Is this pole any good?

derwentbob

Reaction score
I have an old carbon pole that I bought second hand but unused maybe ten years ago. I have never used it because I haven't been fishing waters conducive to pole fishing, I am usually fishing with my back against a concrete dam wall. However after my maiden trip to a commercial fishery I might give it a try there.

It is a Leeda Powerhouse Powertube 1100, 11m elastic rating 14, 990g. It has been elasticated but I don't know with what so I may re-do it myself, especially as it has been unused for over ten years. It won't have been an expensive pole, I only gave £20 for it second hand, but will it be OK for commercial carp and silverfish? If so what elastic should I fit and will universal top kits such as the Drennan ones be likely to fit?

Any advice you can give will be gratefully received.

john step

Reaction score
With tongue in cheek I say any old pole would be good to give a commercial a try ;) If ever I decided to give golf a try and I had a few cheap old clubs in the garage I would use those first to see how I liked it.
If there be monsters use the heaviest elastic the pole is rated to. 14 Would cope with most. But as you say, new elastic is a must as it is part of the line and you wouldn't use old rotten line.
The commercial aficionados will have more on this.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I would take out the old elastic and take your topkit and the section it pushes onto to your tackle shop. Buy some medium elastic ( eg size 10 ) .
Use your existing bung but buy an appropriate sized Stonfo connector.
You can also see if the universal kits fit your 3/4 section. I think you can cut them down if they're too big in diameter. I'd imagine it will be ok to use at 9.5m but may sag a bit with the 11m section on.
And if you haven't got one already, get a roller.

derwentbob

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will give it a go. The biggest fish I am envisaging is about 4-5lb, nothing huge and the majority seems to be silverfish in the 1-1.5lb region. I know nothing about pole elastic ratings so I didn't know if 14 was useful or not, there seems to be a lot of different kinds out there. I will see if my local shop has top kits otherwise I might have to get one on spec and see if it will fit.