Method feeder bait

big bad barry

Reaction score
Can someone offer a bit of assistance? I have started using the method feeder and doing ok, if fishing with meat does it get squashed in the feeder or is there a tip to prevent this? Ta much!,

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you're worried about squashing soft baits such as meat on the feeder just leave it hanging loose. Cagey fish are more likely to avoid the pile of groundbait or micros on the feeder and will more likely take the nearest morsel.

robtherake

Reaction score
If you're concerned about it coming off try a small piece of peeled Peperami or one of the tougher meat types, like the Matteson's U-shaped smoked sausage (the garlic variety is excellent!).

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Rather than squashing the meat onto the method feeder, I would prepare all my ingredients in a liquidiser before I left the house. Bread to a fine crumb, sweetcorn to a near liquid, meat to a chosen sized particle and so on. Once I'm happy with the size or breakdown of my ingredients, I bag them and mix them on the bank, to ensure I havn't created a pastey, gummy mix that doesn't fall apart when it hits the bottom.

A bit of preperation goes a long way.

jamstorr86

Reaction score
Why not try a semi-buoyant boilie? don't bury it in your method feeder, and use a short hook length, and the boilie should just sit semi-buoyant around your method feeder. When the fish come along, the boilie will be the first thing they see.

I also use sweetcorn, 3 pieces on a hair rig, with a short hooklength. Sometimes works well if the bait is buried within the method feeder, sometimes it doesn't. depends on how fickle the fish are o the day.

Steve2020

Reaction score
Get yourself some plain brown crumb and add your own particles, a small percentage of soaked pellets some crushed hemp and various other bits and Bobs your imagination is the only limit. Just remember you don't want to fill up the fish so go easy with the add ins.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

pidgergj

Reaction score
If you're concerned about it coming off try a small piece of peeled Peperami or one of the tougher meat types, like the Matteson's U-shaped smoked sausage (the garlic variety is excellent!).

They taste far too good to feed to fish!!!!!!!!

robtherake

Reaction score
They taste far too good to feed to fish!!!!!!!!

I used to eat more than the fish did. Many a morning after a night session I'd have to go home early after eating all the bait...just call me fatty :D

BTW, 9 times out of 10, a white or fluoro mini boilie is as good as anything. There are little pots of them available in various colours and sizes at about a fiver. You get tons in a pot, so it's more economical than you might think.

Banded pellet or dead maggot score just as well on other days. Summat I picked up from a mag article is to use a very short hooklength and a buoyant bait, which then pops itself up by degrees as the line works free from the bait on the feeder. This approach sees a lot of fish hooked in the bottom lip.

Plastics also work well on occasion - always worth a try.