters let me know by PM and I will do my best to help. If you want to arrive at dark o'clock to start fishing I could maybe, possibly, perhaps organise you a ticket and a key and meet you at the gate with them.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Oh yeah, given your dogging thread I will just mention there are no dogs allowed on Rackerhayes, they are allowed on other club waters.

I do the the 303/358 roundabout to Torquay in about hour at sensible speeds so to Rackerhayes should be about 45 minutes.

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
My understanding having asked the club's font of all knowledge is that SLAC has rights to waters and member clubs can fish those waters, it is not an inter club thing, so your Ilminster ticket (assuming Ilminster is a SLAC member) gets you onto SLAC waters not other clubs waters, just like NAFA members can't fish Ilminster waters. Hopefully that's clear!

Dunno why the website says it's locked, try searching for Newton Abbot Fishing Association and go in that way, as the actress said to the bishop. Oh stupid boy Pike, you mean the complex is locked! Yeah it's £2.00 refundable deposit for a key, most people keep the key, it fits all club waters and most are kept locked because of the lease and also we have had one or two problems with stock theft.

The Racherhayes complex has good tench stocks in all the waters and the tench are big in all but Wheel.

If you look at the aerial view, from the car park behind Tescos (Tescos is marked as Costa Coffee on the view I got, 24 hour tescos by the way) the first water to the left of the car park is imaginatively named "First", the water to the right of "First" is "Island", there is a path running between them that leads to "Wheel" a snake lake, to the left of wheel is "Linhay", to the right top end of "Wheel" is "Dores" this is full members only no day tickets, and at the top of "Linhay" and to the left of "Dores" is "Weedy".

If you want more info on swims and waters let me know by PM and I will do my best to help. If you want to arrive at dark o'clock to start fishing I could maybe, possibly, perhaps organise you a ticket and a key and meet you at the gate with them.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Oh yeah, given your dogging thread I will just mention there are no dogs allowed on Rackerhayes, they are allowed on other club waters.

I do the the 303/358 roundabout to Torquay in about hour at sensible speeds so to Rackerhayes should be about 45 minutes.

Firstly - Ha! Given my "Dogging thread". For anyone who read's this, I do not partake in Dogging. I have a dog, and wondered about taking him fishing with me.

Secondly thanks for your informative reply, it's a great help. I wouldn't bring the mutt with me anyway. My Father in law has never caught a tench, and every bleeding time I take him to a venue where I catch Tench, he always ends up catching Carp instead! So the next time he visits I was looking at taking him to a Tench venue. Looks like this fits the bill!

Also Ilminster is a SLAC member. I fished one of the Dorcherster club lakes near me recently, after paying a relatively small fee as the too is a SLAC member. Will try and organise my weekends a bit better over the coming weeks and will PM you for further info. Puppy training eats time though! Not been fishing in over a week now!